• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thisismyjournal (thisisme)

You are doing so good with this and love your ortho journey, 100% agree you got this! step by step!

wow, how crazy that re-doing the filling has taken away the pain with crunchy foods! I wonder what was wrong with that first filling!? My filling that hurts with crunchy foods is almost completely okay now. Sometimes if I get a raspberry seed stuck there and bite down hard, it hurts. You are so brave to go back and have that filling re-done. I'm really looking forward to following your journey with invasaline!

wow, how crazy that re-doing the filling has taken away the pain with crunchy foods! I wonder what was wrong with that first filling!? My filling that hurts with crunchy foods is almost completely okay now. Sometimes if I get a raspberry seed stuck there and bite down hard, it hurts. You are so brave to go back and have that filling re-done. I'm really looking forward to following your journey with invasaline!

I’ve heard white fillings are really technique sensitive, so I think all it takes it a little saliva contamination and it’s no good. My dentist wouldn’t admit it (of course) but you’ll find on the internet that a symptom of a bad filling is pain when biting down. It did seem to get a bit better through the months, but cost was a huge factor for me. I paid for this and knew if I kept waiting, I wouldn’t be able to get a redo for free. I also knew I wanted orthodontics and didn’t want a maybe bad filling in my mouth. It was very frustrating though. He kept saying it was probably a crack but couldn’t see one and it was fine before the filling. Like helloooo, lets just try a new filling. I’m glad this one is so much better. ?

I’ve been thinking about having straight teeth. I mean, I think about it a lot but it’s more about how much I hate my teeth, but now, I’m thinking about the reality of them actually being straight and how life changing that would be for me. I am terrified of selfies and avoid most events where I know there will be pictures. I get worried that I’ll run into a celebrity and want to take a picture with them, only to not smile.

I think about those sunsets I missed out on vacation because that’s picture time for my family. Sure I’m in some of them (I have to be, haha) but I always tried to be in as little as possible. I avoided making memories and focused on taking as little photos as possible.

I put making memories on a 12 year hold because I wasn’t happy with my smile and that’s going to change (hopefully). I’m starting to regret that time because I’ll never get that back, but I’m excited for my future... possibly for the first time since I’ve been a kid.

Changing my smile is going to change my life. I’m going to apply for every game show because why not. I’m going to smile on my drivers license and volunteer for work videos. I’m going to be the one taking out the camera on vacations and during every moment. I’m going to be at my nieces’ birthdays and graduations beaming because of how proud I am of them and how much I love them. I’m finally going to show how happy I am for the first time in over a decade.

I so very badly want this all to go according to plan. I have never wanted anything more.

I missed “celebrating” my one year anniversary of going back to the dentist. It was Aug. 1, 2019 when I had the filling redone on my cracked molar. It’s weird to think of my life before I started to go to the dentist. I lived with this general fear and anxiety for over a decade... and then, one day, one year ago, I did something about it. I’m still waiting for my Invisalign trays to come in but even that sounds weird to say. I went from a person who was too afraid/embarrassed to open their mouth to a dentist to someone who’s done it (hold on... let me count)... 12 times in the last year! WOAH! Hopefully I just keep moving forward and never let this phobia get the best of me again. :)

My trays are in! My appointment is a week from tomorrow at 2pm. I don’t even know how to feel... excited? Nervous? Worried about how to tell people? This honestly is the first time it’s felt real to me. It didn’t even feel this real when I paid. I have some time to think about it and certainly after I get them on, they’ll find out, so I can even wait until then. Haha. But we’ll see... but man, last year at this time I had not even had my first cleaning in over a decade, and now, I’m straightening my teeth?!? Just crazy!

Look at how far you've come! I'm in awe :claps:

Tomorrow is the big day. Almost 24 hours from now, it begins. I’m worried about how they’ll feel and if my teeth will be okay in them. I tend to have sensitive teeth and a few deep fillings, so I’m worried. I also worry how it’ll cover my wisdom tooth and if it’ll jab into my gums.

I’m rubbing my tongue against my teeth so much now, as I know there will be attachments on them after tomorrow making them rough. I enjoyed going out to eat once last time without worrying about my trays and brushing. I woke up this morning thinking that I only had 1 more morning of not having plastic in my mouth for the rest of my life... because you know, retainers. Ha.

