• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thisismyjournal (thisisme)

Wow!! I’m sooooo happy for you!!! You did it!!!! I’m so glad it wasn’t terrible for you. The worst is now over. It’s so reassuring to hear positive experiences ?

Today, I’ve realized how far I’ve come. I remember when the thought of the dentist (gosh, just saying the word) would make my heart race. Now, it’s like I’ve been to the dentist 3 times in a month!

One of my biggest fears is they would make fun/say bad stuff about my teeth. I know I have higher canines (they aren’t embedded in my gum, but they never came fully down) and some overcrowding. I avoided going for so long because I was so afraid they would say how horrible it was and force me to get braces asap, but they are focused on getting my teeth healthy. In fact, the only person who mentioned braces so far has been myself.

In three weeks from tomorrow, all my fillings will be filled! I am a tad worried about the deep bottom filling needing a root canal eventually, but I’ll cross that bridge if I get to it. I just can’t believe that I am really doing this. I am so thankful I found this place. I especially love my dentist. You can just tell that he’s really skilled and also really kind. He’s also a little dorky, which is charming.

I would be lost without this forum and all of your support. Thank you so much everyone! I’m conquering my dental phobia one appointment at a time. It feels a little surreal. I just can’t believe I’m really doing it!

So, I don’t know how I didn’t see this coming. I had a treatment plan, which had an order (treatment 1, 2, and 3), and yet, I feel so blindsided. The whole day I was getting two fillings. I had some anxiety but nothing too bad. I was able to work without issue and didn’t really feel my heart start to pound until I was about 2 minutes away.

Anyway, I get there, and the dentist is like, “Okay... looks like we’re extracting that troubling wisdom tooth...”

Me: “Oh? I thought I had two fillings scheduled.”

Dentist: “We have to get this out first because it’s causing issues, so we’ll just do the fillings next time.”

EASY FOR YOU, MISTER.

Anywho, why fight it. It would be like fighting the inevitable anyway. He does one shot, which was not bad at all. I thought I was done before he came back and was like, “we’re going to do one more.” Oh great...

It was on the inside of my back tooth. It was unpleasant but not the worst thing. Out of nowhere, he puts his hand on my shoulder and says, “You did really good. I know that one isn’t fun.” It was comforting because 1.) he’s adorable, and 2.) It made me feel less alone.

Then the assistant read me some of the “warnings,” which is great and really reassuring, haha. Things like “this probably won’t happen, but we need to tell you it anyway.” Great.

So, he comes back and leans me back all the way and I put in my music. He tells me I shouldn’t feel anything sharp but may feel some pressure and tugging.

Then, he was exactly right. My god. It is crazy how they take out a tooth. They literally start rocking it. At times, he told me to slide my jaw to the right to help. I don’t know what that does, but I trust him. The assistant checked in on me once. Probably could see my hands shaking. It wasn’t painful... don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t the best experience of my life. You can feel the tugging and hear some crack sounds. I don’t want to scare anyway because it was 300 times better than I imagined, but it wasn’t like going to Disney World. Anyway, it felt like forever. I legit felt bad because it seemed like he was struggling, but it took probably like 3 minutes total, haha. I felt like my mouth was open so wide, and he had to pull it wider. I felt so bad thinking this might be the most challenging extraction he’s ever had.

Then, it was out. I wasn’t 100% sure it was out because I didn’t taste any blood but there were no more hands in my mouth. Then, he said it’s out. Yay! They put gauze in and five minutes later, she checked it and said the clot already formed. I still have gauze in now to be safe. I will tell you that all of my fears about this extraction were pretty much put to rest.

They both told me it was one of their easier extractions and they didn’t have any complications. That is reassuring. I joked and said if that was easy, I’d like to see what a hard one looks like! Haha. I am hoping I do not bleed anymore and will try to eat something soft in about an hour or two.

At the end, he asked if I wanted to see my tooth. I said pass. Then, said he’s going to a root canal conference at the end of the mouth and asked if he could keep it. I guess they need to bring in teeth? I was like “Uh, sure.” And, then, I felt so thankful I have a job that doesn’t require me to bring in teeth.

I can’t believe I did it. I really do have a fabulous dentist and team. I was also in the room I was in for my first appointment, which was oddly comforting.

Anywho, two more appointments for fillings, and I am basically caught up at 16 years of avoidance!

Way to go! Glad the worst procedure is over. I would have freaked, but would have done it too as long as I was there. Fillings will be a breeze now.

Slightly sore today. It’s not painful but I’m definitely not 100%. Eating is hard because it feels like I shouldn’t open my mouth all the way. A bit of blood this morning, but I guess it’s only been 12 hours. Hopefully presenting goes okay today. I can talk so I got that going for me!

