• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What happens if you lose a canine?

G

geog15

I have to get a root canal on my upper canine, it died after braces so is structurally sound but I cannot help worrying if down the line it might fail and I’d need it extracting. Online it says these are the most important teeth and your face would significantly change, but would an implant prevent that? I know this is all unlikely but it’s really playing on my mind at the moment!

Hi geog15,

not a dentist, but would give this a try. Canines being most important teeth - I am not that sure. If there is a thing such as the most important teeth, I would say it‘s your first molars. They are in the “chewing center“ and carry the most chewing force when you eat. If appearance worries you, then getting an implant should sort this - if it looks like a tooth and has the form of a tooth and fills the gap, then you should be fine?
When it comes to failing, chances should be very low. A canine only has one straight root so it‘s one of the easier teeth to get treated. Not comparable with a molar that can have several roots and several canals.

All the best wishes

It's not likely to fail, as Enarete says, they have 1 fairly straight root so they're pretty easy to treat. However if it did an implant would retain the bone around the root (which is what causes the shape of the face) so it wouldn't change your appearance.

Actually Enarete they are slightly more important teeth than the first molar because they are sort of the building blocks for the occlusion, not that anyone can't get by without them perfectly well.

It's not likely to fail, as Enarete says, they have 1 fairly straight root so they're pretty easy to treat. However if it did an implant would retain the bone around the root (which is what causes the shape of the face) so it wouldn't change your appearance.

Actually Enarete they are slightly more important teeth than the first molar because they are sort of the building blocks for the occlusion, not that anyone can't get by without them perfectly well.

Thanks for the explanation! Never heard about that before. Well, it’s obvious who is the dentist here.. if only giving opinions and impressions wasn‘t that tempting!:censored:

Thank you both that is reassuring! I'm sure this worrying is for nothing anyway but good to know if it fails in about 20 years time I wont suddenly look lopsided and awful :)

Thanks for the explanation! Never heard about that before. Well, it’s obvious who is the dentist here.. if only giving opinions and impressions wasn‘t that tempting!:censored:

Your opinions and impressions are extremely valuable, please don't feel that you shouldn't contribute, this forum would be much worse without your input. I wasn't trying to make you look bad and I'm very sorry if I gave you that impression.

There's a story goes around that the actress Joan Crawford had some of her upper back molars removed to give her better cheek bones for cinema. So losing a tooth maybe isn't that bad for one's appearance :) I really wouldn't recommend it though!

Your opinions and impressions are extremely valuable, please don't feel that you shouldn't contribute, this forum would be much worse without your input. I wasn't trying to make you look bad and I'm very sorry if I gave you that impression.

There's a story goes around that the actress Joan Crawford had some of her upper back molars removed to give her better cheek bones for cinema. So losing a tooth maybe isn't that bad for one's appearance :) I really wouldn't recommend it though!

Thank you very much for your kind words @Gordon! and wow, what a story... people getting extractions voluntarily to improve their appearance.. that‘s definitely a new perspective for anyone suffering from dental phobia! :grin:

Back