• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

hello everyone, i have a prob, im terrifed of needles

S

scifiemz

hello everyone, i have a prob, im terrified of needles and because of this Ive had a very badly broken tooth since July.
the back story in July I went to see my other half's dentist as mine wasn't being all they could be and I asked to be put throw community dental, she didn't want to and got a bit nasty about as was running late, (not my fault), CD seemed a vg idea bit of gas and air prob fixed right, only thing is its taken ages to get a appointment its not till oct and since then my tooth has broken more, I phoned them told them it hurt and needed to see some one now (this was in august) and they said they didn't do emergency's so I needed to wait. after a few weeks I went back to my dentist ,told them I had a broken tooth that hurt, there reply '' so you want it pulling out.'' no oddly I don't, i'll wait. Next dentist tooth hurting worse by this stage I told them I was phobic , fine im told, we can deal with that( and on there web page it said they had the wand) I got to my appointment and the lady again tries to pull out my tooth and tell me '' you chose to be phobic.'' WHAT. next appointment in Ipswich , he takes one look at the paper work sees that in our crazy hot summer I had got dizzy twice and wont treat me, wants to send me to Romford, I cant get there that's the end of that one. 4th dentist wants to do a crown yippy!! only thing is he says it takes 4 treatment FOUR I cant stand needles how will I survive that? ''don't worry we use very thin needles.'' cant see how this is going to help if your scared of flying being told your not going in a passenger plane but a two seater isn't going to help is it? he then went on to show me the needle so I screamed. I cant believe ive seen 5 dentist since July and still have a broken tooth, my community dentist appoint is now about three weeks away and have been told that they too only pull out teeth ( I do acting so don't want to loss a tooth else will have to quite) and that they have a 16 week waiting list anyway. I'm felling a bit green with worry so haven't been eating right since Sep and now finding it hard to sleep too, as all I can see when I close my eyes is a guy in white coat offering to pull my teeth out, ive also stopped doing a lot of fun things as am worried people will just look at my tooth. I want to cry.

Scifimz,

Sounds like a very difficult time finding care you feel comfortable with what they will do and how they will do it. Sounds it has been a bit draining to say the least. I really hope you can get in somewhere soon and somewhere you can feel comfortable with. Its hard with the needle phobia, and unrelenting pain. :frantic: :confused: . I'm not sure what else to say than this is a good place to vent and people understand your phobia. I also was greatly afraid of needles. The good thing with dental nowadays is many dentists can to painfree injections where if you can somehow get your mind and body in a relaxed enough state to try it.. you might find you wouldn't even know you just had a needle..I've had many times I've closed my eyes and asked when they would do it and they said they were done already.. and I was a bit shocked how they could give me a needle without me even knowing.. (with eyes closed.. I find that it really helps me not to look ).

Ansyways, we are all different. but I really hope you find some good care and relief soon.

Scifimz,

Sounds like a very difficult time finding care you feel comfortable with what they will do and how they will do it. Sounds it has been a bit draining to say the least. I really hope you can get in somewhere soon and somewhere you can feel comfortable with. Its hard with the needle phobia, and unrelenting pain. :frantic: :confused: . I'm not sure what else to say than this is a good place to vent and people understand your phobia. I also was greatly afraid of needles. The good thing with dental nowadays is many dentists can to painfree injections where if you can somehow get your mind and body in a relaxed enough state to try it.. you might find you wouldn't even know you just had a needle..I've had many times I've closed my eyes and asked when they would do it and they said they were done already.. and I was a bit shocked how they could give me a needle without me even knowing.. (with eyes closed.. I find that it really helps me not to look ).

Ansyways, we are all different. but I really hope you find some good care and relief soon.

I think you mean the wand? sadly there is very very few dentist around here that use it, I tried one place that was meant to, to be told '' oh that's not for you.'' no idea what that was all about but she was also the one who told me having a phobia was completely my own choice ( totally mad) . had a call today from a dentist inviting me to try them, not sure if I can bring my self to after the last month. :( thank you for your kindness xxx

Actually I do not mean the wand for the painless injections.. I'm in the US and it seems I have only run into one practice in my years that has used the wand here but they had it but didn't use it. The painless injections I am talking of are regular dental needles. Just going at a very slow pace with intention and technique.

she was also the one who told me having a phobia was completely my own choice ( totally mad) . had a call today from a dentist inviting me to try them

That would make me really put off too what she said.... Have you shared much of your phobia and anxiety with the dentist office that called? hope its a good sign they cared to call and might be an option..

