• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two Weeks Out From Extractions...Woke Up With Funny Feeling Cheek?

K

kittykitty

Two weeks ago I had extractions on three back teeth (I'm in the process of getting a partial). The procedure went well, I had stitches that dissolved about 6 days after surgery, and I thought I was in the clear. I had minimal swelling the first few days, and things seemed to go up from there.

Anyway, I took a good look in my mouth today when i was brushing and noticed that the area where my cheek meets my gums is swollen on that side and a little red. I can actually kind of feel a "weirdness" in my cheek when I'm talking, but i'm pretty sure it's been that way since the extractions. Is this normal or should I head back to the dentist to get on antibiotics? I've had no fever or additional swelling, but I'm wondering if it's common for the area to get infected two weeks after surgery. I thought things were going so well, and now I'm worried! :(

Hi it might not be infected but I would go back to the dentist and let them have a look to make sure. It is possible to get infected after two weeks. You need to be sure before it gets worse if it is infected. :butterfly:

Hi it might not be infected but I would go back to the dentist and let them have a look to make sure. It is possible to get infected after two weeks. You need to be sure before it gets worse if it is infected. :butterfly:

Thank you for the reply! Yeah...I broke down and called my dentist this morning. He wants me to keep an eye on it and come in if it seems worse. So...I'm just kind of playing the waiting game for now. No pain or anything...so, I guess we'll see! Thanks again!;)

Back