• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why did the Dentist not take photo of cracked tooth? He only took X-rays.

D

Dental_Forum_RP

Why did the Dentist not take photo of cracked tooth? He only took X-rays.

The Dentist took X-rays of the cracked tooth. The crack did not show up on the X-ray. Dentist explained to me
that X-ray is a 2D image and will not display crack... He will not know the extent of the crack (depth) until he starts drilling. And he schedduled me for a drilling appointment.

After the appointment, a Dentist acquaintance told me that there is technology, other than X-Rays, similar to photo cameras, that can be used to possibly visualize the crack.

He told me that the crack should be photographed before drilling. This makes sense to me. If the photo shows the crack to be small, maybe the drilling is not necessary? He told me every dental office will have this special camera.

Any reason why the cracked tooth would not be photographed?

Re: Why did the Dentist not take photo of cracked tooth? He only took X-rays.

The Dentist took X-rays of the cracked tooth. The crack did not show up on the X-ray. Dentist explained to me
that X-ray is a 2D image and will not display crack... He will not know the extent of the crack (depth) until he starts drilling. And he schedduled me for a drilling appointment.

After the appointment, a Dentist acquaintance told me that there is technology, other than X-Rays, similar to photo cameras, that can be used to possibly visualize the crack.

He told me that the crack should be photographed before drilling. This makes sense to me. If the photo shows the crack to be small, maybe the drilling is not necessary? He told me every dental office will have this special camera.

Any reason why the cracked tooth would not be photographed?

Only imaging I know of that can *possibly* detect crack in tooth where that same crack would not appear on regular Dental imaging is a CT scan...very expensive. And again, isn't 100% positive to identify every crack. I had CT dental imaging done for (long story)...cost was $299.00 USD. Insurance paid $0.

To my knowledge, Endodontists have specialized equipment that can *possibly* detect a crack below the crown of the tooth if crack is in right position...this would have to be done during a root canal or other similar exploratory procedure.

Maybe a Dentist can chime in here and tell us of other potential imagining confirmation of crack?

Yes, I am disappointed that this Dentist acquaintance (very experienced) told me that every root canal office has this equipment.

When I went in to the office and requested the picture, they said, "our office just has x-rays we do not have an oral camera"...

In any case, from your description of CT imagery/cameras, it sounds like something that is only done after drilling inside.

It does not sound like something that is done prior to an invasive drilling procedure, that would provide info that could possibly preempt the procedure.

I think I'm missing some parts of your story? Has your Dentist already begun drilling into the tooth to inspect and treat a crack that was visible upon exam or...has your Dentist told you that your symptoms indicate you have a cracked tooth and drilling into it will tell the story?

No miracle device for cracks exists at this time. Trans illumination is helpful and I do I have intraoral camera. But seeing a surface crack is just the start. It is reasonable to explore a crack many times especially if it is symptomatic.
Ultrasound may well be able to detect cracks. It is currently being developed.
http://s-rayinc.com/our-technology/

I think I'm missing some parts of your story? Has your Dentist already begun drilling into the tooth to inspect and treat a crack that was visible upon exam or...has your Dentist told you that your symptoms indicate you have a cracked tooth and drilling into it will tell the story?

Drilling has not started. My Dentist has diagnosed cracked tooth. Crack is not visible on X-Ray. I don't know if he can visually see the crack -- did not ask him. He mentioned that there is some looseness when he probes with his tool. He says he must drill to get the story of the crack.

Another Dentist acquaintance (very experienced) advised to take a picture (or whatever it is) in addition to the X-ray, before starting the drilling. He said every office will have one (California). But apparently he has given me the wrong info.

Back