• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess - need an extraction phobia at it's worst

  • Thread starter Thread starter Betty77
  • Start date Start date
I won't spit sorry ;)I just wanted to see if it was blood only or mixed with saliva. I had the gauze in again for a while but it was making me gag. I'm assuming the taste of blood is normal? My dentist did fire off a load of information at me afterwards that i couldn't take in because i was so excited that I had actually done it!!
And has given me an advice sheet. Obviously blood isn't gushing around my mouth but every time I swallow i can taste it. I haven't dared eat or drink anything yet - other than a glass of warm water to take some paracetamol with. I'm starving as well now.
 
if you really want to check you can just dab at your spit with a napkin but no forceful spitting and no rinsing today and no brushing. it's normal you will taste blood most of today. it will even ooze a little. you do not have to bite on gauze unless you are still bleeding a lot.
 
if your numbness has worn off you can go ahead and have some soft foods. chew only on the other side. it may taste icky at first like blood. if you have soup don't heat it too much. no super hot tea or coffee or soup today, hot foods and liquids can dissolve the blood clot that you need to form for healing
 
Numbness has just about worn off. Even that hasn't phased me!! Four years I have spent worrying about numbness and being numbed - it was fine. The Wand is a revolution. If anything i possibly felt a slight, incy, tiny scratch when he put LA in. I will eat shortly and definitely won't eat on that side not that I have for ages anyway - i've trained myself to eat at the other side of my mouth. I wonder what delicious soft meal I can come up with?? All I really fancy is a McDonalds Quarter Pounder with cheese meal, a cigarette and a glass of wine (I never touched any last night!) all of those are out of the question unfortunately.

My mouth feels full of saliva and like i'm having to swallow constantly. I won't spit any more sorry.

I feel totally overwhelmed and liberated after actually having a tooth out - I still cannot believe it ;D:)
 
You are already way ahead of me lol. The first 2 days I only had apple sauce and chicken broth.
The no smoking was really hard on me, even though I have quit and switched to an electronic cig those are not allowed either. I used a nicotine patch for 3 days then could not stand it anymore. I think it was 4 days til I had a mcdonalds hamburger
 
Honestly I feel so relieved I just want a cig and a glass of wine to celebrate. I feel like i have climbed and conquered Mount Everest today.

I will try not to smoke for as long as possible but i'm not sure i will get to day 4!!! I'll probably end up buckling and having one tomorrow :confused:

I'm totally ravenous now - I could eat a horse as we say in these parts (not literally)
 
Even if you only make it through today without smoking that is pretty good. your tooth was an upper correct? uppers have a lesser risk of getting dry socket than lowers do. Try not to smoke today and if you do smoke tomorrow take very gentle easy puffs.
 
Betty, what is a wand?
 
Carriss it is a magical thingie that some dentists have to numb you with instead of shots, a machine does it. I read about it somewhere on this site. I will see if I can find the page
 
Betty, what is a wand?

Here you go, this has a pic and tells about the wand

 
Betty I am so happy things went so well for you today and that you are on the mend....and relieved it is over! Very Well Done!!!
 
Hello,

Cheers! I hope things continue to improve.

Thanks.
 
Thankyou all. I am still gobsmacked i did it. I cannot believe i went to a dentists, sat in the chair, let them numb me and remove a tooth!!!!!!!!! How did i do it? I don't know!

I haven't had a cigarette since the extraction at 2pm yesterday. I REALLY want one now. Should I wait longer? It's not even as though I can replace not smoking with eating. Going cold turkey is hard - all I can think about is having a cigarette. My dentist did tell me 48 hours before smoking, I'm trying my hardest to follow the advice given for afterwards as i really don't want this dry socket i keep being told and hearing about.
 
Can you use a nicotine patch? That is what I did. I could never make it cold turkey. It is really best if you do not smoke today. Dry socket is horrible and very painful.

If you absolutely must smoke do so very carefully. Do not take hard deep drags, just very light puffs.

If you HAVE to smoke try it this way

 
I won't smoke today - i don't think. I really do want one so bad but i really don't want to experience dry socket either.
Will I be OK for one tomorrow? I'm pretty sure my dentist said 48 hours after extraction.
 
In the US they tell us not to for 1 week! In the UK they say for 2-3 days.
Just hold out as long as you possibly can. Dry socket is more rare in upper teeth than lowers so you do have that going for you. In that post I linked you to they say people cover the socket with gauze and smoke if they must.
 
I've known people smoke within a few hours of the extraction. I just do not want to run the risk of dry socket.

I know i should really use this as an opportunity to quit but i don't want to all i want is a cigarette so bad :shame:
 
When I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out I smoked in the car on the way home from the oral surgeon! But mine were so severely impacted that they had cut flaps in my gums and then holes in my jaw and took my teeth out in small pieces and then sewed my gums shut so my extraction wounds were much smaller than the big gaping hole I had from this molar. plus I was young and stupid then lol.
I made it to day 4 with this molar and then lit up, but I had a supply of nicotine patches to hold me over til then
 
I have no nicotine patches only an inhalator which i'm guessing is out of the question also.

I am so looking forward having a cigarette.
 
inhalers would be a no no. I switched to an e cig which is also a no no, so are straws.
I bought the patches specially for my extraction because I didn't trust myself. hold off as long as you can. if you can't make it at least cover the extraction with gauze and smoke very gently and lightly and carefully. and not too often.
 
Back
Top