• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wearing a partial next to a dental bridge & different opinions

D

Della44

Hi,
Because I have had such a fear of dental work in the past, I am now in a situation where a lot of teeth are failing, the most pressing problem I have at the moment is a loose post crown with bad gum recession. The first dentist I saw said he would remove that tooth and the one next to it because of bone loss. Then because this particular dentist only works one day a week, I had an appointment with another in the same practice, he said he would only remove the one loose tooth, although the other one is a crown and has a chip at the bottom. THE FIRST QUESTION IS..I don't really understand how I have had two different opinions on treatment? the other question is, at the other side of where the partial would be going, I have a bridge and the partial would be going right next to the free floating tooth on this bridge, I'm concerned it will damage the bridge taking it in and out (bridge is also 20 years old) can you offer any advice to these questions please?

THE FIRST QUESTION IS..I don't really understand how I have had two different opinions on treatment?
Unfortunately dentistry isn't like mathematics, there are always multiple answers to a question.

the other question is, at the other side of where the partial would be going, I have a bridge and the partial would be going right next to the free floating tooth on this bridge, I'm concerned it will damage the bridge taking it in and out (bridge is also 20 years old) can you offer any advice to these questions please?
It shouldn't be a problem. I'd be a bit worried about food packing into the space below the free floating tooth and would make sure I showed you the best way to keep it clean, but other than that it'd be OK.

Unfortunately dentistry isn't like mathematics, there are always multiple answers to a question.

It shouldn't be a problem. I'd be a bit worried about food packing into the space below the free floating tooth and would make sure I showed you the best way to keep it clean, but other than that it'd be OK.
Hi Gordon,
Thanks so much for your response, currently dealing with this very loose tooth while waiting for appointments. I was also wondering, if the tooth does come out (it is a crown on a post) how will it then be possible to take an impression for a partial denture?

Not sure I understand your question? We take impressions with missing teeth all the time?

@Della44 my mother in law has lost teeth due to gum recession and severe gum disease. Her dentist took impressions with the teeth missing and was able to make a denture for her which matched well with her remaining teeth. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Maybe the question is "how do dentists know what shape and size to make the replacement teeth when they can't take a mould of the existing teeth"?

Not sure I understand your question? We take impressions with missing teeth all the time?
Apologies, I didn't realise this could be done. I was just worried how a partial denture would be measured for without the tooth being there

@Della44 my mother in law has lost teeth due to gum recession and severe gum disease. Her dentist took impressions with the teeth missing and was able to make a denture for her which matched well with her remaining teeth. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Ah, thank you, I didn't realise that it was possible to do so

Back