• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

11 days after having widom tooth removed, still pain?

N

NicolaLouise98

I got my wisdom tooth removed 11 days ago. It didn't take long and there wasn't any complications as far as I'm aware. Accept for the fact I felt the pain all the way through despite being numbed multiple times. Plus, when he removed the wisdom tooth, he showed there was an abscess at the very bottom and he said that explained why it hurt so much to be removed. It's been an incredibly anxious time for me with this recovery because as a lot of people are, I'm terrified of being in pain. I had a lot of problems with my wisdom tooth when I had it. It was getting infected every couple of weeks, which meant months/1 year of agonising pain. I don't want to feel that pain again, let alone pain from dry socket because it sounds like some how it could be even more painful that an abscess! At the moment I don't think I'm worried about dry socket because the hole still seems dark. It is my first extraction (it shows) so I'm not sure what I should expect. Is aching/pain still normal after this long? It's not unbearable, it is mild, but still requires pain killers. The pain isn't always there either. Also when I swallow sometimes it seems to hurt. The pain did seem to go away after about a 5/6 days, but it seems to have started back up again. Making it hard to eat again because of the occasional sharp pain when I chew. I have a tiny bit of the bad taste I had at the start of recovery, but not nearly as bad. The hole seems to be still pretty big and as I've still been doing salt washes regularly. When I spit , I've been getting white bits that looks like bits of tissue? Not sure what that could be. I know some dentist put something in the extraction site to prevent dry socket, I'm not sure if that's what my dentist did because he didn't mention it, but if he did could that explain the white bits I see in my spit and/ or the pain from it maybe being pushed out of the hole? I know I sound really clueless, but I am. I've had no check up, and very little information on recovery. Dispite the hours of online research I've done. Sorry this post was so long, but I thought I'd get all my worries of my chest. Does this sound like a normal recovery? Did you experience similar? Or do I have to make a dreaded visit to the dentist. Thank you in advance.

You are long past dry socket time. If that happens its usually within the first 2-3 days of the surgery. It will take awhile for the hole to completely heal up, think 3-4 weeks. When I had an impacted wisdom tooth out, the pain was mostly gone by the 7th day but for about a week after I still needed aspirin before going to bed since I would feel the pain kick in while laying down. If you feel like the pain is getting worse or not improving then you should follow up with your dentist.

The below article has some good information.
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/

You are long past dry socket time. If that happens its usually within the first 2-3 days of the surgery. It will take awhile for the hole to completely heal up, think 3-4 weeks. When I had an impacted wisdom tooth out, the pain was mostly gone by the 7th day but for about a week after I still needed aspirin before going to bed since I would feel the pain kick in while laying down. If you feel like the pain is getting worse or not improving then you should follow up with your dentist.

The below article has some good information.
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/
Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply, means a lot! Thank you for that link too, I will take a look.

Back