• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Telling My Mom

Thank you :) I am really happy! Here is a small poll for you guys.....

I have an appointment set for a cleaning on the 16th, but I had the option of doing the fillings first. I am in some pain, but nothing that I can't handle. Should I call them back and say I want fillings first, or should I stick with the cleaning? Take your pick and tell me what you think!

:yayy:
YOU DID IT!!! YAY!!
That is so awesome! You must feel SO relieved right about now!! Actually, I bet you're exhausted, especially from getting up so early and not sleeping well last night. I am THRILLED for you that you liked the dentist and his staff and that you have a plan in place that you can definitely handle!!! I'm so proud of you and hope you are SO PROUD OF YOURSELF...you totally should be!!!! This was huge!!!

Thank you :) I am really happy! Here is a small poll for you guys.....

I have an appointment set for a cleaning on the 16th, but I had the option of doing the fillings first. I am in some pain, but nothing that I can't handle. Should I call them back and say I want fillings first, or should I stick with the cleaning? Take your pick and tell me what you think!

Well, if it was me I would say cleaning first as this allows you to ease into it more gently and work up to the fillings. But…some people find cleanings difficult so it's really down to your personal preference. I would suggest you do whichever of those two things you find easier to cope with first to boost your confidence.

Most important thing is to do whichever feels right for *you*

Hope that helps!

Thank you Mugz! I am happy that I did it. Although, I am worried that I will back out of the fillings at the last minute like I did last time, and don't know how I will make myself go to that appointment. At least I can handle a cleaning. Those usually aren't too bad for me. The listening to music thing helped me the most. I held my Ipod the whole time I was in there except for the x-rays, because obviously you can't have that around the machines.

Tink, thank you for your input. I still will probably do the cleaning first, because I am familiar with that process. My only problem is that I cancelled out of my dental appointment last year because I was afraid of the fillings. I guess that I will try to make the appointment as soon as possible after the cleaning that way I won't have to dread it as long.

Another question for people with long hair.... How do you fix your hair before your appointment so that it won't be in your eyes, yet it won't make your head feel weird when you lay down? My hair is a little past my shoulders, and I wore it in a low side bun and had to take it out so I could lay back, which basically destroyed my hair. I typically wouldn't freak out too bad over this, but I had class that afternoon and didn't have a hair brush on me to fix it back.

T
Another question for people with long hair.... How do you fix your hair before your appointment so that it won't be in your eyes, yet it won't make your head feel weird when you lay down? My hair is a little past my shoulders, and I wore it in a low side bun and had to take it out so I could lay back, which basically destroyed my hair. I typically wouldn't freak out too bad over this, but I had class that afternoon and didn't have a hair brush on me to fix it back.

Gah, I've never found a good answer to that one! (I'm generally incompetent with hair as it is, but I have plenty of it…)

Any sort of slide or accessory in the back just gets in the way when you lie back, and if I leave it down it just hangs down and gets in the way. I generally opt for a very unglamorous low ponytail.

And bring a hairbrush for after ;D

I packed one in my backpack when I got home that night for that purpose! Lol!

I posted this question on Mugz's thread, so I thought that I could also post it on mine.

I am going to have to have 6 fillings done, and I have never had local anesthesia. I was wondering if people could tell me what that feels like. I thought that I have read a description about LA before on here, but I can't seem to find it.

I am usually not too afraid of getting a regular shot in the arm, or even IV's, although I still get a little anxiety right before, but the thought of having a shot in my mouth petrifies me. I know that there are little kids that get cavities filled and don't bat an eye about it, but I am weird and different. I realize that other people are afraid of the same thing. That is why I am asking.

Also, if there are certain coping mechanisms that could help me get through fillings, that would be great!

Thanks guys!

Not sure but maybe this is the article you are referring to?

The last time I had it done what the dentist did was apply some numbing gel to the area before the injection. Then wait a couple minutes for that to set in. For me the injections don't feel any worse than a short pinch like with other shots. After that they will probably let you sit up for a few minutes to let the numbness kick in before they begin working. The lip on the side of your face where the injection is placed will feel numb and so will half of your tongue if they do it on the lower jaw. I'm a needle phobic myself so I have to keep my eyes closed during the injection, that helps me get through that part.

Thank you Sol! Not a fan of needles. I have a cleaning scheduled for next Tuesday, and the appointment after is when I will start with the fillings. Last time, I chickened out on the fillings appointment. I hope that I won't this time.

