• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess - need an extraction phobia at it's worst

I'm out. I did it. It was awful though, the first extraction was far less traumatic for me than today. I'm also in quite a bit of pain. As soon as the tooth was out I felt a burning pain start. It's not stopped and is fairly painful, is pain after extraction normal? I ask because last time I felt no pain at all, I feel like my cheek and face is on Fire.

I'm so sorry! I have had that kind of pain post-extraction. Do you have pain meds to take? Ibuprofen?

I've taken two paracetamol and will take two ibuprofen shortly. It is very painful. I wonder if it is because I had an abscess ? I only had a short course of 7 tablets to take.

Im hoping it is just normal pain. I told my dentist before I left I had pain he checked and said it all looked ok.

I don't know! I knew this time wasn't going to be as easy as last time.

the antibiotics you already have should be fine, now that the tooth is out your body can get rid of the rest of the infection. I'm sorry it was painful this time. I only have the one experience... but I would think yes it probably is more painful because the tissues were already irritated by infection.

Sorry it was painful, hope ypu have a quick recovery.

Paracetamol have worked, I also think the fact the numbness had worn off by the time I left didn't help with the pain I felt. I'm still sore but painkillers are doing their job.

Im also going without a cigarette again. I haven't had one since 10pm last night when I run out, I figured there was no point buying more because I'd have to stop after this extraction. I'm going cold Turkey at the minute but I think I need to get to the pharmacy to buy patches and an e cig.

Paracetamol have worked, I also think the fact the numbness had worn off by the time I left didn't help with the pain I felt. I'm still sore but painkillers are doing their job.

Im also going without a cigarette again. I haven't had one since 10pm last night when I run out, I figured there was no point buying more because I'd have to stop after this extraction. I'm going cold Turkey at the minute but I think I need to get to the pharmacy to buy patches and an e cig.

you can't use an ecig either, it's the same sucking motion as a cigarette. no straws either. you don't want to end up with dry socket. stick to the patches

Yes I knew that I meant to get one to have in a few days time.
Sorry im whacked today not explaining myself properly.

Ibuprofen may work better or you can take them both. You can take up to 800mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours unless you have medical issues and then you should ask a pharmacist or a doc. I've been told by a doctor Ibuprofen does not really work as an anti-inflammatory unless you take at least 600mg at a time. Glad the paracetamol is working for now!

Today it is less painful, I haven't had to take painkillers. I'm so hungry I have just ordered an omelette. I haven't smoked since Thursday evening and today I bought patches so I am using this as an opportunity to quit. I haven't really wanted one either. Since the abscess started I've felt grotty I still feel off colour now, not sure if I'm a little run down.

Today im going to start the saltwater rinses. My mouth tastes rank, my teeth have a horrible coating on them as does my tongue. Brushing this morning was fun it is hard to avoid the extraction site but brush the neighbouring teeth.

Today the gum is very sore and irritated is that normal? I can see on the outer edge of the extraction site what looks like a piece of tooth there could it be a piece of bone coming through making it sore.

Im so paranoid about dry socket. My partner had it last month. I think the site looks normal

It could very well be a splinter coming out - totally normal... Though annoying and uncomfortable. :(. I had thatThank had my wisdom teeth out and it was uncomfortable enough that I asked my dentist to just remove it instead of waiting for it to work itself out.

It seems to have eased off as the day has gone on. This time my mouth is definitely more sore than the first extraction I had.

Would I be able to brush the teeth either side of the gap now. My teeth are so dry and coated it's horrible. I had it out on Friday so it's been two days.

yes you can brush all your other teeth today, and in a couple days you can also gently brush the extraction site. be gentle when rinsing, no vigorous swishing or spitting

I am now paranoid. The dentist office have just called me to ask if I'm ok after Friday and am I in pain? I explained I was in pain Friday and it has been sore on and off since. They told me to call should I need to.

Im paranoid now that they think something is wrong. Even though it is just likely they are checking up after I complained of pain right after the extraction.

Hi it sounds like a standard phone call that some dentists make after treatment especially extractions. I would consider yourself a very lucky lady that you have such a nice and caring dentist. I am glad things are going well for you and I think you did really well getting the extraction done :jump::jump::jump::butterfly:

Another filling is booked for next Monday. It is an upper right molar. I'm hoping that it goes alright and doesn't turn out to be a problem like the last filling did. It's kind of put me off a little. This tooth has needed a filling for as long as the tooth that was just removed did.

I never had the last appointment can't remember why but I cancelled. I've had to re arrange it a few times now for one thing or another. Well today is the day and in two hours I have an appointment for a filling.

I am scared again. I'm scared because the last filling I had ended up being weeks of pain afterwards and then abscessed and then needed extracting. What if the same happens today? My dentist knew after the last filling that it might need RCT. This filling is the last of one direction f the ones I've needed doing for years somy gut instinct is that it has probably decayed to far and I'll have all the same problems as the last filling.

I never had the last appointment can't remember why but I cancelled. I've had to re arrange it a few times now for one thing or another. Well today is the day and in two hours I have an appointment for a filling.

I am scared again. I'm scared because the last filling I had ended up being weeks of pain afterwards and then abscessed and then needed extracting. What if the same happens today? My dentist knew after the last filling that it might need RCT. This filling is the last of one direction f the ones I've needed doing for years somy gut instinct is that it has probably decayed to far and I'll have all the same problems as the last filling.

Good Luck I hope everything works out for you :)

Back