• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What causes a split in the gum near a back tooth ?.

A

anonfemale

It looks like my gum near my back tooth has a bit of a split. What would cause it ?. Also, I can feel some lumps in my jaw below my back teeth.

Hi
there are lots of possiblke causes. You're probably best getting it checked for peace of mind

Would I need an emergency appointment ?. I also have swollen, receding gums. I'm not sure whether to see a doctor, dentist, or go to a walk in health centre. I have tried to call a few surgeries recently ,but they aren't taking on nhs patients. So I think I will either have to find another surgery in my area, or go to an nhs surgery that is out of my area but still close by.

well it sounds like a fairly chronic long term problem to me so try and get booked in somewhere you can get comprehensive care, not just a course of antibiotics

Thanks Rob. Do you think it is very serious ?. I worry about oral cancer and infections. I am 30 years old, I have never smoked and very rarely drink alcohol, if that helps.

Back