• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary filling has changed

D

DentalFun

I'm mid way through a 2 stage root canal procedure (which was very tolerable thanks to my excellent dentist). They gave me a filling which I didn't realise until later was too high. In other words it was the first place my teeth connected when I bit down, which was very annoying.

I was trying to avoid contacting my teeth on it but I tend to chomp and grind my teeth when I sleep and when I woke up in the morning the filling isn't proud any more and my bite is back to normal. Have I pushed the filling down into the tooth or ground off the top of it, or what? I'm worried this is going to compromise the integrity of the seal and infection will get in. I don't have any pain in the tooth and haven't done since I left the dentists.

I will probably call the dentist to get advice unless someone can tell me this is what is supposed to happen to temporary fillings. I also think this is a good thread to have answered as I haven't found an answer to this by searching.

Does anyone have any advice?

Temporary filling declining can happen between the stages of the root canal treatment as the roots are not completely sealed and filled yet and the tooth is still 'working', it also has to do with the material the filling is made of (designed to be able to get removed easily to process with the treatment on the next visit). If the filling falls too deeply it might be good to give your dentist a call.

Hi,

The best indicator for a problem is pain/sensitivity. I guess you don’t feel any so it is safe to say there is nothing to worry about.
It might be that you chipped the filling off, it could also be that the tooth was slightly elevated due to inflation the tip of the root, and now this inflammation is less and the tooth is back to its original height.

Back