Okay my lovelies, here is the report from today's appointment. Objective: Cleaning.

Public transit comes to pick me up at 7:30 AM for my appointment, which is at 8:40 AM. What is the first thing that the driver, whom I have slowly started to become friends with, says to me?
" You have to go to the dentist first thing in the morning?"
I respond: "Yeah, just for a cleaning, nothing major."
Him "Man, you're brave to tackle this in the morning!"
(Me cursing him on the inside for striking out what confidence I had.)

Drive up there pleasant after that. Get to the office about 40 minutes before my appointment time. Walk in, and I am greeted by my first name by the receptionist. Nice! Sit and wait about 15 minutes, and a hygienist taps me on the shoulder and says to come with her.

She introduces herself and has me sit in "the chair". She makes small talk with me, double checking my x-rays and telling me about the lady who will do my cleaning. At this point, I was wishing it would be her, because she was really kind and warm.

Other hygienist comes in and introduces herself and looks at my x-rays and again makes small talk with me. Asks about my flossing and brushing habits. Asks about school. Leans me back in the chair. Of course, I have to scoot up because I am so short that my head wouldn't reach the head rest. Hygienist #1 brings a pillow to go under my butt to help me stay up in place :giggle:

Cleaning and polishing process wasn't bad. It hurt a little when she would hit my gums on accidents, but didn't mention gingivitis like the last two dentists made a huge deal of. Told me I should floss more often (who DOESN'T hear that?), but was overall good natured. I just kept staring at the corner of the room and listening to the music that was playing (I even made it through without gripping my Ipod for dear life! It stayed in my purse on a chair beside me.)

She painted fluoride on my teeth and told me that I could eat right after if I wanted to, just not to brush until I went to bed. She asked if I had any questions, and I forced myself (Why I felt nervous about asking is beyond me!) to describe the process of fillings and what would be done. She explained it nicely and didn't add words like shot or injection. She merely said that the teeth needing fillings would be "put to sleep" and I wouldn't feel the anesthetic go into my gums because of the gel that would be applied first. Super nice!

Ending thoughts....
1) I am going to get silver fillings because they are cheaper and the cavities are in the back.
2) I hope the hygienist is the same one who will be helping the dentist they day that I am there for fillings. I like her. Mugz, making friends was a great idea. I think that I established a trusting relationship with her so far.
3) All of these positive things are great, but this still does not guarantee that you all will here about my butt being in "the chair" on October 2nd (Dooms Day). Still scared as hell. A little less, but still scared. I asked to be on the cancellation list so that I may be able to get it over with sooner.

BOOM THERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG....YOU ARE MY IDOL!!!!
I read it again....yep, you GOT IN THE CHAIR, no tears, no shaking, no death grip on your ipod....NO WAY!!!
SO AWESOME!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!! YOU SO DID IT!!!
You got through a whole cleaning!!! I am so impressed. Really, truly impressed!!
So, one appointment down WITH a new friend .... actually 2 if you count the "kind and warm one", really 3 since the receptionist knows your name! You know, you can call back and ask if the hygienist or the one who seated you can assist with your filling. Chances are if they aren't assistants they won't be doing the technical stuff but even if they don't do a thing but hold your hand or check on you it is WELL WORTH a phone call just to see if maybe they are available. Usually they are very flattered to know you think so highly of them to request their help and it gets you a little tlc on "the day" when you could use a friendly face.

My second suggestion is to send a little thank you card if you really liked her and felt like she was gentle and took extra time with you - maybe explaining the whole filling thing etc. To me, anyone that doesn't ADD to my phobia deserves a thank you....because it is VERY easy for that to happen with a careless remark or heavy hand. I sent a card to my hygienist and in many ways it was the best thing I ever did. I was sincerely grateful to her as it was my second cleaning in 20 years and I was a wreck, and SHE was sincerely grateful to know she helped me and from that point on she became the one to call me about any upcoming appointments or medication changes or whatever...and I will never forget her kindness (though I left without scheduling another cleaning :confused: ).

I'd suggest that note for "homework". You'll feel good about doing it too. Trust me. Theraputic in a weird way.

I don't know what goes on in the office environment before or after you get there either, if they talk among themselves about patients that are difficult or whatever, or if they share nice notes patients write but it can bring you some good karma all the way around.

