• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need help.

Re: No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Hi Geek -

I get up quite late and I'm not sure what time your appointment is tomorrow...so getting my post in now before I go to bed!

Things I wanted to say:

- The actual procedure will be much, much easier than you think - really!

- You are doing amazingly well, and I'm confident that you have it in you. You've already shown that you are pretty good at finding sense and coping strategies, even in the midst of your anxiety.

- It's OK if you're worried tomorrow, or even if that switch flips again and you get into a panic. It will pass, you are not going to feel like that forever, even if it seems like it at the time! It doesn't matter how you feel as you do it, what matters is the outcome.

- Most importantly of all: You will be OK. You are safe. You will not die. You will come out the other side of this.

Now my best strategy for when it really comes down to it: if something looks too big to handle, break it down into tiny steps - so just aim to turn up. That's it. That's all you have to do. Everything else will follow.

Consider that your combined encouragement / general cheerleading / boot up the bum ;-)

Will be thinking of you - let us know how you get on!

Hey Tink,

Thank you :) Today is the day. My appointment is 2.30pm. I was hoping for a morning appointment but they had non available.

The worry is nauseating lmao, but I and going today. I had a pint of beer last night to calm the nerves and ended up waking up shattered which didn't help the anxiety.

I love the tips about taking small steps. That's what I'm focusing on.

I will be going, even if I have to drag myself there by the scruff of my neck lmao. I will update with a success story when I'm back.

Good luck for your appointment today. You will be okay. Ditto what Tink said :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Don't let the stress get you :butterfly:

Re: Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need h

Thanks. In reality this should be simple. I've had an operation to have a testicle removed and been through chemotherapy. That in comparison to a tooth extraction is much more serious.

Keeping myself busy cleaning the house, and looking forward to having a complete relaxation day on the PS4 tomorrow. I've stocked up on Nurishment drinks, and will try and eat some mash potatoe but I'm not concerned if I won't be able to eat much today.

Here goes :)

Hello - look at that, your cheerleading squad got up in time!

Yep, you totally are going to manage this today!

Re the beer, if it makes you feel any better, the night before my root canal last week I accidentally got a bit drunk on 10mg of beta-blockers (that's a quarter of the normal starting dose) and half a Nanny State (yep, that's an 'alcohol-free' beer). My body just doesn't respond to these things in the normal way ;)

You'll be OK. It's OK if you're tired and it's OK if you're anxious. Baby steps is the way to go, and turning up is all you have to manage.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on later!

I feel privileged :) The support on here is absolutely fantastic and without the info from you guys I probably wouldn't make it.

Being drunk on beta blockers sounds like fun ha ha. I've got a lorazepam here but I'm not going to take it. It was left over from when I was put on them last year. It'll probably clear up any worry almost instantly, but the way I see it is I'd like to get over this fear.

I posted a reply in my other thread by mistake, it was meant for this one. I've got some of my fav. music on my phone and stocked up on Nurishment drinks. I didn't eat much yesterday or the day before because of the pain eating.

I'm looking forward to having a day or two on the PS4.

I'll have to go back to have the other upper removed as I only want the one done at a time. I'm going to have the left side taken first as that's the side I need the filling also. That will ease the pain when eating.

I will post a success story when back and be as honest as possible. Just incase there's others who are just like me.

Many many many many thanks to all. You guys are awesome.:jump::jump:

Good luck! :hug4:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Just dropping by to wish you luck from across the pond!!! I've been following your story and look forward to a success story this afternoon :)

Re: Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need h

Hi I hope you don't mind but I have merged your threads to make it easier to follow your progress. :butterfly:

Ok that's fine :)

Will be thinking of you today :)

Talk to you when you get back, you will be so happy that it wasn't so bad after all!!

Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need help.

For what it's worth... I had all of my wisdom teeth out 8 years ago at the age of 30. The bottom ones were exceptionally difficult extractions. I had no complications and my gums and neighboring teeth are in much better shape now.

Well that was a waste of time.

I went. I was all prepared. The dentist said "We wont be able to do anything today this is an initial appointment to do the checkups".

