• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgery date

  • Thread starter Thread starter LondonChelle
  • Start date Start date
L

LondonChelle

Junior member
Joined
Jun 3, 2016
Messages
6
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted, 16 months ago I made the decision to finally go to the dentist after nearly 10 years of not going. I was referred for sedation to have multiple extractions, however as I'm quite overweight they wouldn't do it so was referred to hospital to have GA.

Fast forward to now, I finally have my date to have 17 extractions (top and bottom) and immediate dentures. My pre op assessment is 18th August, with the surgery booked for 31st August.

I just have a couple of questions from someone who may have been through similar.

1- how long does it take from first impression to having the immediates ready? Obviously I have just under 6 weeks so need to get my skates on. Problem is I've been waiting so long to hear from the hospital that I figured I'd have more than 6 weeks notice and am now worrying that I won't get an appointment and get the immediates made in time.

2- if you have been down the hospital route (U.K. NHS) have you changed your dentist along the journey? Has this caused issues with after care etc? When I first went to the dentist 16 months ago he was adamant I wouldn't be able to have immediates and would have to wait 2 months for dentures. The surgeon at the hospital said it would be fine to have immediates, however I'm now wondering if I'd be better to find a different dentist to actually do the impressions and make the denture. My dentist doesn't fill me with confidence and came across as very judgemental, which considering I'd explained my phobia to him before hand was dis heartening.

3- how long have people taken off work for this?

4- Finally, it's a random question I know, but could any dentist or anyone who has had work done under GA answer.. how do they manage your airway under GA when doing oral surgery? This isn't a fear thing, I'm genuinely interested. Surly they can't do that work and have a breathing tube there at the same time?

Anyway, thanks for reading!
 
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted, 16 months ago I made the decision to finally go to the dentist after nearly 10 years of not going. I was referred for sedation to have multiple extractions, however as I'm quite overweight they wouldn't do it so was referred to hospital to have GA.

Fast forward to now, I finally have my date to have 17 extractions (top and bottom) and immediate dentures. My pre op assessment is 18th August, with the surgery booked for 31st August.

I just have a couple of questions from someone who may have been through similar.

1- how long does it take from first impression to having the immediates ready? Obviously I have just under 6 weeks so need to get my skates on. Problem is I've been waiting so long to hear from the hospital that I figured I'd have more than 6 weeks notice and am now worrying that I won't get an appointment and get the immediates made in time. Usually a couple of weeks. Plan well ahead so your dentures are ready before the extractions.

2- if you have been down the hospital route (U.K. NHS) have you changed your dentist along the journey? Has this caused issues with after care etc? When I first went to the dentist 16 months ago he was adamant I wouldn't be able to have immediates and would have to wait 2 months for dentures. The surgeon at the hospital said it would be fine to have immediates, however I'm now wondering if I'd be better to find a different dentist to actually do the impressions and make the denture. My dentist doesn't fill me with confidence and came across as very judgemental, which considering I'd explained my phobia to him before hand was dis heartening. Important you find someone you can trust. Must be an explanation why your original dentist metioned 2 months and that is usually because immediate dentures are not always a perfect fit from the onset.

3- how long have people taken off work for this? Usually nil

4- Finally, it's a random question I know, but could any dentist or anyone who has had work done under GA answer.. how do they manage your airway under GA when doing oral surgery? This isn't a fear thing, I'm genuinely interested. Surly they can't do that work and have a breathing tube there at the same time?

Anyway, thanks for reading!

dkd
 

Similar threads

S
Replies
4
Views
1K
ScardyCatButCatChew
S
N
Replies
0
Views
581
Natzuk
N
C
Replies
7
Views
3K
TheGeek
T
Back
Top