• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can this cracked molar be salvaged?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FrightenedJerk
  • Start date Start date
F

FrightenedJerk

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2011
Messages
114
Location
Pittsburgh
Hi. This is tooth 18, one of the teeth that needed a filling, but I waited too long, and a portion of it cracked off a couple months ago. Again I have procrastinated, and more cracked off today. The pulp is exposed in some areas. I couldn't get a great shot of the exposed pulp, but let me know if you need a better shot. Basically the top crevice is exposing the pulp down inside it, and then around most of the back. Around the back is where the pulp is flush with the gum, so the fact that it is probably below the gum line makes me think this tooth cannot be salvaged and would need removed. The tooth in front of it, 19, I have been told definitely needs removed.

I'm wondering if anything can be done with this such as a crown.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250723_192913662_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20250723_192913662_HDR.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20250723_192928859_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20250723_192928859_HDR.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 25
Sorry, that's for the bucket I'm afraid. However you have a nice intact wisdom tooth there that may well erupt into the space when the 2nd molar goes... with a bit of luck!
 
@Gordon Thanks for your response. Why do you say it can't be saved, because of what I described about the pulp around the back? On a lower molar on the right side, I had a patch of the tooth on the side that had totally come off, exposing the pulp, and they were able to put a simple filling cover over it. Couldn't something similar be laid on this, or wouldn't it stand up to the stressors?

I would be looking to get implants for both that tooth and number 19.

That wisdom has been like that for years; I don't think it could erupt. I'm 49, if that matters.
 
The decay is down well below the gum line. There is no chance of getting it isolated from the oral cavity well enough for a root canal to work. There won't be enough tooth substance left above the gum line when all the decay has been removed for a crown to stay on.
The wisdom tooth can't erupt because it's stuck against the 2nd molar. If the 2nd molar isn't there, then there's a reasonable chance the wisdom tooth will erupt.
 
Back
Top