• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What's normal after wisdom tooth extraction? Weirdness after a month

R

remjohn

Hi

I had a lower wisdom tooth removed almost 5 weeks ago and had various complications with it. The swelling didn't go down at all after 4 days and when I went back I was given coamoxiclav which seemed to settle things down. I'm not 100% sure I had an infection as when I went back again I was told I had dry socket which, whilst I did have some bad pain at times, didn't present as most describe it. It could have been both I suppose. The hole was packed and I've been back a couple of times since - the most recent packing (alveogyl or similar) has been in for nearly two weeks now. I was told to just leave it but I'm a little apprehensive about this. On top of all this the coamoxiclav really did a number on me and I'm only getting back to normal two weeks after finishing.

I was referred for the extraction and have since been back to my usual dentist and asked him to have a look and he seemed to think it looked okay. However, over the past week I've had some odd sensations that I wouldn't necessarily say was painful but just weird - occasionally some mild soreness from quite deep in the socket. At a guess, I'd think that maybe it was the new tissue forming and being tender after jaw movement but is that even a possible explanation? Some mild pain behind the ear too. Both of these things come and go.

I was also told that some minor swelling that remained was a blood blister between my gum and cheek (I think) that might take a couple of months to go. Is that even possible? Anyway, that might be gone now but I sometimes feel like I can still feel a small bump - this could easily just be paranoia though, no one else seems to notice.

My main concern is just what kind of sensations are normal what should I worry about? I'm 39 and the tooth that was removed was partially erupted with full roots so I understand the hole will be large and take some time to heal, especially with the complications. I can live with these weird feelings while things heal but want to check that it's normal to have them. I will see my usual dentist again on Tuesday and ask him to take another look, but in the meantime I just wondered if there's anything in particular I should think about or ask him to do/look at.

Many thanks.

It has been quite some time since my wisdom teeth were out, but I had my lower second molar (with long roots) extracted 6 weeks ago. I had those same sensations you are describing and still do occasionally, although it is fading. My oral surgeon said it is normal, especially for the lower teeth. I still have pain in my jaw or deep in the socket sometimes, even though my hole is closing and healing well. I was just in for a follow up appointment with the surgeon last week, and he said I may have pain off and on for a while, but nothing that is constant or throbbing. As I am typing, I just got a dull pain shoot through my jaw, near my ear.

I am also 39, and I do believe age has a factor in healing. Antibiotics did a number on me this summer, and it took months to get back to normal.

Thanks for the reply. Looking online for guides suggests everything should be completely fine after 4 weeks but I think this must only apply to American teenagers from toothpaste ads. Men pushing 40 like me seem to have a harder time and I've seen others say it's taken them 3 months or more so I'm a little less worried that I still have a big hole.

Most if not all of the dressing seems to have come out now and I no longer have the bad taste/smell from that which is a relief and I can irrigate it with a syringe without any major pain. It's just a weird feeling in the jaw at times as if something is off but I can't quite describe how - sort of like a numbness you'd get from swelling, not the pins and needles nerve numbness that you get if the nerve is injured - cheek and lips are fine. It feels like my gums are bigger or something. It also seems like my cheek is tightening around the area, like it's stretched or something, possibly just falling in a bit more now there's no tooth there to stop it. There are no visual signs for any of this. It's all very odd.

I've also just had a large filling done on the tooth in front which is occasionally painful as well as one on the tooth above - both of which I was told may need root canals if the fillings don't settle. This of course has convinced me they won't. I also have a root canal from September on the other side which still hasn't settled and flares up occasionally. I went to an endodontist who said it looks okay from initial inspection but I'm going to go back to him and just get him to sort everything out I think.

I get quite anxious and impatient with it all so just want it all done. Some pain while things heal is fine, as long as I know it's all done and okay.

Thanks again.

I talked with my oral surgeon about the timeline as well, because I was reading the same thing. I also read that it should be completely healed by one month, which wasn't the case for me. I still have aches, and some weird feelings in my jaw. The surgeon said it was all normal and not to worry unless it actually was swelling or had pain that didn't stop.

It has taken me quite some time to adjust and my mouth and jaw still feels odd and 'off' most of the time.

I will say not to worry about the teeth next to it and above. Both my upper molars and the three teeth next to the extraction site would ache and have spontaneous pain. I was convinced I was going to have to have more work done, but it did eventually settle. It just gradually got less and less and not I still get an occasional twinge, but not like before.

The other ones I'm worried about have actually had big fillings placed on them in the last month, it's not just related to the extraction though that might be making it worse. The one in front was getting pushed into by the tooth that was extracted so had a dent in the side. The one above had a chunk crack off 2 years ago and has had three or four large fillings now that keep failing so it seems inevitable that will need something else done as a more permanent fix.

Thanks for sharing though, it's always helpful to know you're not the only one. Hopefully it'll just fill in over time. It does at least look better than it did which must be a good sign. I've noticed today that I have some sort of wrinkle or crease along the gum on that side now - no idea what that is but suspect it's normal or has always been there, I can sort of see a much less apparent version on the other side. My paranoia is just on overdrive at the moment.

I've been told that my mouth is 'generally healthy' (if not exactly great) so it's especially annoying when you see documentaries about people on meth or whatever and they never seem remotely bothered about their teeth. I suppose they have bigger issues but in general you see some terrible teeth and gums on people who seem to have no worries at all. Mine aren't perfect, but I'd expect less issues than I'm having considering.

The other ones I'm worried about have actually had big fillings placed on them in the last month, it's not just related to the extraction though that might be making it worse. The one in front was getting pushed into by the tooth that was extracted so had a dent in the side. The one above had a chunk crack off 2 years ago and has had three or four large fillings now that keep failing so it seems inevitable that will need something else done as a more permanent fix.

Thanks for sharing though, it's always helpful to know you're not the only one. Hopefully it'll just fill in over time. It does at least look better than it did which must be a good sign. I've noticed today that I have some sort of wrinkle or crease along the gum on that side now - no idea what that is but suspect it's normal or has always been there, I can sort of see a much less apparent version on the other side. My paranoia is just on overdrive at the moment.

I've been told that my mouth is 'generally healthy' (if not exactly great) so it's especially annoying when you see documentaries about people on meth or whatever and they never seem remotely bothered about their teeth. I suppose they have bigger issues but in general you see some terrible teeth and gums on people who seem to have no worries at all. Mine aren't perfect, but I'd expect less issues than I'm having considering.

I know exactly what you mean. I have always been told I have excellent dental hygiene, and yet I have had almost a year of one problem after another, after nothing worse than a cavity for almost 20 years.

I think people on meth probably are numb to the pain from the meth. I would be guessing on that, but it would seem logical.

Back