• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First LANAP Surgery Done!

P

princessalex76

Hi everyone.

I wanted to share a little about my experience so far with LANAP surgery.

I was diagnosed with periodontal disease a couple months ago. My periodontist said that I had a lot of 4's to 8's. And a few of my teeth are slightly mobile.

I had the surgery last Thursday. Today is my first day back to work. So far so good after 4 days of rest.

I was not put under for the surgery. Most people thought I was crazy but I wasn't put under to have my wisdom teeth extracted either so I assumed I could make it through this. My Dr. gave me 2 valiums to take before the procedure. I took one an hour before the surgery and the other right before. I remember about the first 5 minutes or so. I remember putting on my headphones with my music playing and him starting to numb my mouth. The next thing I remember is the nurse telling me it was done. No idea where the 2 hours in between went. And I don't remember a single song that played. LOL I was very impressed. Worked for me.

The next 4 to 6 hours was a blur also. I remember being helped to the car by the nurse and my husband then I remember my husband putting me to bed. I don't remembe the 45 minute ride home at all.

When I finally did wake up the entire left side of my face was still numb. I have never been that numb in my life. Not even when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. All the numbness didn't go away until the next day.

The pai wasn't too bad. The pain medication I was perscribed is doing it's job. I supplement it with aleve. I am trying to take as littel pain meds as possible. Each day is easier. But my teeth and bones do throb and I am assuming this will continue for a long time while my bones are rejenerating.

As far as food I started the first 2 days on a liquid diet. Then progressed to soft mushy food. I can eat soft breads and tuna. I really do miss my meat though. LOL My husband has already promised as soon as I can eat normally again he is taking me out for a huge steak dinner.

At this point I can only brush the right side of my teeth. That is bugging me to. And I'm rinsing with listerine and salt-water. The listerine really burns the surgery side but I know it's doing it's job. What is really bugging me is the gum-like packing they put on my gums and teeth. I will be so glad to get this stuff off.

I go in to have my other side done at the end of January. But at least this time I will know exactly what to expect.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

This is the current best treatment for periodontal disease where a patient has deep pockets with bone loss.
Much easier than traditional surgery, cheaper, with better results generally and better aesthetics.

Congrats, princessalex76! This is a great step towards a healthier smile, and it sounds like you have a great attitude about it.

Thanks for posting your experience for others to benefit from. So many of us go into our dental journey assuming that it has to be general anesthetic or nothing. But you are further proof of just how painless dental work is these days, even major procedures.

Have a wonderful Christmas, and good luck with your future treatments.

Hello everyone!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Mine was great. Didn't get to enjoy any of my normal Christmas food but I am already planning a late Christmas dinner for when I'm healed. Gotta make up for a lot of eating I haven't been able to do. I tell you what I'm missing is a chunk of meat. My husband is already planning on taking me out for a steak dinner once I'm ready. LOL

Well today is one week post-op on my left side. So far so good. The gum-like packing on my teeth and gums is about to drive me nuts but I keep telling myself it's for the best it has to stay there. Actually it kinda eminds me of when I had braces when I was a teenager. Kinda the funny feeling. That's what I keep thinking that if I was able to make it through 5 years of braces (yes my teeth were horrible way back then) I can make it through this. LOL The pain is not that bad at all now. I am down to maybe one perscription pain pill a day. I supplement that with aleve. Once in a while I will get a pretty bad throbbing in my teeth and bones but I am guessing this is my bone regenerating. Which is a great thing! So I'm not worried. It doesn't happen alot. More at night than during the day. Oh and I have a pretty big lump on the side of my tongue that's aggrivating me. I must have bitten it right after surgery. But it too will heal.

I'm eating a little better now. Still very soft foods. I was able to cook and eat pancakes yesterday. Went pretty good. Everything I am eating I am having to take very small bites, and if I can make it finger food, like pinching off small pieces, the better. Then I can put it in the back of my mouth on my right side to chew. Well not really chew. More like barely squish between my teeth to get it to a consistency enough to swallow. I have listed the soft foods I have tried and work pretty well so far for me below. Hopefully it can give you some ideas for soft foods if you need them.

As far as cleaning this issue is not fun. I don't like the idea of not being able to brush my teeth normally. But I'm brushing the right side of my mouth normally, and flossing. Then the left side I'm taking a q-tip and dipping it in listerine and running it along my teeth and gums, very, very gently, on my left side. Then I rinse with a warm salt water rinse and then follow up with a listerine rinse. I do this twice a day. I also rinse with salt water in between a few times. This seems to be keeping my mouth as clean as I can get it at this point. Still will be glad to get back to normal.

