• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two More Days ... OMG!

Snowbird

Snowbird

Hi folks, in two days I'll be going to the dentist. HELP ... ! If y'all remember my posts and how I had to take baby steps by first e-mailing the dentist then going for a consultation then you'll remember that it's been over 20 years since I've been to a dentist.

I'm having IV Sedation to have 2 teeth removed. The crowns broke off in both of these upper molars, fortunately there is no pain but I know I can't put it off any more.

I'm a product of the 50's where they actually held you down forcibly when you were in the dental chair and slapped a gas mask on your face. It was a terrifying experience for a child and the time in the chair was pure torture. They loved to poke and prod at your cavity, I think they took pleasure in inflicting pain. These experiences of which there were many, left me with the most horrendous fear of dentists. I have meltdowns even when I'm waiting in the waiting room for my husband to see the dentist.

At any rate ... tomorrow (Wednesday) I have to go to the dental office to pick up I believe what will be two sedatives, one for the night before and another for the morning of the appointment (which is Thursday).

I'm so terrified ... I'm afraid that the IV Sedation will NOT give me amnesia ... that I will not only remember everything but will also feel everything but will be too "whatever" to do anything to extracate myself from the situation. HELP! I'm afraid that the IV Sedation won't work on me ... hypnosis, which a doctor used on me for another condition, was only partly successful. I'm a control freak, afraid of loosing control. HELP ... !

Whatever have I gotten myself into? :confused:

I'm so proud of you, Snowbird! I know it's taken a lot for you to get to this point. :jump:

First, let's get some things out of the way. Hypnosis is quite different from sedation. Like you, I have a hard time being hypnotized. I've only tried a couple of times but each time I feel myself drifting I pull myself back to awareness. Because sedation chemically alters some of the brain functions temporarily, it's extremely difficult to talk yourself out of being sedated. Statistically speaking, the chances of your not being sedated are beyond minuscule. Really, thousands and thousands of people are sedated every day. If sedation were so unpredictable and unreliable, it would not be relied upon by doctors and dentists all over the world.

As well, gone are the days when dentists held people down against their will. From your description of your earlier meeting with your dentist, there didn't seem to be any red flags that caused you not to trust him or her. Like you, I was sure that I would need sedation to get through my procedures. However, it turned out that my dentist doesn't offer sedation. I can promise you, there's nothing scary that goes on. Once you're numb, it's all pretty boring, actually.

As I've said before, I'd almost recommend that people try an appointment without sedation when they feel up to it and when they build trust in their dentist. Part of our fear, as phobics, is that we imagine that dentists do all sorts of horrible things and that they get up to all sorts of terrible antics. Being sedated, we don't give ourselves an opportunity to replace those dark imaginings with a new reality. The reality is not even close to the horror show that we imagine.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't give sedation a try tomorrow if you feel that you need it. What I am saying, however, is that even if you were to beat the overwhelming odds and find yourself amongst that elite group of individuals who cannot be sedated, the experience still wouldn't be anywhere close to what you have in mind.

Here's what I would suggest for you. Tomorrow, when you go into your dentist's office, have a chat with him about your fears. He'll be able to reassure you, I'm sure. Also, work out a signal that you can use to make him stop just in case the sedation isn't working or in case you feel any discomfort. Armed with all of that, you'll be absolutely fine. :grouphug: You can do this. Not only that, you'll feel so much better once you do. Imagine living without that fear!

You're going to do just great! I've had 7 teeth pulled over 3 appointments during the past 2 weeks with nitrous and numbing. It was SO easy I couldn't believe it, and I've had no pain or disomfort. I promise you it's nothing like we fear! I love what vict4ia said. I'm one of those that feared sedation without a valid reason :) Then I was fearing getting extractions without sedation, but it turned out to be very easy and VERY fast. I'm talking a few seconds per tooth. The worst part was thinking about how horrific it would be. Now I feel kinda silly. Best of luck to you!
Peace,
Susan

Hi Snowbird, nice to see you back posting. Try not to worry too much about your appointment and the IV (I know, what a stupid thing to say in the circumstances). I too am a great control freak but although some people seem to think differently and prefer to stay wide awake so they can remain in control, for that very reason, knowing I would be interfering and hindering the process, and of course, feeling and hearing everything going on, my way of being in control was to have IV sedation and I can honestly say, with hand on heart, I didnt feel, see or hear a single thing so have nothing to try and remember. I am sure it will all go well for you and do look forward to hearing back from you afterwards with a full report on how it went. Best of luck, I along with loads of us here will be with you in spirit and sending good vibes all the way.

