• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two chipped teeth... please no more fillings

S

SeagullFTB

Hi,

I went to the hygienist today for a clean. It's one of my least favourite things to do, but my teeth aren't great so it's necessary.

Since the clean, I have noticed 2 small chips on 2 of my teeth. One upper and one lower. I know my teeth are in a bad condition, so I presume a small piece of decayed tooth broke away during the clean.

Neither chip is sharp nor is it sensitive. Do these chips need any treatment? If so, how urgent? Or can they wait until my next dentist appointment in 5 months?

Attachments

• 20210316_140527.jpg
    20210316_140527.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210316_140500.jpg
    20210316_140500.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
Hi,

I went to the hygienist today for a clean. It's one of my least favourite things to do, but my teeth aren't great so it's necessary.

Since the clean, I have noticed 2 small chips on 2 of my teeth. One upper and one lower. I know my teeth are in a bad condition, so I presume a small piece of decayed tooth broke away during the clean.

Neither chip is sharp nor is it sensitive. Do these chips need any treatment? If so, how urgent? Or can they wait until my next dentist appointment in 5 months?
Hi SeagullFTB,

To be honest from what I can see it looks like both need fillings as the decay appears to be through the outside enamel layer and into the softer, second dentine layer. They’re unlikely to be close to the pulp (where the nerve is) currently but the sooner you intervene, the safer the distance will be between the fillings and the pulp. Equally, the longer it’s left the more chance it will become a bigger problem. Prompt intervention will also keep the filling smaller, quicker and simpler. It’s maybe not what your instinct will lean towards or what you wanted to hear but it will make things much easier in the long run.

Completely agree, sorry. You also might want to look at your diet, have you made any changes recently that have led to you getting some new decay?

Back