I do wonder about the chatter. I wouldn't call it gossip, I guess, if it is between hygienists or assistants and isn't mean spirited and pertains to your care. I know my sister had to drive me to my root canal appointment and while she was sitting in the lobby could hear the assistants talking to the receptionist about taking forever to be sedated and refusing to sit in the chair an hour later.... Not cool. They did it quietly and weren't "nasty" and were also behind a wall, not realizing there was someone in the waiting area. Thank goodness my sister was the only one there and that she kind of laughed about it....but I didn't think ANY PART of my SHEER TERROR was open for discussion in that way. I guess there's fear and then there's FEAR. They hadn't seen the difference until then.

My point is they can see you as fear with a face or they can see YOU facing your fear....they react differently. It helps for them to know YOU first....just like you did today. YAY YOU!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!

I cried a little when I read this Mugz!

I like the idea of being someone's idol. That makes me happy!

Still, don't count on my ass being calm, cool, and collected about the fillings. My mother keeps talking about how bad the shots hurt, and that is starting to piss me off because the hygienist told me that it wouldn't hurt very much at all. Still, nervous all the same.

Here is a pic of my new sunglasses, modeled by mwah!

Attachments

• downsize (1).jpg
    downsize (1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 15
Listen to your hygienist...not your mom. Seriously. She remembers it differently because back in the "old days" they didn't numb you with any gel first, the medicine had a different chemistry to it and burned like nobody's business, the needles were a thicker gauge AND they pushed it so fast thinking they were doing you a favor getting it over quickly but really that just made it worse. I know...I was there in the 70's and 80's!! There are several people here who would back me up on this too. So take a deep breath, tell your momma no more drama or to put a sock in it (nicely of course) and take it from those who know....really know. US.
If a phobic tells you it doesn't hurt, honest to God it doesn't hurt. We wouldn't lie to you. I promise.

I know that you guys wouldn't lie to me. She had a tooth pulled last year. Maybe the dentist just sucked at shots an made it hurt. That is what I am telling myself.

She want me to go to the same guy to get my tooth #19 pulled too. I really don't want to if he is like that.

Hi CollegeBound

For what it's worth, here's my two pence worth on the Local Anaesthetic thing as someone who has recently had a couple of these (last one was last week ;)). If we score the discomfort on a scale of 0 to 10 where 0 = no discernible pain and 10 being the worst pain imaginable I would score my two at an average of 0.5, to be honest I didn't even feel the needle going in and my dentist delivers the anaesthetic so slowly and smoothly that I felt nothing, the anaesthetic did it's job very effectively so both procedures were completely painless.

Its very much dependant upon the technique and skill of the individual dentist, mine uses a cotton roll soaked in numbing gel, that is placed in the area to be numbed, it's left there to sit for 30 secs to a minute then he removes that and delivers the local. In the past some dentists were in a hurry to get the whole thing over that it tended to get rushed and as a result it could be somewhat painful at times.

As far as being on the receiving end, we can help to not panic the dentist into rushing by relaxing a little (that's a big ask and easy to say, I know :scared:) and it helps to breathe through your nose nice and steadily that way the dentist can take his or her time. It also helps if you trust your dentist. If you are concerned about the guy your mom wants you to use, say no and make your own choice, remember you are the customer and therefore you have full control of what goes on.

Hope this is somewhat helpful, it works for me anyway and for me has helped make the whole thing very comfortable, think I may even end up falling asleep at my next appointment :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You will be totally fine:) Trust me on that one

PS: Loving the Shades, great pic!

Last edited:
Congrats again on getting through your appointment! And, love the shades :). I'll also put in my 2 cents on local anesthetic as the resident runsoutofofficescrying, faintsatthesightofneedles needlephobe of the group.

First of all, your mother has no business trying to scare you like that -- it is soooo not helpful. Second, using Spike's scale of 0-10 (Spike -- I hope you don't mind :) ), the injections I have had probably average around a 1.5. I've has many where I've felt nothing but a little pressure -- sort of a weird feeling where I know something is there, but no pain at all. I've had many where I've felt a little pinch for a second or 2. And, in the spirit of honestly, I've had a couple that have burned a little -- but still, nothing painful enough to make me jump out of the chair screaming. My dentist may not be quite as skilled with giving injections as Spike's wonderful dentist, but he's able to keep me calm with distraction and humor and, all of his dental work looks great and has stood the test of time. He also ALWAYS stops if I raise my hand and sometimes even if I don't and I'm looking uncomfortable. Because of all of this, I'm able to trust him and this is what gets me through appointments.

