• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Heat sensitive tooth- both before and after composite filling

O

Ottosmomma

I had two small fillings done because I had cavities between the two teeth, back molars. according to dentist they were very small and far from the pulp. I was having heat sensitivity only prior to the filling for about a week or so. No cold sensitivity. He said the cavities were so small he didn’t think anything serious was happening. When he went to drill he still said they were quite small. Anyways, now it’s 1.5 weeks later and I still have a similar heat sensitivity. The reaction lasts a bit longer then 15 seconds, maybe 30 seconds after the source if heat goes away. It isn’t -super- painful and it doesn’t throb, but it also is very much a pain feeling. Between those two teeth where the fillings were done I have always, for years, had a gum pocket that never required surgery but was an area to watch. However I don’t recall this area ever hurting from hot. Just basically wondering how long to wait and see if this pain subsides. It is only with hot and only lasts about 30 seconds. I realize hot can sometimes mean the nerve is badly affected but my dentist didn’t seem to think so in my case.

if it's still painful then I'd get in touch with your dentist. Amalgam fillings can settle down with time but composite generally doesn't.

if it's still painful then I'd get in touch with your dentist. Amalgam fillings can settle down with time but composite generally doesn't.

Yeah it’s definitely not amalgam. Do you think the nerve could be so damaged even though the filling and cavity was so small?

It's not likely. Bit of a guess without seeing you though :)

It's not likely. Bit of a guess without seeing you though :)

Fair enough :)
I called the dentist and he thinks post op sensitivity 1.5 weeks is normal still

Back