I haven’t told anyone. I don’t know how to casually bring it up. Nobody knows this has been on my mind every waking hour of my life for like 12-15 years, so I’m not sure how nonchalant I can be. “Oh yeah btw, I got Invisalign because I hate my teeth and turns out the technology is pretty good and Invisalign will work for me.” Ugh. Dreading it. But I figure nobody has to know yet. I can get them on with just me knowing and then, cross that bridge when I get to it.

I made cute little dental to-go bags. I have a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, an ortho key, and a case. One will be for my purse, the other for my car. I’m feeling prepared but that telling people part is pretty hard. ?

Attachments

• 2E1394F1-5690-43B4-9639-ABAA06DA194F.jpeg
    2E1394F1-5690-43B4-9639-ABAA06DA194F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
When you’re in the parking lot for what feels like the beginning of the rest of your life. I’m so nervous. I feel like after I get them on, I can tell people... maybe... haha. I don’t know why I’m so scared. I feel like that means I’m coming out as self conscious about my teeth... which I am... but admitting it to people. Ugh! I hope this appointment goes well. Here goes nothing.

The appointment went well. I’m not a fan of the tongue jail (aka cheek retractor). All this technology and this is the best they can do? Anyway, he did a quick clean, which I wasn’t thrilled about but it seemed like just polishing and not scraping, which was a blessing. A have a lot of attachments on my front top teeth which I was expecting. I try to not show my teeth when I talk anyway, so maybe it won’t be too noticeable.

I was expecting more of a lisp but I really don’t notice one... probably because I already had one. My teeth feel smooshed and I’m betting they are going to be sore when I remove them. I’m actually dreading taking them out, as it seems like it’ll be challenging.

Nobody knows yet, just taking some me time to get used to it. I have 42 trays. We are starting with two weeks changes but if all goes well after6 weeks (3 trays), he says we can maybe switch to one week. I would love to speed up the process anyway we can!

Eeeek! Very exciting! Did you have to take the tray out yet? If so, how was it? Hope nothing is too sore today. Thank you for sharing your journey :)

Eeeek! Very exciting! Did you have to take the tray out yet? If so, how was it? Hope nothing is too sore today. Thank you for sharing your journey :)

Thanks, Spider! I am approaching the 24 hour mark and have taken my trays out 3 times... gonna be four for lunch soon. I’m very aware that they are there and are pushing on my teeth, but it’s been bearable. It feels like just a lot of pressure. I haven’t taken any pain medication. Hard to sleep last night because of the amount of plastic in my mouth, but it’s been okay.

Now taking them out... wow. It feels like you’re going to pull out your teeth. I am very aware of the teeth that are being moved right now (bottom front) because those hurt so bad when trying to get them off. Then, they are off and it’s not bad... maybe a bit tender. But getting them off. Not fun. Getting them back in isn’t nearly as bad.

I really got to get over telling people, as I always see my family and friend on the weekend. I need to get it out of the way but I don’t want to. Haha.

Your friends and family should be very supportive and happy for you since this is something that means a lot to you. Let us know how telling them goes. I hope it goes better than you hope! I'm glad the pain isnt to pain med levels. It sounds like a lot to get used to all at once.

So, how‘s it going after a couple of days? It sounds supper scary taking the trays out! But glad the pain is bearable!

So, how‘s it going after a couple of days? It sounds supper scary taking the trays out! But glad the pain is bearable!

It’s been a lot easier than I thought! Not snacking is hard, but pain is only really there when I take them out. Some teeth are a bit sore but I still eat cereal in the morning and just soak it for a minute. I’ve pretty much eaten everything I’ve wanted to but I cut it up first. Still not biting anything with my front teeth but feeling like I could probably manage a hamburger because it’s soft.

I haven’t had any tongue cutting because of the trays or any mouth sores. Only pressure and then, the pain of taking them out, haha. Hopefully each tray fits just as well as this one did. I’ve also discovered flavored “chewies”, which you bite down on to seat the tray. Those have been life changing and really help you with any cravings for food. The strawberry chewy is delicious!

To me, the hardest part is that this is a constant reminder of how much I hate my teeth and how I wish they could move overnight. Also, I tend to get anxiety when I look to see what tray number I’d be on my Christmas. It’s like mannnnn, this is a process. I also tend to get anxiety when I start thinking about everything that can go wrong and realizing I’m only on tray 1. I’ll be much happier when and if it’s weekly changes.