I think what makes them at all manageable for me is the following: (1) eyes shut the whole time (2) my dentist will talk to me and try to distract me (3) deep breaths like Spike mentioned -- I always take a deep breath right before in order to try to calm myself down a bit -- I usually do this once when the dentist is putting the chair back and a few times when he is putting the topical numbing gel on (I've been practicing diaphragmatic breathing for years to manage anxiety, so this has become relatively easy for me to do even in times of extreme stress) and then breath through my nose slowly during the injection. (4) Because I have fainted before, I insist on having the chair all the way back (my dentist does this anyway, but the oral surgeons I have gone to did not) and sometimes staying there for a bit after so that I am sure that I won't faint -- this is NOT at all to scare you, but just to mention that if you start to feel dizzy, woozy, shaky, etc., ask to have the chair put back -- this will help!

Once it's over, you will honestly wonder what the big deal was... I promise!

Congrats again on getting through your appointment! And, love the shades :). I'll also put in my 2 cents on local anesthetic as the resident runsoutofofficescrying, faintsatthesightofneedles needlephobe of the group.

First of all, your mother has no business trying to scare you like that -- it is soooo not helpful. Second, using Spike's scale of 0-10 (Spike -- I hope you don't mind :) ), the injections I have had probably average around a 1.5. I've has many where I've felt nothing but a little pressure -- sort of a weird feeling where I know something is there, but no pain at all. I've had many where I've felt a little pinch for a second or 2. And, in the spirit of honestly, I've had a couple that have burned a little -- but still, nothing painful enough to make me jump out of the chair screaming. My dentist may not be quite as skilled with giving injections as Spike's wonderful dentist, but he's able to keep me calm with distraction and humor and, all of his dental work looks great and has stood the test of time. He also ALWAYS stops if I raise my hand and sometimes even if I don't and I'm looking uncomfortable. Because of all of this, I'm able to trust him and this is what gets me through appointments.

I think what makes them at all manageable for me is the following: (1) eyes shut the whole time (2) my dentist will talk to me and try to distract me (3) deep breaths like Spike mentioned -- I always take a deep breath right before in order to try to calm myself down a bit -- I usually do this once when the dentist is putting the chair back and a few times when he is putting the topical numbing gel on (I've been practicing diaphragmatic breathing for years to manage anxiety, so this has become relatively easy for me to do even in times of extreme stress) and then breath through my nose slowly during the injection. (4) Because I have fainted before, I insist on having the chair all the way back (my dentist does this anyway, but the oral surgeons I have gone to did not) and sometimes staying there for a bit after so that I am sure that I won't faint -- this is NOT at all to scare you, but just to mention that if you start to feel dizzy, woozy, shaky, etc., ask to have the chair put back -- this will help!

Once it's over, you will honestly wonder what the big deal was... I promise!

Yes, FearfulInMA makes some excellent points above and I don't mind at all about using the "Scale" a score of 1.5 is pretty amazing anyway, especially if you trust your dentist!

The Stop signal is very important and I started off telling my new dentist that I might need a break or 2 during proceedings, he was totally fine with that and we agreed a signal and he stuck to his word so when I stuck up my hand he stopped right on cue.

I always used to keep my eyes shut but to be honest it really doesn't bother me any more, whilst he's doing any noisy stuff I have the Ipod turned up pretty high with the mute accessible in the event he wants to chat, he always asks what the playlist is as he likes to listen to it sometimes :ROFLMAO: As long as I don't hum whilst he's working lol.

I'm sure you will be fine, you just need to let the dentist know up front what you like or don't like and he/she will do their best to make it as easy as possible, also you are in complete control of the whole thing, that should make you feel better as you are working as a team with your dentist ;D

I. Moved. My. Appointment. To . Tomorrow. What am i smoking guys? How the hell am i going to do this?

OMG! You've totally got this!!! So much less time to stress out about it. What time is your appointment? Can't wait to hear how well it goes and to maybe even read about it under 'success stories'.

Sending good thoughts!

Fearful, my appointment is at 2:40 tomorrow afternoon, right after my math class. I am in Speech right now and can't concentrate on what the teacher is teaching. How am I going to get through my classes like this? I just want to cry and scream just like with my first appointment.