• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

“Nobody LIKES going to the dentist”

M

Molar_bear

Forum Buddy
Just curious how many of you have come across this phrase when you tell people you are terrified/anxious/fear going to the dentist?

I know I have. Some people I have met seem to wrongly equate the too and think this is enough to get you to i) stop avoiding and go, ii) not fear it?! ?

So... Just wondering what people’s experiences are toward how others treat their dental fear? And what they do or don’t find helpful?

Yes, I hear that a lot. They don’t seem to understand there’s a difference between not liking it and having a genuine phobia about it. I appreciate when people just acknowledge that my fear is real.

I've heard something similar to that. When I was telling a friend of mine that I don't want to have my wisdom teeth out, she told me, "Nobody wants to do it! You think I wanted to have mine out?" Like that's going to magically solve the problem and then I'll go and get them removed.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. People with genuine phobias don't snap out of it so easily and quickly. Because there is a difference. And while they say they don't want to do it, they'll still have it done anyway while people like me are sobbing and unable to call and schedule an appointment.

Right? There's a huge difference between "I really don't want to," and "I CAN'T."

Yes!! It makes you feel like there's something wrong with you, instead of the fact that a phobia is a genuine thing that many people struggle with....there isn't anything wrong with you at ALL, but hearing that sure makes you feel bad.
"Snap out of it"! "Get over it!" "It's not that big of a deal." On it goes.
I had a friend drive me to get a root canal once, and was terrified. When I got out, shaking & exhausted, she said, "Well, are you a big girl now?" I wanted to punch her. We don't need that kind of "help"!!

I don’t understand how anyone “likes it” what’s fun

Back