• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sharp lingering sensitivity in teeth that were operated on

K

Kri.s

this all began when one of my teeth split down the middle one night in november, i had to get an emergency operation to sort it out, the dentist at the time put in a temp filling, which 2 weeks later was given a smaller filling, then a temporary crown some weeks later, at the same time of the second filling he put fillings in 2 of my other teeth (which have been consistently sensitive to coldness no matter how mild and to a degree hotness) the dentist said that this should settle, it did not.. any way earlier this week he put a crown on the original problem tooth and i told him that i was feeling sensitive pains through the temporary crown and he told me that i shouldn't have been because he had removed the nerve which to me seems logical, but i can't deny that i'm having this pain still, if anything cold touches the crown i feel a sharp sort of painful sensation that lingers for 30 seconds to a minute, this pain is stronger than the pain felt in the teeth with standard fillings (and nerve intact).. so my question is, how is this happening? :confused: thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

There are two possible explanation:
1) The dentist did not remove all the nerve tissue, and there is more left. It might be an untreated canal or a some tissue left at the end (apex) of the canal. If this is the case, the sensitivity to cold should vanish within a few weeks.
2) The sensitivity to cold comes from a neighboring tooth. I know it sounds unlikely for you but it is can happen. If this is the case, the sensitivity will not change.

Ask your dentist to check your teeth using a cold test. That means touching the teeth individually with a cold cotton-role. That's the only way to know what is going on.

All the best

Back