• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist did NOT prescribe antibiotics after a root canal treatment??

A

angelac

Hi all,

Just had a root canal done today due to an infected tooth and abscess. However the dentist told me I do not need any antibiotics, and prescribed anti-inflammatory NSAIDs + painkillers instead and said it would be sufficient (I specifically asked if I needed antibiotics). However I am now freaking out because people are telling me that antibiotics are necessary after an root canal due to abscess..Should I call tomorrow to get some?

Thank you,

Angela

I didn’t have antibiotics and I am fine :)

Thanks for your reply :) I am only feeling a little sore and don't even need to take the prescribed pain killers. My dentist did prescribe antiinflammatories so i guess I'll just wait and observe as it is only the second day.

Hi all,

Just had a root canal done today due to an infected tooth and abscess. However the dentist told me I do not need any antibiotics, and prescribed anti-inflammatory NSAIDs + painkillers instead and said it would be sufficient (I specifically asked if I needed antibiotics). However I am now freaking out because people are telling me that antibiotics are necessary after an root canal due to abscess..Should I call tomorrow to get some?

Thank you,

Angela

Antibiotics are usually not prescribed for most dental procedures .

They should only be prescribed when the risk is significant. They are overused!

I didn't have antibiotics - I was all good

Totally agree with the rest of the posters, my dentist informed me antibiotics should only be used in the worse case scenario your actual body should fight any infections or problems naturally, its kind of a last resort if the issue is not going away and the pain is increasing.

I guess its the same with other issues but always consult your dentist or gp first !

Back