I listed on the form that I had anxiety, and I'm sensitive to stimulants. He told me the extractions wouldn't be in and out. I asked him how long, he said he couldn't tell me. I made a guess at 15 minutes and he said less than that. I don't see that as "not simple".

He seen how anxious I was just having the mirror and tools in my mouth and told me he feels I would be better to have it done by a oral surgeon.

He has referred me to a local surgeon. I have an appointment Friday for another assessment at this new place to have x-rays and check my vitals for sedation. He wants me to have sedation. Urgh!

He said its best I have everything done at once as I have 3 simple cavities that require filling and need the 2 rotten wisdom teeth out.

I have no infection, but the one wisdom tooth is a "nasty hole". I will be doing salt water rinses to avoid any infection after meals.

So all that getting worked up was for nothing today. I wish they would have told me this beforehand.

I got an appointment at my doctors to get some anxiety medications and discuss therapy. I can't continue to live with this fear.

Not good news really. When I have the treatment it's going to be a long job and if I have the sedation I'm going to feel like crap.

:cry:

What a shame it wasn't done. Who told you that it would be done today?

If you had the sedation and everything was done then it would be over and done with but if on the other hand you have a fear of sedation then there has to be another way that you can be helped to over come your fear. Is your dentist sympathetic to your fear or has he just referred you on because he doesn't know what to do. Was it this dentist that you cancelled the procedure with so many times, I think it was 10 that you mentioned.

Could you start with getting the fillings one at a time and work up to the wisdom teeth being removed last when you have had chance to get used to the dentist.

So sorry you couldn't just have it done today and have it over and done with :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::there-there::butterfly:

Oh, that's crap, so sorry Geek :( I was really rooting for you today (excuse the pun)

First of all though - well done for showing up, that was *huge*. You did your part, and you did amazingly. You should be proud of that. Don't lose sight of that, in the disappointment.

To be honest I think you've been a bit let down by your dentist there. If you turned up expecting an extraction and discovered it was a consultation, then he certainly isn't communicating well. Also, you *want* to tackle your fear and deal with this, you've been clear about that - and in many ways, needing a lot of pieces of work done like that is a good opportunity to tackle your fear in steps, doing it one thing at a time. The dentist needs to be willing to work with you on that though. He doesn't appear to be considering your preferences there - I'd be a bit wary of a dentist who pushes sedation where the patient clearly doesn't want it too.

Who knows, maybe the oral surgeon will be better placed to help and better at taking your preferences on board? Certainly worth going along and seeing what they have to say on Friday.

Not sure where you are, or if you are NHS or private (assuming UK based) - would you be in a position to look for another dentist? There are lots out there who would be willing to work with you on tackling your fear, and you are so motivated that I think with the help of the right dentist you really could come far. It can be done!

What a shame it wasn't done. Who told you that it would be done today?

If you had the sedation and everything was done then it would be over and done with but if on the other hand you have a fear of sedation then there has to be another way that you can be helped to over come your fear. Is your dentist sympathetic to your fear or has he just referred you on because he doesn't know what to do. Was it this dentist that you cancelled the procedure with so many times, I think it was 10 that you mentioned.

Could you start with getting the fillings one at a time and work up to the wisdom teeth being removed last when you have had chance to get used to the dentist.

So sorry you couldn't just have it done today and have it over and done with :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::there-there::butterfly:

I don't think he's very sympathetic. I didn't get that vibe from him, but I could be wrong. He said he felt it was best for me to have sedation but they don't do it at his practice.

I will have my vitals checked Friday for sedation. I'm just going to have to go with it and on the plus side all my treatment is done and I never have to worry about my teeth again.

He did say GA was an option but said there are risks with that and hospitals in the UK do not like performing the surgery and are trying to stop people using that option. I get a feeling hospital surgeons are not qualified to do them, or are getting sick of doing them. Not only that he said they (the hospital) could only do the extraction and not the fillings so I would still need to procedures.

I trust his advice and I'm sure the oral surgeon will be more sympathetic as he probably has many anxiety cases referred to him.

