• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What causes a crown on a molar to fail shortly after it is done?

It's just that he managed to introduce an infection into the tooth that was not there before. None of these symptoms were there when I had the temporary filling that was drilled out to put the crown on it.

When I said it still hurt I meant in response to cold drinks and things. It still was doing that up until very recently although it isn't now I don't think since I've finished that course of antibiotics.

I wouldn't normally be so quick to consider something like getting compensation but it's just I'd had such bad experiences with that dentist anyway. This isn't a single isolated event.

Last edited:
You seem to be really unhappy with your dentist, Hoppi. Is there any particular reason you are still getting treatment from them? This not being a single isolated event makes me feel like there is not much trust involved.

You seem to be really unhappy with your dentist, Hoppi. Is there any particular reason you are still getting treatment from them? This not being a single isolated event makes me feel like there is not much trust involved.

Well, I have had several dentists at that practice. The first dentist I had there was just lovely and I didn't have a single bad thing to say. But she left after not too long and then I had the guy that I really disliked. So I switched to someone else. She was... very good but I wish she'd warned me properly that the crown might fail. Then again I did only see her once before it as she was only a one-off emergency dentist for me there at that time.

Now... guess what? She's left too ._.

So I've been moved to somebody else, who seems kind of OK but didn't strike me as being very compassionate. It's very soon to tell though.

I wish so much that I'd just left the temporary filling in it and chewed on the other side (other than very soft foods) and gotten on with my life.

Now... I dunno. Either I get lucky and the tooth magically stabilises or one of these natural remedies I'm on works, or I get an expensive root canal even though one of the canals is blocked apparently... or I get it pulled.

Sorry to post such a long reply. It's just a shame that it's come to this point and no option looks particularly appealing so it's just an unpleasant situation to be in.

Back