• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worries About Tooth Bits and Cheek Pain

H

haeshin

I had all four wisdom teeth removed and now in one of them (upper right) I have hard bits poking out of the gums. They don't hurt at all but I feel one protruding on the side of my gums when I smile hard, otherwise I don't feel it at all. People say that they come out on their own over time but I had my wisdom teeth removed a few months ago! What if it's bone?

Also I've been having random pain in the left side of my teeth, mild but annoying enough to make me go for an Advil, and sometimes it throbs painlessly. Dentist said that I needed a high filling ground down a bit and part of the problem might be my habit of chewing on one side, and I need some deep cleaning, but now I'm feeling random pain in the upper side only and sometimes only in my cheek! Is it the nerves? Tiny cavities? Sometimes I examine the pained parts when the pain goes away and they don't hurt at all. No sensitivity to cold or heat, at least not more than the usual if, say, you bit down on a ice cube so naturally there'd be some pain!

It's thanks to this that I'm only now starting to freak out about the bone bits left behind by my wisdom teeth extraction. Fear and worry breeds fear and worry, and I can't stop myself from going in circles and staying up at night! I have my deep cleaning appointment in two weeks so I'm hoping that I have the nerve to say all this, but there's a naive part of me hoping that it'll all go away by then! I'm so scared of having something wrong enough that a mere visit to the dentist won't fix it.

A tiny part of me wants to laugh at myself. Last time I thought it was something huge it turned out to be the opposite, so why can't it be the same this time? And yet I can't stop the fear.

Update: Muscle/teeth pains on only one side turned out to be because I've been chewing exclusively on that side in the months since my wisdom teeth extraction. Daily jaw stretching exercises and teeth sensitivity toothpaste are doing the job so far.

I was just at the dentist for tooth pain, mostly in the spot where a tooth was extracted. I thought it was referred pain from another tooth. It was a sinus infection!

Back