• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I wait for permanent crown on recent root canal tooth?

I

IZZYBELLY2

I had a root canal done a month ago on a super infected premolar. I didn’t realize it was infected since no pain, only noticed on a consult and went to an endodontist to get it done.

I needed a new dentist so I found one that did the crown prep a couple weeks ago. Have had temporary since then. I’m supposed to go back Wednesday for permanent one.

However, I went to a different dentist last week because I didn’t really like the first dentist and wanted to find a more thorough one for the rest of my treatment and get a second opinion. This dentist told me that he would have kept the temporary crown on for 6 months (cemented though) to make sure some healing is happening. He said this should be done so that we wouldn’t have to drill into a fresh crown if retreatment is needed.

He told me it was up to me if I wanted the first dentist to still place the crown or if I wanted him to look under the temp crown and prepare it to last another 5 months. The first dentist didn’t mention any of this and barely talked about the root canal tooth healing etc.

I really don’t know what to do. I trust this new dentist more, but the infection was pretty big since it went unattended for so long because I didn’t know. So I know there’s a decent chance of no healing.

What would be the better thing to do? I’m not freaked out about paying for two crowns potentially…I just want it done right so it can hopefully last me a while.

It's really down to you. As a general rule, I would tend to go more with dentist number 2, but since you've already had the crown made, you might as well put it on, it'll offer more protection to the tooth than the temp will and if it needs drilled through to re-access the root canal, well you're no worse off than if you went with No 2's plan...

It's really down to you. As a general rule, I would tend to go more with dentist number 2, but since you've already had the crown made, you might as well put it on, it'll offer more protection to the tooth than the temp will and if it needs drilled through to re-access the root canal, well you're no worse off than if you went with No 2's plan...
Thanks Gordon. I think that’s what I’m gonna do since it’s paid for.

Back