• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore, swollen gum!

L

LizzieS

I have a swelling on my gum around one of my canine teeth that is sore and oozes what looks like pus and blood when pressed. All the dentists are currently closed - any idea what I can do at home to ease the situation?

i do have periodontal disease and observe a strict cleaning regime, and I’m terrified of losing any more teeth - help!

I have a swelling on my gum around one of my canine teeth that is sore and oozes what looks like pus and blood when pressed. All the dentists are currently closed - any idea what I can do at home to ease the situation?

i do have periodontal disease and observe a strict cleaning regime, and I’m terrified of losing any more teeth - help!
Lizzie S. Try mixing hot water with salt - Make it salty as you're comfortable with. But not weak.
Swish it all around your mouth with some force.et it soak around the hurting tooth. You can spit it out as frequently as is comfortable for you. But refresh it and keep doing it.
It relieves pain after a bit. Most importantly, it actually can heal or tame infections until you can get some antibiotics.
Good luck. Swish often.

Hi LizzieS,

I hope things have improved for you since the post. it could be a localised flare up of the periodontal disease. This can be caused by something like a bit of food getting stuck under the gum for example. It’s not good news but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll lose the tooth. Canines generally have long roots which means they have more attachment/ foundations in reserve than other teeth so that’s favourable.

Antibiotics will help but it would benefit from a thorough clean out from your dentist as well. If it’s possible for you to arrange this at this time then I’d recommend doing so. As sadieflynn said, warm salty rinses are good for this sort of thing for now. Hopefully you may even have managed to get a prescription for antibiitics at this stage as there’s little doubt that it’s a gum infection that you’re dealing with.

All the best with it,

Niall

Back