• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filled tooth quarter broken off

G

gardsk

Hi all, just after some advice! I have a large filled molar in the back of my mouth and next to it my wisdom tooth is say about 1/2 through. I have had a few pains with it but only one infection which required a antibiotics. Anyway, last night I noticed the back quarter of my molar had broken off on the side of the wisdom tooth. It isn;t too sore, but is pretty sensitive. Could the pressure from my wisdom tooth pushing on it have caused the tooth to crack and what do you think the dentist will do? Appreciate any help or advice as heard bad things about root canals, crowns. :) Sarah

Hi Sarah, I'm not a dental professional, but I have had nearly every procedure done in my mouth at some time in my life (wizzies out under sedation, numerous root canals and crowns, fillings, extractions and deep cleaning). The best advice I can give you is to see your dentist before you lose any more tooth surface. Don't wait for it to start hurting. I've gone through everything and the anticipatory anxiety was so much worse than the actual procedures. Best of luck!!

Hi Sarah,

The sooner you get the tooth addressed the better off you will be. Teeth crack for all sorts of reasons and your dentist will be able to tell you what your options are after he examines the tooth.

Don't let some bad stories about root canals and crowns stop you from going to see your dentist. I can speak from direct experience as this past June I broke the back cusp on a premolar. I went to the dentist right away and he did a root canal and the tooth is waiting to be crowned. I was VERY nervous before the RCT but it was actually easy. Once the tooth is numb the worst part is the boredom and having your mouth open for a long period of time (which can be helped by the use of a bite block).

Believe me, I understand the anxiety but sooner is always better than later when it comes to dealing with your teeth. I've learned that the hard way.

BH

Back