N
Nathan_Lee
Junior member
- Joined
- Apr 1, 2018
- Messages
- 19
Hi Members,
So after visiting my dentist for an infection in one partially erupted bottom wisdom tooth (this is the second time on the same tooth), I'm told by my dentist that I should have all 4 wisdom teeth removed.
Further, he is saying it will be under general anaesthesia.
Needless to say, I'm a little petrified. Unfortunately I have suffered from pretty bad health anxiety and generalised anxiety for quiet some time and I hate it...but it is what it is.
So many things running through my mind concerning the procedure but the main things I feel are:
- lack of control
- haven't been under ga since my childhood years (I'm 30 now)
- the idea of them tearing teeth out of my mouth
- the idea of not waking up
- the idea of "lights out " and nothing but darkness
I have a specialist dental surgeon booked for 4 May and he is pretty revered for our town, so I know I'm in good hands...BUT...I still can't shake the above fears.
Can anyone qualm my fears here?
Does GA feel like sleeping/dozing or is it an abrupt sleep?
Can I possibly have a diazepam before the procedure to calm down?
Please tell me everything will be alright! Haha
So after visiting my dentist for an infection in one partially erupted bottom wisdom tooth (this is the second time on the same tooth), I'm told by my dentist that I should have all 4 wisdom teeth removed.
Further, he is saying it will be under general anaesthesia.
Needless to say, I'm a little petrified. Unfortunately I have suffered from pretty bad health anxiety and generalised anxiety for quiet some time and I hate it...but it is what it is.
So many things running through my mind concerning the procedure but the main things I feel are:
- lack of control
- haven't been under ga since my childhood years (I'm 30 now)
- the idea of them tearing teeth out of my mouth
- the idea of not waking up
- the idea of "lights out " and nothing but darkness
I have a specialist dental surgeon booked for 4 May and he is pretty revered for our town, so I know I'm in good hands...BUT...I still can't shake the above fears.
Can anyone qualm my fears here?
Does GA feel like sleeping/dozing or is it an abrupt sleep?
Can I possibly have a diazepam before the procedure to calm down?
Please tell me everything will be alright! Haha
wisdom teeth are scary enough even without a general anesthesia and without any further issues so I totally get your anxiety about the procedure. I have no own experiences with GA (hope you get some replies from experienced members soon too), but there are a lot of success stories about it here on the forum. The anxiety before it will be the worst part, but you won't remember anything from the procedure itself (so no tearing anything out of your mouth). From what the other members report: you will get very calm first and right after that it will be over. I don't know about the diazepam, but it might be a good idea to ask your dental team about this and to voice any concerns. 