Also, keeping it a secret has been hard. I told my best friend through Snapchat, and she wrote how exciting and that I’m already beautiful but it’s still exciting for me, and when I was over there, the kids didn’t notice but I do tend to hide my teeth anyway. My family doesn’t know but I haven’t seen them since I got them. We’ll see what happens this weekend and what I decide to do. Haha. But telling my best friend was a huge relief. Family will be harder.

Well, one day at a time! ? Thanks for asking!

One of the things I’m thinking about is man... it’s only day 4. Like, hypothetically, if I switch to weekly trays on Tray 4 and I continue to track, I’ll be done with the initial set of aligners in July. Then refinements and whatnot. Then a retainer full time for six months and on and on. That’s such a long time.

But then I think... I lost a filling in 2011 and kept it to myself until 2019. I then cracked the tooth in Feb.... kept THAT to myself... and finally braved the dentist in August.

I lived with a hole in my tooth for 8 years. 8 years... and then, I lived with a cracked tooth for like six months. That’s all together 8.5 YEARS!

So I keep telling myself, it’s maybe 2 years of Invisalign and seeing drastic changes to my smile along the way. Come on, get it together. That’s less than 1/4th of the time that I was stuffing temporary filling in my teeth, praying they wouldn’t fall apart.

I honestly think I would feel better if I didn’t feel like I was hiding it and just owned it... but I just don’t know what to say and I’m certain I’ll see my family this weekend. ?

Your family will be delighted. They’ll support you - and nobody will make an issue of it. In a couple of weeks it’ll be so normal you won’t even think about it (maybe...). Go you!

Your family will be delighted. They’ll support you - and nobody will make an issue of it. In a couple of weeks it’ll be so normal you won’t even think about it (maybe...). Go you!

I still haven’t seen my family but honestly, the longer I do this, the more it feels like I don’t have to. If they notice, they notice but if not, it’s kinda cool to see when they notice. My mom was supposed to come by today but got pulled into work.

It’s been a week now! Unfortunately that means one more week in tray 1 but it also means one week done! The changes so far are wow. I mean you wouldn’t know from a naked eye but looking at my first picture to my today picture is awesome. My open bite is smaller and my smile is wider. Even some of the crooked teeth are ever so slightly moving. I went from not looking at my teeth at all to looking at my progress daily. I can tell this tray still has a bit of work to do (my second to last molars are still sore, whereas the front teeth feel better now), but it’s been good so far. Cleaning my teeth isn’t too hard after meals and I don’t even miss snacking. I think it’ll get more challenging when I start to go out and do things, but there’s a benefit to starting this during a pandemic... not much to do.

I am hoping things continue to progress. It’s definitely such a cool experience to see something you hated for so long change before your eyes.

Wow! Does it work that quickly? They really can work miracles these days. It’s great that things are moving in the right direction - literally!
It should be interesting to see when they notice if you decide not to tell them. It’s like losing weight, a few years ago I shed a fair few pounds and hardly anyone noticed on a day-to-day basis. Which was a bit frustrating! On the other hand it shows that people really aren’t bothered about the appearance of their friends and family. They love you with crooked teeth and extra pounds just the same!

Wow! Does it work that quickly? They really can work miracles these days. It’s great that things are moving in the right direction - literally!
It should be interesting to see when they notice if you decide not to tell them. It’s like losing weight, a few years ago I shed a fair few pounds and hardly anyone noticed on a day-to-day basis. Which was a bit frustrating! On the other hand it shows that people really aren’t bothered about the appearance of their friends and family. They love you with crooked teeth and extra pounds just the same!

I’m thinking the first three trays are big movements... which is why I have to wear them for two weeks each. I can actually feel how wide my smile is getting when I rub my tongue against them. It had to get wider to fit all the teeth, as he’s not doing extractions, so it’s absolutely insane to me to see how this is working. I can definitely feel it on my second to last molars on all sides but it feels like the front teeth settled to their new location because they don’t hurt anymore. I get to change into tray 2 in six days now! Yay!

And you’re right, they love me regardless. I got that impression from my best friend when I told her, but I don’t love me... it’s crazy how teeth can ruin your life. I can’t wait to love all of me again!

Last edited:
Back