• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tiny bit of tooth/bone sticking out of gum?

J

jamesm18

Hello,

I'm 23 and I last went to the dentist 3/4 years ago for tooth scaling. I plan to go again this week for scaling as I have tartar build up on the back of my bottom front teeth, had bleeding gums for about a year now and my gum has slightly receded as well.

About a month ago, I noticed the gum below the tooth to the right of my bottom front teeth had a tiny bulge outwards. I ignored it however two weeks ago it seemed as if a tooth/bone (I'm not sure what it is) has pushed through. It's painless, it doesn't wobble and it's firmly stuck into the gum as I've tried to see if I can remove it. It's just a small white hard shaped bone/tooth sticking out. I've never had any teeth extracted so I'm unsure on what it could be or if it's anything to worry about it. I've read it could be a bone spur, can I get those without teeth being extracted?

Thank you

James.

Hi, well , I"m not really sure the answer to your question. But I hope they give you a good one when you go in this week and can help you. I personally just got some bone shards taken out last week. after extraction. it was like a rose thorn stuck in my gum. ugh.. my new dentist just took it out , it feels so much better they numbed it and filed and sawed it down it what it felt like and stictched it up.. I hope you can get yours out and taken care of :)..

James.

Hi, well , I"m not really sure the answer to your question. But I hope they give you a good one when you go in this week and can help you. I personally just got some bone shards taken out last week. after extraction. it was like a rose thorn stuck in my gum. ugh.. my new dentist just took it out , it feels so much better they numbed it and filed and sawed it down it what it felt like and stictched it up.. I hope you can get yours out and taken care of :)..

Hey,

Thanks for you reply!

That's a very good description, was it hard as well?

James

Yes. it was a hard sharp thorn like area. ugh.. and you can feel it on your lip and tongue, and it drove me crazy but I'd try to ignore it.. so glad I don't have to anymore!!

Hey,

Thanks for you reply!

That's a very good description, was it hard as well?

James

Yes. it was a hard sharp thorn like area. ugh.. and you can feel it on your lip and tongue, and it drove me crazy but I'd try to ignore it.. so glad I don't have to anymore!!

Yes!

For me, it's always hitting against my tongue. Irritating :)

I cannot tell you how good it feels to be rid of it!!!

Do you mean if you never had an extraction.. or get them out via extraction.. My dentist kinda filed down the shards is the best way to explain it.. not extraction. kind of drilled and filed down.. so no extraction almost like getting rid of a filling but have stiches after maybe depending on how big/how many shards?

Can you get bone spurs without extractions?

Do you mean if you never had an extraction.. or get them out via extraction.. My dentist kinda filed down the shards is the best way to explain it.. not extraction. kind of drilled and filed down.. so no extraction almost like getting rid of a filling but have stiches after maybe depending on how big/how many shards?

Sorry, I should have explained better.

As in, can you just get bone spurs randomly? I haven't had any extractions or anything like that which may have caused the spur, it's just suddenly come on in the past month! :)

Thats a good question.. I would totally like email the question to them.. thats what I do alot, its more non threatening then they can either give a answer or say.. yeah lets have you come in and take a look.

Thats a good question.. I would totally like email the question to them.. thats what I do alot, its more non threatening then they can either give a answer or say.. yeah lets have you come in and take a look.

After a rather painful root planning and scaling session, it turns out the "thorn" is a supernumerary tooth. It's quite small and I've booked in to have it taken out over the next few months.

Odd but glad I now know!

Sorry, I should have explained better.

As in, can you just get bone spurs randomly? I haven't had any extractions or anything like that which may have caused the spur, it's just suddenly come on in the past month! :)

I have the exact same thing. White mass both side of wisdom teeth on bottom. Never had extraction but the white this is decently hard and just feel pressure not pain please help

Back