Yeah I’m still nervous to open my mouth all the way and I’m getting all crazy about not getting dry socket. You are a trooper for going into work today!! I had my done on Saturday and had Sunday to kinda still relax. I’m starving and tired. I haven’t slept well since extraction. The whole sleeping propped up sucks. Good luck today.

Yeah I’m still nervous to open my mouth all the way and I’m getting all crazy about not getting dry socket. You are a trooper for going into work today!! I had my done on Saturday and had Sunday to kinda still relax. I’m starving and tired. I haven’t slept well since extraction. The whole sleeping propped up sucks. Good luck today.

My presentations went great! I forgot I had the wisdom tooth pulled. Now, I’m skipping the provided lunch to eat noodles at my desk. Not sure I’m ready for solid foods. I’m not in pain, thankfully, but there is definite tenderness in that spot making me cautious. Probably better to be safe than sorry. It is hard to open up my mouth wide, so the noodles just slip right in.

Did you have an upper or lower molar extraction? Usually dry sockets are rare in upper, and by the end of the day, I would think you’d be in the clear of dry sockets.

No rest for the weary. Actually in my defense, I thought I was getting two fillings yesterday, so this derailed my plans a little. Of course, I would have two big presentations today. Haha. Oh well. What is done is done.

I don’t sleep with my head propped up. They didn’t tell me that. He honestly said it was really easy and he would doubt I’d have any issues with it. God bless that man. He is a godsend. I can’t wait for my fillings appointments and then, I’ll have a healthy mouth again! Are you done with your treatment plan?

I go back Saturday to get my stitches out, he wants me to get a cleaning and then one of my bottom front teeth is loose so he said something about a splint which I have noo idea what that is. I got my bottom molar extracted. I guess if I do the timing correct this morning I was at 72 hours! So I hope that’s past the dry socket time. I’m happy to hear you are feeling good and eating.

Mac and cheese and ice cream for dinner. Living the high life.

Still tender. Hard to brush my teeth because my mouth just can’t open that wide. I’m on ibuprofen because when I stop taking it, I feel more soreness, but overall, it’s not horrible. Tomorrow is another day...

I was finally able to open my mouth more last night to eat which was amazing!!! Day by day getting better and feeling more excited and happy that I accomplished this!! We concurred a phobia!! ?

I was finally able to open my mouth more last night to eat which was amazing!!! Day by day getting better and feeling more excited and happy that I accomplished this!! We concurred a phobia!! ?

You are doing amazing! Isn’t it amazing that a kind and gentle dental practice can slowly erase all the bad memories? It’s like I don’t even have that same dread when brushing my teeth before going. I’m so excited to be on this journey and feel so freed. I wouldn’t say I’m 100% cured, but I have been going to the dentist and I’ve never been more happy! That is definite progress.

Hope you’re feeling even better today, Tracey!

I’m feeling a bit better today. Still super cautious about extraction site. I smoke so every time I’m still covering it with gauze, smoking lightly and then doing salt rinse. I can’t wait until Saturday when he says all is good. I still have a little puffy pocket where the tooth was taken out on my jaw and cheek. I have to have him check to make sure infection all went away when tooth was taken out. It’s probably me worrying as I always do and it’s probably just still puffy from procedure it self. It’s not noticeable but I can feel it when I touch the side of my face. It’s tender. How are you feeling today?

I’m feeling a bit better today. Still super cautious about extraction site. I smoke so every time I’m still covering it with gauze, smoking lightly and then doing salt rinse. I can’t wait until Saturday when he says all is good. I still have a little puffy pocket where the tooth was taken out on my jaw and cheek. I have to have him check to make sure infection all went away when tooth was taken out. It’s probably me worrying as I always do and it’s probably just still puffy from procedure it self. It’s not noticeable but I can feel it when I touch the side of my face. It’s tender. How are you feeling today?

I hear you! I would say I’m about the same. I’m not in pain but still on Ibuprofen because it tends to get stiff and more tender when I go off of it. I’m hoping today is the last day of that. I am eating soggy cereal okay but would like to be able to open my mouth a bit more. I feel like I’ve been super slacking on brushing on my right side because it’s sore to put the toothbrush in and I’m still so careful near the extraction site. Overall, I was expecting much worse. Not ready to rush to an oral surgeon and get my other three removed any time soon, but I can tolerate this. The wisdom tooth had such a bad cavity in it (super sensitive to temperature and could not even be cleaned by the hygienist), so it’s probably good it is gone. The others are impacted and are not bothering me yet, thankfully. Let me know how Saturday goes!

:welldone: you've also come such a long way! I can relate to just about everything you've written. I still won't tell anyone I was ever scared or avoided the dentist, and also handle everything on my own for some reason. Opening up about normal things is just not my way, even though I know it would only help.

