• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finished Root Canal- Taste of Cloves

K

KittyKat

I finished my root canal today. Had a permanent filling put in. During the treatment (towards the end) I smelt cloves and the dentist appeared to be putting something in my tooth that definitely contained clove. I couldn't really taste it immediately after the treatment and didn't ask her about it. I was too worried about my jaw at the time which felt like it was locking up. Now I am back home and the taste is stronger. Having put up with a terrible taste in between root canal treatments which was either down to the temporary filling or the medicated dressing, I now face the prospect of another nasty taste. Is this normal? Will it go away? Does the substance that fills the canals normally taste of this? This whole RCT procedure has been pretty distressing for me, mainly down to the awful tastes I keep getting. I feel like whatever is put in my tooth leaks out into my saliva and I am swallowing it because it burns my throat and gives me acid reflux.

What kind of filling has she replaced it with? I'm not a dentist so can't really answer from that side of things but I remember the temp filling I has on my root canal one tasted like that, it was awful but after a few days it wore off. Never had a permanent one taste that way though.

What kind of filling has she replaced it with? I'm not a dentist so can't really answer from that side of things but I remember the temp filling I has on my root canal one tasted like that, it was awful but after a few days it wore off. Never had a permanent one taste that way though.

It's not the filling. It's whatever she put in it before she did the filling because that's when I smelt it. Pretty sure it's whatever she's filled the canals with. I've done some research and apparently there is something called Pulpdent which contains Eugenol. I think that might be it. Thanks anyway. I just hope this wears off.

Root fillings are done using a material called gutta percha and a paste usually containing eugenol, so that's what you've tasted. It won't last, the root filling is sealed in by the filling material.

Root fillings are done using a material called gutta percha and a paste usually containing eugenol, so that's what you've tasted. It won't last, the root filling is sealed in by the filling material.

Thanks so much for getting back to me about this. I called the dentist this morning to ask about it and they are denying using anything that would cause a taste of cloves. But I know I smelt it during treatment. I know what it smells like and what it tastes like after having it recently due to dry socket. I think I must be very sensitive to anything medicated placed in my teeth. I couldn't find anyone else online who has ever experienced this. What you say makes sense as although it was difficult to see properly I got the impression it was some sort of paste. Hope it goes soon.

Odd that they're denying it? Maybe they don't realise that you meant the root filling material not the filling material.
Main thing is, has the taste gone and is the tooth OK now?

Odd that they're denying it? Maybe they don't realise that you meant the root filling material not the filling material.
Main thing is, has the taste gone and is the tooth OK now?

They specifically said that the root filing material contained nothing that would taste of cloves. I have no idea why they are denying it when I smelled cloves during the procedure. The only thing I can think of is I did ask beforehand if anything was going to be put into my tooth that would cause a bad taste (because the medicated dressing put in between treatments caused a horrid taste) and I was told no. The dentist also knows I do not like the taste of cloves because I could not tolerate the eugenol placed in my dry socket. So I'm guessing she doesn't want to admit she misled me.

I still have the taste although it's diminished somewhat. It's not as bad as the first day and my family can't smell it on my breath anymore. I was even leaving an odour of it in rooms I had been in! I did manage to find one person who had experienced the same thing after a root canal and she told me the taste lasted about five days so hopefully it will go soon.

@KittyKat Hi! I just found this site and your thread after having a root canal today. While I was all hopped up on nitrous, the dentist warned me that I might taste a hint of cloves for a while, from whatever the stuff is that they use to fill in the canal. Didn’t think much of it at the time. But after most of the numbness wore off I tried to eat something and (insert expletive here)….. It’s HORRIBLE. Some of it actually seeped out from under the temporary crown and it even burned on my tongue, like cinnamon gum. I’m very sensitive to smells, but this is overwhelming. Everything tastes like cloves. I happen to hate the smell and taste so this is really awful. I was glad I found this thread. It’s the only thing I’ve found on the web about it which is really weird. I was hoping to find out how long it would last, and 5 days sounds like hell, but I’m just praying it ever goes away at this point! BLEH!!

Hope it goes away soon for you.

Last edited:
Back