• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very nervous person - need advice please

M

moll8989

Hi there,

I havent been to the dentist in 6 years. I know that I have Tartar build up on my bottom teeth as can see this when i look in the mirror behind my bottom teeth.
I havent been in 6 years as i suffer with severe anxiety and rarely leave the house. I need help with tips to help me get through the doors of the dentist.

I dont want to be judged by the dentist of the hygenist. Its my worst fear.

Please help!! :(

I recently went to the dentist for the first time in many years! As I suffer from anxiety as well, I told myself that it wouldnt be fair of me to make my son go if I dont go. I worried I'd be judged as the tartar was really bad on my teeth. Surprisingly, I told my hygienist about my fears and received no amount of judgment. They were extremely understanding and now, more than a month later, I got through the cleaning and I feel like a brand new person. The hardest step is making the appointment. I think you'll be just fine!

I recently went to the dentist for the first time in many years! As I suffer from anxiety as well, I told myself that it wouldnt be fair of me to make my son go if I dont go. I worried I'd be judged as the tartar was really bad on my teeth. Surprisingly, I told my hygienist about my fears and received no amount of judgment. They were extremely understanding and now, more than a month later, I got through the cleaning and I feel like a brand new person. The hardest step is making the appointment. I think you'll be just fine!

Hi Jatay,

Thanks for your response to my post. Do you mind me asking how many years you hadnt been for?/ Also what did they do when you went? I need to register with a dentist as i havent been for that long that im no longer registered with a dentist.

Thanks

Hello! I hadn't been in, I want to say, at least 20 years. I'm not sure if you'd need a deep cleaning like I had but they had to schedule me for two appointments in which they numbed one side of my mouth and cleaned the tartar off from above and below my gum line. I only felt slightly uncomfortable afterwards and not at all during it. They will stop if you feel anything. It took about an hour for each side but it was definitely worth it.

I am going through the same thing! I had a lot of calculus build up on my gums and teeth and it irritated my teeth bad I had no choice but to go see my dentist. He did a deep cleaning but didn't mention anything about gum disease just that I had a lot of Calculus build up and come back in 6 months. Now my teeth feel loose & weak I hope my gums tighten back up soon this is a horrible feeling. I should have been keeping up with my cleanings like a responsible adult:(

Did you experience any looseness or shifting in your teeth after the cleaning?
Hello! I hadn't been in, I want to say, at least 20 years. I'm not sure if you'd need a deep cleaning like I had but they had to schedule me for two appointments in which they numbed one side of my mouth and cleaned the tartar off from above and below my gum line. I only felt slightly uncomfortable afterwards and not at all during it. They will stop if you feel anything. It took about an hour for each side but it was definitely worth it.

Dear moll8989,

well done on writing here on the forum and on considering seeing a dentist. One thing I had found out recently is this: there are a lot of people, who haven't seen a dentist for some time and the only thing that counts is that they want to see one now. Some build up on the bottom teeth won't be anything new for your dentist either, it is a spot where the most people have some tartar.

I understand your fear of being judged. It might be wise to research a little bit and see if you can find a practice that appears friendly. You might consider contacting them via email or call them and explain your situation and your fears. If they will be able to reassure you, it might be worthy to give them a try.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Moll8989

I think Enarete has some great advice to see if you can do some online reseasrch even like go on FB and web pages to get a feel for offices and see if they might be anxious friendly or if you could see yourself going there.

Then email or FB message them.. now.. not all answer fb.. but sometimes they do and even the dentist might answer you personally and be very encouraging. Also I know a gal that works at the front desk of a clinic and she really encouraged me for people to let them know they are anxious. because the staff can do alot with that , and knowing your fears and knowing you were just extra brave to walk in after still being anxious.

I believe you can find a place that can support and validate and really help you instead of judging you.

I dealt with this ALOT! and still feel some embarassment over my smile.. but my dentist tells me "I'm my own worst judge and he's not there to judge me but help me"..

So I think there are alot that will be just as kind and non judgemental in your area you just have to find them.

Hi! I just wanted to reassure you that it's also normal for your teeth to feel a bit loose following any cleaning so don't let that put you off! I now go regularly (after about 12 years of not) and have gums that are in good shape so cleanings do definitely help even if they make your mouth feel a bit strange at first. Well done for taking the steps to go!

I’ve had a deep scaling done years ago. I can’t ever remember my teeth being or feeling loose. This root planing now scares me a bit if people are saying there teeth shift and feel loose

Back