• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe Gum disease, I am so scared

M

M4r13

I am really nervous about writing this post. Last week I went to the dentist for the first time in 8 years. She told me I had neglected my teeth. I have been brushing and using mouthwash but I know I should’ve been going to the dentist but my fear stopped me. She told me I had severe gum disease. She didn’t mention periodontitis but I am so scared about this. She said it could lead to tooth loss. She told me to use corsodyl mouthwash and toothpaste. I have been using these but it’s only been 3 days. I already have missing teeth from extractions from years ago. She told me it may not be possible to fill the gaps in my mouth. I have been booked in for a cleaning appointment. She didn’t seem to think much could be done for me. I left the appointment feeling that there was no hope for me and feeling frightened. There is a dentist in my local area that people on here recommend and who are apparently really good with nervous/anxious patients and I wonder if I should try to make an appointment with them. I only found out about them after my appointment. I honestly feel that my world is ending and I will have to try to get through life with no teeth. I have been crying a lot since my appointment.

Hello, I'm sorry you're feeling so scared and upset. Perhaps go to the cleaning appointment, as that would be very useful, and once your teeth have been cleaned the dentist might have a better idea of how she can help? She seems to be erring on the cautious side, but hasn't yet said that nothing can be done. If you don't feel happy with what she says after that, I would think it won't hurt to get a second opinion from another dentist. There is always hope and a different dentist may have other opinions and suggestions.

Last edited:
Thank you for your very kind reply. It was a major step for me to go to the dentist so that’s why I felt upset afterwards. My plan is to focus on the next step which is to use the mouthwash and toothpaste and then go to my cleaning and then take it from there.

Hi,
First of all well done for facing your fear and going to the dentist in the first place. I think its all well and good the dentist pointing out that you neglected your teeth by not visiting the dentist before now but that's not exactly helpful is it, like you didn't know that already. It doesn't sound as though they were terribly supportive to be honest and I wonder if you might feel more comfortable with one who comes recommended by people who have phobias. I do believe in the dentist being honest with us as I think that's important but I think encouragement and compassion is important too and aswell as stating where we went wrong suggest what we can do to fix it.

IF there isn't anything that can be done for your teeth then she should be saying what else they can do I.e. implants, bridge, dentures etc and look to overcome the problems in the best way possible. Im rambling but I can see why you're so worried and upset, I would be too.

Do you feel able to go to your cleaning appointment? If you do, try it and see what the hygienist says, if not then I'd be inclined to try the other dentist

Lots of luck and keep us updated.

Hi M4r13 :welcome: ,

I'd like to encourage you to meet with the dentist that's been recommended on here. Maybe see how quickly they can get you in, and see their hygienist instead? The behaviour and lack of professionalism of the dentist you saw doesn't really bode well for the rest of the staff (although with hygienists, they sometimes work in several places, so you never know your luck).

So sorry to hear that the first one didn't work out after working up all that courage ?. You'll have a much better experience at the other place, I'm sure ?.

Let us know how you get on!

I also have advanced periodontal disease and I just had LANAP on half my mouth as well as one tooth removed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because the periodontist was very kind and understanding of my fear.

There are things that can be done and my gut tells me that you should see another dentist, especially one that is good with dental anxiety. Have you been referred to a periodontist? That is the person you need to see. For me it was helpful to check dentist reviews, ensure that they use nitrous, and read up on everything so I don't feel so much of a power imbalance going in.

Hi everyone. I’m sorry about not replying earlier. I didn’t go back to the first dentist. I’ve only just had my first check up and hygienist appointments at the new dentist. This has all just happened in the last 2 weeks. I was trying to not think too much about things and to stay away from google as it was just going to worry me and I would have panicked. I’ve to get my broken tooth removed and I’ve to go to the hygienist 4 times per year. Felt much better going to this dentist and I was given all the information about what was happening next and costs etc at the first appointment so I felt like I knew what was going on. They gave me a longer appointment for my check up because they knew I was anxious and they reception staff said I could email my dentist beforehand to tell her my anxieties etc. I know I have a long way to go but I went over major hurdles in seeing both the dentist and hygienist. Thank you again.

Back