• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bleeding 9 days after tooth extraction

F

Fanny

I have been awake all night because an upper molar I had removed 9 days ago started to bleed and is still going on despite holding gauze and biting down. I have now run out of gauze. My current one is soaking. I am on rivaroxiban, the blood thinner. it did not bleed after extraction ...I had two stitches put in but now. Why? The dentist is closed today Sunday and I am wondering if I should go to a and e at local hospital. Help? Would the hospital help or should I wait and see if it stops. If I take the gauze off it may pull off any plug that’s formed. I have no more gauze until I get to chemist at 10am. The site was doing well until this.

Fanny, I can only suggest you trust your own instincts. If you feel like you are losing too much blood, or that you can't eat and are starting to starve... anything like that.... get to a&e, just to be safe.
If you feel ok to wait until tomorrow; maybe phone the dentist first, mentioning the blood thinner.
The only reason I'm not suggesting a&e right away is because you said it was 9 days ago. Have you bit on anything that has aggravated the site or has it been bleeding too much for 9 days? Maybe best to be sure if it's been constantly bleeding.
9 days would have me anxious...
Best of luck. I know nothing about the blood thinner medicine, so my advice is very amateur.

Is it still oozing? How long did you hold the gauze in place?

Try dampening a clean teabag and bite down on that. Do it for at least 10 minutes, 15 if you can manage it and re-evaluate.
There should be an on-call dental service where you live. Try the teabag trick and if that fails contact the out of hours number.

You need to see your dentist who can prescribe Tranexamic Acid Mouthwash. It might have to be made up for you.

By the way most dentists don't know about its use.

By the way most dentists don't know about its use.
Thanks for responding. I think the stitches broke and that started the bleed. I used gauze and bit down for 45 mins and it stopped but it was scary.

Is it still oozing? How long did you hold the gauze in place?

Try dampening a clean teabag and bite down on that. Do it for at least 10 minutes, 15 if you can manage it and re-evaluate.
There should be an on-call dental service where you live. Try the teabag trick and if that fails contact the out of hours number.
Thanks for responding. I bit down on gauze wad for 45 mins and it stopped. I think my stitches came apart and that maybe tore part of tissue. I will try teabag next time if there is another time. I hope not. Is the teabag free of bacteria? And how soon can I brush my tooth extraction area. I have just been doing my other teeth for 11 days and rinsing with salt water. How do I stop food getting into the hole and causing an infection?

Possibly, 9 days on then the sutures are designed to break down at that stage...
Bacteria don't matter, your immune system can cope easily. You can brush anytime, just be a little bit careful not to go battering the socket with the brush :)
Doesn't matter about food going into the socket.

Back