• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess - need an extraction phobia at it's worst

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. I am petrified like last time

I know, it's scary. just try to focus on the time after the appointment. remember it went well for you last time and you healed up normally. Just think about the appointment being over and you being snuggled up on the couch resting at home with no more toothache. (((((hugs)))))))

Thanks scaredy. I can't believe I have to have another tooth out again.

I feel so anxious this morning, I'm sweating, stomach is in knots, and I can't stop shaking. I was hoping yesterday it would be put off til another day with me having the abscess.

Hi Betty77

By what you are explaining it sounds as though this tooth of yours has been a problem over a long period of time.
In fact the pain you had on Boxing Day has likely been waiting to happen for months.

The looseness is likely the whole tooth and not jsut the crown.Teeth that had an abscess often becomes loose due to the changes in the bone that supports the tooth...the good news is that this often makes it much easier to take out these teeth.(Almost like a tree that is not well rooted in the ground any more)
In the unlikely case of your crown coming out before your next appointment.....nothing to be concerned about.The pain you had is coming from the infection under the tooth and as the tooth is dead it would cause you no pain or problem when the crown comes out.It might look strange but nothing to worry about.

All will go well.

This a a different tooth! I had the crowned tooth extracted a few weeks back. This tooth was filled a month ago and has caused me pain since. Thank you for your reply though

I feel so anxious this morning, I'm sweating, stomach is in knots, and I can't stop shaking. I was hoping yesterday it would be put off til another day with me having the abscess.

I'm with you in spirit. good luck today, and speedy healing.

It has been rescheduled to tomorrow. Due to me not being on the antibiotics for 24 hours and the fact that I might not get numb properly. He asked me if I still wanted to go ahead today. I said no obviously :) after he explained the LA may not work I said I would rather wait until I had finished them.

I took two yesterday in the dentists, one last night and one this morning. I still have another three to take.

Ugh! Another day of waiting... The worst! The waiting is so bad for me that I probably would have just let him pull it. You are a better woman than I :). I will be thinking about you tomorrow and will be sending good energy your way.

I'm with Fearful, I would have wanted it over with because for me the worrying about it is worse than the actual doing LOL
Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you will be able to get numbed and it will be fine.

I told him to do what he thought best. To be honest I didn't fancy finding out whether the LA would work. So yes another 24 hours of waiting.

I've totally lost my bottle. After the extraction before I didn't think I would feel so worried but I am, as much I was last time. I'm worried about the numbing, the procedure everything. I'm scared it isn't as easy to extract as the last one. The last was hardly any visible tooth below the gumline. This is a whole tooth.

Im worried I don't numb up properly I've only taken a small course of antibiotics. I know it needs pulling. The filling didn't work and it is probably passed root canal stage.

i really am cross with myself for not going to the dentist for all that time through fear. This tooth could have been saved had I not been so scared of going to the dentist.

Dear Betty
i am going through a similar problem at the moment, and are due to go to the dentists next Thursday. Like you I am going through massive panics, anxiety and constantly thinking about it. I wish I knew what the Dentist will do as I have nothing to show what is causing the pain. I hope you have had the extraction and things have settled for you!
very best wishes!

I'm having to go through all the same anxiety I did yesterday. I feel sick. I've decided to quit smoking though , I ran out last night and thought now is the time I need to stop seeing as I can't smoke after the extraction.

I have re read my old posts on here trying to make myself feel better about the extraction. I'm still utterly petrified though.

Ugh. Appointment is 1145 not 1245 as I thought. That means I need to start getting ready very soon.

Good luck with the appointment! I'm sure you'll feel a lot better once it is all over!

Thank you. I'm setting off shortly.

Cant believe I am so scared.

I'm the same way- I totally freak out and text my hubby that I don't think I can do it. Then I hop into my car and walk right in. And I feel so much better about myself once I'm leaving the dentist. But still... that fear leading up to the appointment is such a pain to deal with.

I've totally lost my bottle. After the extraction before I didn't think I would feel so worried but I am, as much I was last time. I'm worried about the numbing, the procedure everything. I'm scared it isn't as easy to extract as the last one. The last was hardly any visible tooth below the gumline. This is a whole tooth.

Im worried I don't numb up properly I've only taken a small course of antibiotics. I know it needs pulling. The filling didn't work and it is probably passed root canal stage.

i really am cross with myself for not going to the dentist for all that time through fear. This tooth could have been saved had I not been so scared of going to the dentist.

Deep breaths, you will be fine. You have been on antibiotics long enough to calm the infection and make it possible to numb you. Also they are much better at numbing these days anyway. I had a root canal while I was infected and without having been on antibiotics and they still got me numb. Just remember they will check to make sure you are numb before they even start and if you feel anything they will stop right away and numb you more. A whole tooth is even easier to get out than one that is only to the gum line. you will be ok.
Don't beat yourself up over the past, you can't change it now and there is no sense blaming yourself for having to get this tooth out.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: and what scaredycat 22 said :butterfly: Breath :thumbsup:

Back