I was looking in a mirror at work the other day and was able to see more details about my teeth. Lighting must be better than at home. But I did notice a teeny tiny hole between my teeth where the laser removed the gum on my front tooth. I mean teeny tiny. I really had to strain to see it so I would say that the aesthetics are a whole lot better than traditional surgery. So I think when all is done I will be very pleased with the looks of my teeth.

I go back for my first check-up on the 9th. This seems longer than normal from what I have seen others post but I guess with the holidays it's longer. I will let everyone know more what I find out at that appointment.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year and I will post again soon!

Soft Foods Ideas:
Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
Tuna Sandwiches
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Tomato Soup
Homemade Vegetable Soup (I let the veggies cook till they were really soft)
Pancakes and Syrup
Scrambled Eggs
Soft Biscuits with Apple Butter and/or Jelly
Hummas with Soft Pita Bread
Ice Cream
Cream of Wheat
Pudding

Hello everyone!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Mine was great. Didn't get to enjoy any of my normal Christmas food but I am already planning a late Christmas dinner for when I'm healed. Gotta make up for a lot of eating I haven't been able to do. I tell you what I'm missing is a chunk of meat. My husband is already planning on taking me out for a steak dinner once I'm ready. LOL

Well today is one week post-op on my left side. So far so good. The gum-like packing on my teeth and gums is about to drive me nuts but I keep telling myself it's for the best it has to stay there. Actually it kinda eminds me of when I had braces when I was a teenager. Kinda the funny feeling. That's what I keep thinking that if I was able to make it through 5 years of braces (yes my teeth were horrible way back then) I can make it through this. LOL The pain is not that bad at all now. I am down to maybe one perscription pain pill a day. I supplement that with aleve. Once in a while I will get a pretty bad throbbing in my teeth and bones but I am guessing this is my bone regenerating. Which is a great thing! So I'm not worried. It doesn't happen alot. More at night than during the day. Oh and I have a pretty big lump on the side of my tongue that's aggrivating me. I must have bitten it right after surgery. But it too will heal.

I'm eating a little better now. Still very soft foods. I was able to cook and eat pancakes yesterday. Went pretty good. Everything I am eating I am having to take very small bites, and if I can make it finger food, like pinching off small pieces, the better. Then I can put it in the back of my mouth on my right side to chew. Well not really chew. More like barely squish between my teeth to get it to a consistency enough to swallow. I have listed the soft foods I have tried and work pretty well so far for me below. Hopefully it can give you some ideas for soft foods if you need them.

As far as cleaning this issue is not fun. I don't like the idea of not being able to brush my teeth normally. But I'm brushing the right side of my mouth normally, and flossing. Then the left side I'm taking a q-tip and dipping it in listerine and running it along my teeth and gums, very, very gently, on my left side. Then I rinse with a warm salt water rinse and then follow up with a listerine rinse. I do this twice a day. I also rinse with salt water in between a few times. This seems to be keeping my mouth as clean as I can get it at this point. Still will be glad to get back to normal.

I was looking in a mirror at work the other day and was able to see more details about my teeth. Lighting must be better than at home. But I did notice a teeny tiny hole between my teeth where the laser removed the gum on my front tooth. I mean teeny tiny. I really had to strain to see it so I would say that the aesthetics are a whole lot better than traditional surgery. So I think when all is done I will be very pleased with the looks of my teeth.

I go back for my first check-up on the 9th. This seems longer than normal from what I have seen others post but I guess with the holidays it's longer. I will let everyone know more what I find out at that appointment.

Soft Foods Ideas:
Tuna Sandwiches
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Tomato Soup
Pancakes and Syrup
Scrambled Eggs
Ice Cream
Cream of Wheat
Pudding

Can you share some information about how you're doing now, 2.5 years later? I am finding a lot of info from people who had just had it done, but not a lot several years down the road. My periodontist recommends it, and it's going to be a huge financial burden for me, but if it will work - I will do it. Thank you in advance for any information and input you can give.

Hello everyone!

Soft Foods Ideas:
Tuna Sandwiches
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Tomato Soup
Pancakes and Syrup
Scrambled Eggs
Ice Cream
Cream of Wheat
Pudding

Do you know if you experiences any bone growth?

Thank you

@princessalex76 How are your gums now? Can you give me an update if LANAP helped you? I'm about to schedule my appointment. Thank you!

Back