• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Extraction Booked 24th Jan

A

AlexEssex

Hi All,

I have plucked up the courage to visit the dentist which was absolutely fine as no treatment was carried out (just a checkup). The dentist said that I needed 7 teeth extracted;

2 x upper wisdom teeth roots at gumline, 2 x upper molar roots at gumline 1 x first lower molar at gumline and 2 x upper insisor at gumline

All teeth to be extracted are roots, the dentist said he will do a clean up too. As I said I was really scared of needles and extrememely phobic he did say that I could be referred and have IV sedation but the waiting list is 6 to 12 months. Dentist also said that he could do the extractions himself but it would just involve a local anaestetic which the thought of this really scares me. He asked me how I was with injections, all I could say is that I am fine with normal injections, just terrified of them in the mouth. He ended up persuading me to have them taken out with LA as he could carry out treatment quicker. I also have a lot of tooth aches and by being brave I will finally be able to end these toothaches which is giving me ALOT of pain and so randomly too.

I have an appointment to have the first 2 of 7 teeth out, and the dentist said he will remove 2 at each treatment session. He took x-rays and made me sign something on an ipad. An appointment has been set for 1:30pm on 24th Jan for the first two extractions and Im absolutely terrified. I have been having quite a few and regular nightmares about the injections, I have heard that they are not nice and I am dreading it. But at the same time the treatment is very much needed and I need them pulled sooner rather than later.

Are upper molar injections painful and will it really sting? Ive heard mixed reports and I dont really know what to expect?

Thank you for your support!

Alex

(forgot to mention I am on 40mg of citalopram to help me with anxiety).

I also have a huge phobia of the injections. I had 14 teeth extracted at once so a lot of injections. My dentist gave me 10 mg of Valium prior to the appt and I felt nothing at all. He numbed the gums first. I did not feel even one injection even in the top of my mouth. Let us know how you manage on Jan 24. Good luck you can do this!

Hi, I think you'll be fine.. normally the fear is way worse than the outcome. I took headphones to my last appointment and listened to an album I like (some do audiobooks). I had injections in the top but it wasn't bad, I had numbing gel first, towards the end there was a slight discomfort but nothing I couldn't handle. Just let the dentist know what works, for me it's lots of praise.. makes me sound like a puppy or child(!) but it helps to know I'm doing well.. I guess it counteracts the feelings and thoughts going around my head - I need a little encouragement.
I've had 11 out I think, I've lost count.. I was ok every time. You'll be ok too. Good luck ?

Hi Alex,

well done on getting to the dentist and even scheduling for the extractions! I‘m really glad you will get this done now rather than in so many months with sedation. It sounds like your dentist is very understanding and got an idea about where your fears are so I would expect them to be super careful and make it comfortable for you.

Most people are super scared of injections, but believe me, if you‘re fine with normal needles, you will be super fine with the dental ones. Dentists get taught techniques to administer the anesthetic in a way that is comfortable and sometimes you won‘t even be able to tell when the injection took place. My advice, if you can, is to make sure not to look at the needle. In my experience it is the freakiest part, not the actualy sensation. So looking up high as much as you can to not look at it is the best. When it comes to fear of painful injections, you can read a lot about it here and hopefuly it gives you some peace of mind:

All the best wishes and again, give yourself a HUGE pat on your back for scheduling! :claps:

Thanks for all your replies, much apreciated. Funny enough I am writing this reply with a bit of a tooth ache so I really want to get this sorted now. I will just have to be a brave boy! (Man of 37yrs actually haha). Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I will let you know how I get on vis this thread/post.

Wish me luck ?

Thank you

Hi All, so the 24th finally came and all last night and a few days before I educated my tirelessly on dental injections and there are 2 videos that made me feel so much better and at ease. So as of this morning I felt ready to face the procedure and was very calm. Just as I was laying in bed I received a text and a phone call to say my doctor wasnt well and had to reachedule. I am now booked in/due for my first extraction next Wednesday.

The resources that are really helping me right now are 'good' educational videos on dental injections AND being on a high dose of Citalopram which is an anti-anxiety drug (for anxiety or depression, although im not depressed). As previously mentioned I am having the extractions without IV sedation and local anaesthetic only due to getting the treatment quicker with latter.

I will keep you updated for next Wednesday (the first 2 extractions of 7).

Kind Regards, Alex

Back