If it helps any.... Everything I hear suggests to me that iv sedation is even more effective than oral sedation, and is more highly recommended for a lot of dental work. I've never had it, but I've had oral sedation twice. Both times I had the same result: half the day I don't remember at all, and the parts I DO remember, I remember feeling quite calm and cheerful. No fear, no discomfort, no worries. Now, if iv sedation is even better than its oral counterpart... I think that should give you reassurance lol!

I know from my own experience that it's impossible to believe others' stories of their carefree dental work until you've actually experienced it for yourself. You'll probably be a little nervous regardless of how much reassurance you hear. Just take comfort in the knowledge that once it's actually happening, you'll finally understand what everyone was talking about. The little light bulb goes on, and you now know that you really CAN have dental work without it having to be a horrible experience!:grouphug:

I'm a product of the 50's where they actually held you down forcibly when you were in the dental chair and slapped a gas mask on your face. It was a terrifying experience for a child and the time in the chair was pure torture.

You just described exactly what happened to me at age 6/7... the only difference being it happened to me in the 70's. I really do feel where you're coming from. I will be sending you all my very best good luck vibes tomorrow. I've only heard good things about IV sedation, I'm putting my trust in it too.

You'll get through it. And then we'll all congratulate you!

:grouphug:

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your words of support ... and encouragement. They say that this IV Sedation is better than a general anesthetic which puts you to sleep. The IV Sedation is supposed to put the patient into an amnesia state and while they are awake and can respond to the dentist they don't remember anything. When I was 17 I had a tooth pulled under Penthanol (spelling?).

I went in to the dentist's office yesterday to get the sedative, they gave me .25 mg of Triazolam (not sure what that is as I don't know much about sedatives or other drugs). They said they will give me another one when I come in on Thursday. I asked her if the IV Sedation would really make me not remember what horrors they're going to do to me and she said it sure would, that I would love it so much I would ask for it for other things. I said "okay then I want to have it for my next bikini wax". LOL

Wish me luck folks ... I 'may' not be online tomorrow. I've told my hubby that I might need some Won Ton soup from the Chinese restaurant because after having 2 extractions I doubt if I will be able to eat solid food. I have dry sockets with extractions and previously (30 years ago?) the dentist had to pack the extraction site with some medication and gauze then stitch it). I was in agony for almost 2 weeks afterwards. Then I had to go back and have him fuss around with it which was again painful. OMG ... ! Now you see why I hate dentists hmmm?

Last edited:
Wishing you all the best of luck for tomorrow, but I am sure everything will go well. Try and put that last experience of being in pain for two weeks after extractions out of your mind. It shouldnt have happened and will not tomorrow. I had 18 teeth out, I had stitches and not one single twinge of pain. The thing is, immediatley you come round from sedation, before the numbing has worn off, start with the painkillers. I did just that and as I say, had no problems at all and in 3 days was eating pretty well normally. We shall be thinking of you:grouphug:

Thank you Scaredstiff (super moderator that you are). :respect:

Do you think I'll be given anything for pain after the extractions? OMG, I never thought to ask about that, I was too concentrated on discussing the IV Sedation and my phobia.

OMG ... I hope he gives me something for the pain. With dry sockets one gets a feeling similar to labour but only in the gum. Sort of like long drawing contractions of pan that throb and last for days.

I know I am going to baby myself ... I think I need to do that as a sort of reward for putting myself through what I'm doing. :cloud9:

At one of my early on appointments I had already asked about painkillers after extraction and having looked at the medical details I had given her, the dentist had said that because of medication I was on for arthritis, I should bring the ones I normally used which were by prescription, so I was well prepared for the day. I'm not sure whether the dentist will give you any, but I always like to be prepared and so would have taken my own in any case. So, if you're not on any special medication and can take paracetamol, I would take some with you, just to make sure, so you can have a couple immediately after, before numbing wears off. It just seemed sensible to me to take painkillers before I could start feeling anything. As I have mentioned previously, I couldnt swallow (always do have difficulty) but numbing and with dentures in, feeling a bit peculiar, only way to get them down was to crush and put in a syringe with water and squirt them down. Yes, lots of pampering and tlc afterwards is order of the day.

