• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swallowed Temporary Crown

G

Former Member
I had a temporary crown put on yesterday. I think I swallowed it while eating. My dentist won't be in the office tomorrow. What can I do? Is there something I can get from the drugstore to hide the ugly (it's in front). I'm supposed to be at a breakfast Saturday morning to see some old high school classmates and now this happens. Thanks for any advice.

Hi there - unfortunately, nobody has come across an over-the-counter fake tooth device yet (the closest thing that has been recommended are Imako do-it-yourself upper dentures, see Dental Fear Central's DIY section). I've looked on the internet for special effects and theatre supplies, but no real luck there, either. Though your dentist may have such a device (I've seen them on some people, don't know what they're called but they look pretty plasticky - basically like a white square piece of cardboard, it's very obvious). Do you have an emergency number for a dentist who covers for your dentist when s/he's not around? If so, give them a call. Sometimes dental offices have a prerecorded message on their answering machine outlining who to turn to in an emergency when the office is closed.

Swallowed objects will usually pass through your system uneventfully. From a 2002 usenet post: "If the appliance (that's the crown) passes thought he gut intact, you can probably have it sterilized and re-cemented" (that's assuming it hasn't passed already). And: "Standard advice: Eat bread. It surrounds the crown for part of the journey."
It's a very good idea to use gloves!

;D sounds a bit disgusting, I know... but you might find it in time to have it sterilized and re-bonded before Saturday's breakfast. Don't ask me what the odds are...

Thanks for your reply and your advice. I called the dentist and was able to get in to see him. So I guess I'm good to go. The dentist today said he actually has patients that have swallowed gold crowns. He said that they would be 'panning for gold' when trying to recover them.

Back