• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Did dentist take wrong tooth

  • Thread starter Thread starter klb
  • Start date Start date
K

klb

Junior member
Joined
Sep 30, 2014
Messages
3
Location
Ireland
OK I feel crazy even writing this but I was dragged to the dentist yesterday by a friend who is very fed up of my fear. I developed an abscess on Friday evening now it wasn't sore just very tender it wasn't big but my face was quite swollen. The dentist is a lovely man and I had seen him last year for the same problem to which he gave me antibiotics and I never went back but he wasn't letting me away with that this time he convinced me to have my tooth taken out then and there while I sobbed as it looked like it had drained, so I agreed. He did this without taking new x rays thought and I was so stressed I never noticed yesterday but now tooth next to extraction sight is tender and I feel like he took out the wrong tooth. I can see a tiny white pus head under the tooth am I panicking wrongly or is this how it feels. I dropped by the clinic today and the dental nurse was at the reception desk and when I asked her if it should feel like this she just said it feels odd for about a week let it settle down and see then. Can an abscess be under 2 teeth? Sitting here cryin at the thoughts of seeing him again. Maybe I should just get knocked out and take all my bottom teeth out as this ate the ones that cause all the problems and always have..
 
Last edited:
Take a deep breath klb :there-there: you're just upset is all. Unless all your bottom teeth are a complete and total hot mess or something there's no need to get them pulled. Keep as many teeth as you can! I know you're scared he pulled the wrong tooth but that is highly unlikely. If you're still feeling tender/hurting in that area go back to him in a week and have an X-ray done. Or you could always go to another dentist if you're feeling the urge.

I do personally feel like he should have taken an X-ray before pulling that tooth, but perhaps it was so bad that he felt that was the best option even without an X-ray beforehand.

I'm sorry you're feeling low...I hope things get better. Take a nice hot bath and some Tylenol. :)
 
Please go and get a complete exam with all the needed radiographs.
 
Hi,

I am pretty sure the tooth is tender because of the extraction as the entire area around the extraction site. If indeed the dentist has taken the wrong tooth, most probably the abscess would have flared up.
It sounds like your dentist is a keeper.
How did the extraction go?
 
Thanks all for the replies. Still a bit upset not sore but sorry I let him take the tooth out without an x-ray. How could I have been so silly.. I know of he probably just wanted rid of the crazy crying woman sitting in his chair. Tooth still feels odd and my ear is blocked again which is what happens when I get an abscess so I still think he took the wrong tooth. I don't know what to do I'm missing 3 on the bottom left from when I was pg on child no.2 but that never bothered me but now I'm missing one on the right and possibly 2 now if it was the wrong one. I just know I'd never make it through root canals. Should I look into bottom dentures even though I've heard they never really work.
 
Should I look into bottom dentures even though I've heard they never really work.
A denture that is not being used (because it;s uncomfortable) is a bad denture. An experienced dentist should be able make you a good one. :)
 
Back
Top