I just want this over and done with now. I've worked myself up, prepared for it all, and fell flat on my face.

My girlfriend accepts blame for the appointment mishap. She said she told the dentist I needed the teeth out and assumed they would do it the same day.

I remember seeing my girlfriend after sedation and it knocked her for 6. If I can get some meds from my doctor, I can probably grit my teeth through the surgery with numbing alone. I'm going to face anxiety either way. With sedation it'll be afterwards, as it s wearing off. Without it'll be during.

Just to add:

I've been busy barreling straight into solutions here (because human nature, that's what we do!) - but actually, first of all, take a day or two to look after yourself and recover! Have that day with the PS4 anyway, you earned it.

Take time to let it settle and figure out what you want, go along on Friday and find out what the deal is with the oral surgeon (note: they won't necessarily agree with the dentist re sedation, and even if they do, you do not have to agree to it and you are always free to see another opinion). Then when you have all that information, you can decide what you want to do. You are always in control.

Your job right now: take care of you. Rest. Recover. Do some stuff you enjoy. You can figure out the rest in your own good time.

Just to add:

I've been busy barreling straight into solutions here (because human nature, that's what we do!) - but actually, first of all, take a day or two to look after yourself and recover! Have that day with the PS4 anyway, you earned it.

Take time to let it settle and figure out what you want, go along on Friday and find out what the deal is with the oral surgeon (note: they won't necessarily agree with the dentist re sedation, and even if they do, you do not have to agree to it and you are always free to see another opinion). Then when you have all that information, you can decide what you want to do. You are always in control.

Your job right now: take care of you. Rest. Recover. Do some stuff you enjoy. You can figure out the rest in your own good time.

When you put it like that I did do well :) There was 10% of me that was wanting to stay at home and skip the appointment. But, I battled through all the feelings. I was sat in the dentist chair feeling dizzy and sick thinking "This is it, he's going in". Then, when he said "Oh, we won't be doing any work today" a slight part felt relief but the majority of me was angry that I wasn't getting it done.

I've grabbed myself a nice little beer, and switched on that PS4. Today it's time to relax.

To be fair with the dentist it was my partners fault. She booked the appointment the same day my son went for his checkup and she explained I needed the teeth out. She assumed they were aware of it because I had been to that dentist 2 months before to have a checkup and book the appointment for extraction - except I missed that appointment. She thought that because she explained that they would pick up from where we last left. But instead he had to do another examination because the situation could have changed. And it had. I developed 3 more cavities.

I will go along Friday and see what the oral surgeon says. I probably won't be having the sedation. I'd rather have the anxiety during, and once it's over with I just deal with the pain of healing. Otherwise, I can be certain that once that sedation wears off and I'm on my way home I will be a mess all day.

I am on the NHS yes. The surgery they have referred me to is very good with anxious patients. My brothers girlfriend lost all of her teeth at 23 due to a genetic disease and had to have them all pulled. She now wears dentures.

In hindsight if she can do it, then I can too. She also has very bad anxiety and suffers panic attacks. She's lost all of her teeth except a few, which will eventually come out.

But she's been treated at this same surgery for everything and she applauds them.

You guys have been so amazing it's unreal. I wish there was a donate button, or a "buy me a coffee" button on your profiles ;)

Many many thanks. Tink, you've been amazing as have the others.

You guys have been so amazing it's unreal. I wish there was a donate button, or a "buy me a coffee" button on your profiles ;)

Many many thanks. Tink, you've been amazing as have the others.

You're very welcome, really :)

Best thing you can do for us here is stick around and let us be fellow travellers with you!

The practice you've been referred to sounds promising, hopefully you will have more luck there.

Meanwhile...enjoy that beer. Cheers! *clink*

You're very welcome, really :)

Best thing you can do for us here is stick around and let us be fellow travellers with you!

The practice you've been referred to sounds promising, hopefully you will have more luck there.

Meanwhile...enjoy that beer. Cheers! *clink*

There's no getting rid of me now :p I'll keep everyone updated with what's going on and hopefully make a killer success story when all this is over :) I'm still looking forward to making that success story.

Back