• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of upcoming checkup

S

Samereynolds

I’ve already had an emergency appointment with my dentist about impacted wisdom teeth and this was my first appointment since I was a child. She pointed out that I needed a few fillings and to deal with my broken molar. I’m sure she noticed a bunch of other problems too. Now I have my proper checkup on Wednesday and I’m terrified of what else I’ll find out. I know I have tartar buildup and some gum recession on my front bottom teeth. Possible gumline decay too on front bottom teeth as there are black parts. I just want to bury my head in the sand and ignore it all but I know I need to deal with it. I’ve already paid the deposit for my appointment so I need to go.

Hi there!
Speaking from experience, burying your head and ignoring the problem will make it so much worse later on. Now, my problem ended up being much much worse than what you’ll probably find out yours is. Tartar buildup, gum recession and slight decay are all easily treatable early on. I urge you to not think about what all is wrong and think instead of the positive steps you’re taking to address these issues. Sometimes there ends up being less wrong than what your mind imagines and to me, knowing is always better than not knowing. Best of luck. :clover::clover:

Thanks for the encouragement. I know I need to go and it’s better to resolve all these problems sooner than later before they get worse.