• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wierd growth in mouth..

M

micflair

Okay guys here we go.

About 6 or 7 years ago I needed root canal on one of my top back teeth. Had the tooth hollowed out and the root pulled (very nice..). Anyway, cutting a long story short I never got back to the dentists to have the work finished, leaving me with a hollow tooth so to speak.

After an incident at work, (shoplifter punching me in the mouth haha) the tooth snapped off, leaving just the part inside my gum, and some sharp bits sticking out.. Again, never got round to see the dentist to get it whipped out.

Since the tooth got 80% knocked out ive not had any problems with it regarding pain or anything, untill this week when Ive noticed a bit of pain up there, I run my tounge around to feel what I can only describe as a little lump, maybe the size of a small pea. Again - hard to explain but its like `hanging down' from the gum next to the hole where my tooth is (was). Its a bit tender to touch but not giving me major pain. After messing about with it with my tounge it seemed to have decreased in size, only for a few hours later for it to have gone back to its original size.

Im going to get down to the dentists next week with no excuses, but because Ive not been for a while its going to take me a while to get registered on the NHS again as there are hardly any in my area who are taking on at the moment.

Im trying to take a picture of my new friend, but hard to get the camera in my mouth..

Any advice?

Managed to get a photo, the offending item is behind the tooth as you can see. Looks a lot worse on the photo that what it feels like if im being honest!

Attachments

• P1010727.jpg
    P1010727.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 22
Looks like an abscess to me micflair.
This can happen even if the tooth is not causing any major pain/problems. It looks like there is some gum overgrowth happening. The remaining root needs to be removed for the problems to go away properly.
Hope that helps.
David

Back