• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Small piece of gum got pulled off..

A

appley93

Hi. I'm 19 and I have my wisdom teeth growing (all 4) and have really had no problems with them. I still have some teeth that are half-covered in gum, but theres been no issue with my gum health.

Lately my top right wisdom tooth started to grow a bit faster and it pushed some gum between my wisdom tooth and my back teeth, so there was a lump of gum hanging from between those two teeth.

I didn't know what to do about it, but it kept getting smaller each week so I figured it would just go back into my base gums somehow.

I finished eating some eggs today and I was kind of licking my teeth, I felt the lump of gum with my tongue but then the lump came off! :confused:
I spat it out and there was a little bit of blood (but not that much).. My gum doesn't hurt.. It feels like fresh gum (like when your teeth fall out) but its a really small area.

Should I be doing something about this? Does it get infected if I don't do anything..
I've never really had gum 'snapping' off before..

The cure-all for gums is salt water rinses. The danger with wisdom teeth is food getting trapped under the gum that covers it and getting infected -its call pericoronitis. Doesn't hurt to get checked out at the dentist, make sure those wizzies are coming in OK.

rp

Back