Hi Snowbird :), with upper teeth, the risk of dry socket is much less than with lower teeth. Of course, you can never completely exclude the possibility, but in all likelihood, you won't have to contend with it! Here are some tips for healing after extractions and avoiding problems:

Over-the-counter painkillers should be fine for dealing with any discomfort. If you can take ibuprofen (i.e. you don't have asthma or it's otherwise contraindicated), this would be the best choice.

Best of luck for tomorrow :grouphug: - it sounds like you're in good hands :XXLhug:

You just described exactly what happened to me at age 6/7... the only difference being it happened to me in the 70's.

Sad to say, it happened in late 80s/early 90s as well.
I can vividly remember being held down while I fought receiving a needle for my uneeded filling. No wonder we are all so terrified!!!

I had an extraction with nitrous and local not too long ago, and I can say I wasn't traumatized from that! It was actually the first step in breaking down my fear when I realized the dreaded "worst" wasn't even that bad.

Good luck today! I'm saying a prayer for you :)
Peace,
Susan

Good luck today, Snowbird. It'll be fine.

Hi everyone ... Well it's all over "thank you universe!" LOL :jump:

I was a nervous wreck when I went into the dentist's office this morning. The pill last night helped me sleep, a deep sleep which prevented me from walking the floor all night crying in fear.

They gave me another pill while I was in the waiting room then after a half hour or more took me into the treatment room. They put a needle in my arm and told me that when the dentist was ready they would start the drip for the IV Sedation. That's the last I remember. The next thing I remember is a fleeting memory of what seemed to me to be someone cleaning my teeth ... or perhaps I only heard someone say something about cleaning my teeth.

I have a faint memory of walking out to the car and a snatch of memory of being in the car driving home, then of walking up the stairs to the house. The next thing I remember is sitting in my chair with a blanket over me and my sweet husband asking me how I felt and if I would like some Won Ton Soup.

Darling man that he is, slipped out to the store when I first went into the dental treatment room and picked up coffee cream (which we were out of) and 4 or more containers of Won Ton Soup plus my favourite combo plate of Chinese food ... AND there was a bunch of flowers sitting in a vase. Now is this man a keeper or what?

It went so well I'm shocked. I have to go back next week to see if everything is okay (or so hubby tells me ... I remember nothing). They gave my husband a prescription for Tylenol III for me for pain. I'm to take 2 every 4 hours ... but it only lasts for just over 2 hours then I begin to feel pain again. I'm also very sleepy and a tad dizzy, probably from the medication.

I hope I don't have dry sockets like I have in the past ... even with upper extractions I had dry sockets. But I doubt if that will happen this time because in the past the pain started almost immediately and it's been well over ten hours since the extractions.

The IV Sedation was wonderful, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is as terrified of dentists as I am. Gee, I wish they would give it to me for next week when they check me out to see how everything is.

:jump: That's wonderful news! So glad everything went well. Just think, that's another fear you can put to rest. You now know that sedation absolutely works for you.

Your husband does sound like a sweetheart. Hang on to him. :)

Congratulations :grouphug:
Really pleased for you..downhill from here as we say :ROFLMAO:

So glad it all went well for you!!! :jump:

I'm so glad it all turned out so well!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:
And I'm glad the sedation went so well, too.

My hubby also took care of me after I came home from having my extractions, so I know exactly how sweet and much-appreciated that really is at that particular time!!

Yay for you!!! :cheers:

Thanks folks.

When I was a kid, my mom would buy Chinese food whenever any of us were sick. So now that I'm fully grown, whenever I'm sick or in pain and can't eat, the only thing that I can eat is Chinese food. Even a few bites goes down well when I can't tolerate any other food.

Now here's the funny part ....

Hubby told me that when the technician brought me back to the waiting room she told him that I asked them at least 4 times to remind him that I "could have Chinese food". He thought this was funny because Chinese food is my passion.

Hubby had bought enough Chinese food to last me for 3 or 4 days (according to past history of me perhaps only eating 1 egg roll and a few bites of a combo plate) because he didn't know how long I would be sore. Apparently the amnesia effect was still going on because I don't remember eating any of it but it turns out I ate ALL of it. I ate the combo plate, 3 containers of won ton soup and 4 egg rolls ... and I remember still feeling hungry.

I do remember sipping on the soup and nibbling on an egg roll but I don't remember eating the combo plate. I do remember bits and pieces throughout the evening; one memory includes feeling sick to my stomach ... no wonder!

Thought you would enjoy that story. :redface: OMG, I'm such a pig! LOL

Back