• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore gums weeks after root canal

G

Getting Anxious

I had a root canal 2 1/2 years ago on #15- had a hard recovery , mainly with gum problems. I was sore and had bad burning in that side of my mouth, gums and tongue. Underwent deep cleaning of entire mouth and then flap surgery over #15. It took about a year to feel normal again.I had another tooth extracted at the same time due to a failed root canal. I swore I'd never have another one. Fast forward 2 months ago- Burning tongue and slight discomfort on same side. Dentist says xray shows something around tooth, sends me to endo who says "it's nowhere near extraction" and he can re-do the root canal through the crown. Being optimistic, I choose to do it. Endo said he "found no surprises" in there (?) and to come back in a month to have him finish it up. It's been almost 3 weeks. I pretty much have no nerve pain but the soreness around tooth and roof of my mouth is really bad- no swelling, just sore. This is similar to what happened during tbe first rct. Everthing online says I should have been pain free in a week the most. I can't go through another year like this. I'm considering going to an oral surgeon and having it yanked. Is it possible that the soreness is just taking long to subside? I am 70 years old and in good health, see my dentist every 4 months and don't want to go back on anxiety meds which the tooth drove me to last time. Any advice would be aporeciated.

The soreness doesn't sound related to a root canal, as in if it was failing then you'd have much more specific pain.
Best plan would be to go and see your general dentist in the New Year if it's not improving. It's impossible to diagnose this without examining you in person.

I went back to my endo and he said the root canal looked good and the discomfort was probably due to inflammation. I expressed my concerns about the amount of time to heal. He said everyone heals at their own pace and there's no set time and I'm not weird. He gave me a script for a steroid pack "if i feel I need it" and an appointment for another month to finish up the root canal. He spent a lot of time talking to me and didn't just shoo me off. I'm hesitant about the steroids. Do you think they'd help?

Also, he said not to "baby" that side of my mouth, which I have been doing- pretty much only using the other side. He compared it to starting to get back on a sprained leg- start slowly- it will hurt at first but you'll build it back up. Does that make any sense!

Getting Anxious, I don't have much to add but just I sure hope it starts feeling much better for you and you get to a point of no discomfort or pain real soon.:grouphug:

Getting Anxious, I don't have much to add but just I sure hope it starts feeling much better for you and you get to a point of no discomfort or pain real soon.:grouphug:
Thanks- I'm trying to be optimistic!

Back