Today, I’ve realized how far I’ve come. I remember when the thought of the dentist (gosh, just saying the word) would make my heart race. Now, it’s like I’ve been to the dentist 3 times in a month!

One of my biggest fears is they would make fun/say bad stuff about my teeth. I know I have higher canines (they aren’t embedded in my gum, but they never came fully down) and some overcrowding. I avoided going for so long because I was so afraid they would say how horrible it was and force me to get braces asap, but they are focused on getting my teeth healthy
Totally me too. Very high canine, very self conscious to smile properly, and I think that's what started me avoiding, before my mouth got so bad it felt like I just couldn't face it. I don't know if I want braces (especially at this age), but I do want the results so I'll probably have to eventually.

Well done again, it's good to remind yourself of how much you've got through :yay:

Glad to hear you are healing well and that things went smoothly during the surgery. It might help if you use a warm compress, like a warm wet wash towel, on your jaw if its feeling sore. Guess you and I can both add a badge for having a tooth removed while awake. :star: ??

Glad to hear you are healing well and that things went smoothly during the surgery. It might help if you use a warm compress, like a warm wet wash towel, on your jaw if its feeling sore. Guess you and I can both add a badge for having a tooth removed while awake. :star: ??

I hit the 48 hour mark and somehow have way more jaw mobility. I was able to brush my teeth without issue! I have a rag on hand just in case. That’s an excellent idea! I will wear my badge with honor. As should you! Do you ever feel like phobics handle awake extractions better than non phobics? We imagine the ultimate worst case scenario, and then, we get it done, and we’re like that wasn’t too bad! ?‍♀️ I casually mentioned it at work to justify skipping the meal they were serving, and two people at the table said they would NEVER do it awake.

And this sounds totally crazy, but if the other upper wisdom tooth came in, I would let him pull it while awake again. I wouldn’t happily skip there, but I would be okay with it.

Do you ever feel like phobics handle awake extractions better than non phobics?
Don't think that is based on phobia vs non-phobia. It will depend on the person and their situation as a whole. Some people with dental phobia will always need extra assistance in some way with getting treatment. Others will gradually improve overtime and may not always need sedation or the extra TLC. Either way of approaching treatment is acceptable.

Finding someone with zero uncertainty about dental work I think would be unusual. They may consider themselves non-phobic but could get nervous if they have to deal with a new experience or specific situation. Its probably also more common to hear people talking about how much they don't like dental stuff because its a common perception (and accepted) that the experience will be unpleasant or uncomfortable in some way (and to be fair, parts of it are by its very nature). Heck, there was a Jack-in-the-Box commercial recently mentioning things people don't like doing and seeing the dentist was one of things mentioned! Guess my point is there is no clear answer to that question. I'm glad you feel like you have made a lot of progress recently but there is no clear way to measure that against anyone else (phobic or not).

I never thought the day would come where waiting after an interview is more nerve wrecking than having a dentist appointment, yet here we are. I won’t hear back for 3-4 weeks and will finish my treatment before then. How crazy is that?

I was so nervous the whole day. It was a high level role that I really wanted and although I had some great answers, the not so great answers nswers are eating away at me. 11 people were spit firing questions at me and it was incredibly intimidating. Ugh.

So tomorrow, I get two cavities filled and next week, the remaining. I’m so nonchalant about it. I’ll get a bit nervous when there but right now, all I can think about is that job. It’s hard feeling so powerless that you blew your only chance to move up.

I swear going to the dentist has made me braver. It’s literally changing my life.

Last edited:
Thisisme,

That does sounds like a nerve wracking interview. wow 11 people firing questions at you.. Sounds you did good. I know inner critics can be tough sometimes , sounds like you did pretty well. and really hoping the best for you in this! Completely believe you have what it takes! I totally agreee with you too that the whole dental thing.. can truly make one braver and change your life.. When you feel that feeling of courage and strength after getting through something like this.. its just gives you more courage and momentum to do other things in life and get stronger . I know it has for me too and we see it in others here too.. You are total inspiration!!

I’m in the parking lot. It seemed easier earlier today. Ah, the life of a dental phobic... I’m sure it’ll be fine. I just don’t like sitting in the waiting room for too long. These teeth don’t bother me nearly as much as the right side, but tonight, I won’t be adding any temp filling to my LEFT SIDE! I will be down to using temp filling in one tooth.

Back in sophomore year, we had to write a reflection on stories for a test. I remember the story clearly. It was about a man who was using peanut brittle in his fillings and his fear of the dentist. I remember the part where he was in the elevator and panicking. My teacher always chose two of the best reflections to read out loud. Mine was one of them. I still remember that clearly. Like, I related to this character so much that I captured the essence of the story. That was 16 years ago...

Here goes nothing.

Back