Would it be possible for you to have this done under sedation? You won't feel or be aware of anything!

Its definitely possible to have painless injections without a wand. I just had a crown appointment yesterday and they had a hygienist do my numbing since the dentist was running late with another patient. First they put a q-tip covered with topical numbing on the inside of my cheek. After a few minutes, the hygienist explained that in dentistry they go very slow with the injection so nothing is felt, so it might seem a bit slow compared to getting a numbing shot for stitches or whatever. She pinched my cheek and explained everything and I honestly didn't feel a thing!! It was the most gentle, caring injection I've ever received. I don't have a needle phobia, but I made it very clear that I was suuuuuper anxious about simply being there so she must have assumed that I was also anxious about the injection.
Do you think you could tolerate something like that, or is it just knowing a needle is going into your mouth? Do you think you could try nitrous or some other type of sedative?
I know how overwhelming and how "life consuming" a bad tooth can be and the anxiety about getting it treated. Please keep us updated- we are all rooting for you!!

Its definitely possible to have painless injections without a wand. I just had a crown appointment yesterday and they had a hygienist do my numbing since the dentist was running late with another patient. First they put a q-tip covered with topical numbing on the inside of my cheek. After a few minutes, the hygienist explained that in dentistry they go very slow with the injection so nothing is felt, so it might seem a bit slow compared to getting a numbing shot for stitches or whatever. She pinched my cheek and explained everything and I honestly didn't feel a thing!! It was the most gentle, caring injection I've ever received. I don't have a needle phobia, but I made it very clear that I was suuuuuper anxious about simply being there so she must have assumed that I was also anxious about the injection.
Do you think you could tolerate something like that, or is it just knowing a needle is going into your mouth? Do you think you could try nitrous or some other type of sedative?
I know how overwhelming and how "life consuming" a bad tooth can be and the anxiety about getting it treated. Please keep us updated- we are all rooting for you!!

thank you your kind-ness is really wonderful ( ive had a dentist in the past tell me that '' its only you who act like this, no one else'' so its great to find out that its not just me) I hate needles and have been told everything from '' don't look.'' to '' it doesn't hurt.'' as you can guess it didn't help, as soon as I feel it I flip. not sure if any other sort of sedative will work, all have needles of some sort, I've said I want gas and air to be told that it just wont work for people like me ( not helpful) as ive stuck totally stuck, the fear is just taking over, eating makes me feel sick and I cant go out as everyone looks at me and I want to howl and hide. when I do go out I keep my mouth closed and put on a brave face :(

Would it be possible for you to have this done under sedation? You won't feel or be aware of anything!

sadly all sedation has needles ( or from what ive been told) so the terror is only a question of how big, there seems to be no treatment that doesn't the dentist wanting or having to scare the life out of me :(

she was also the one who told me having a phobia was completely my own choice ( totally mad) . had a call today from a dentist inviting me to try them

That would make me really put off too what she said.... Have you shared much of your phobia and anxiety with the dentist office that called? hope its a good sign they cared to call and might be an option..

they are the local NHS dental anxiety clinic and trust me from the phone call yesterday I don't think they will be in any question of just how I feel about it ( no grown up cries like that with out a very good reason and scared witless is one of them ) she told me she would put how I feel on my file, and on paper they seem like a good option , but and its a big but they have a MASSIVE waiting list, I was put on the list in july now seeing them for a look not treatment ive been told that the wait can be up to 16 weeks( but the lady who phoned yesterday said that was untrue, but who to believe?) in want this over with not a few months wait, I cant sleep properly at the moment, and the fear is making me feel sick when eating, im cancelling things all over the place as cant stand people to look at me or take photos and im so tearful which really isn't me at all . I need this finished with so I can my life back :(

I have had a needle phobia since I was a kid, and had a horrible experience in the dentists chair, not once or twice, but numerous times. The dentist was a friend of my parents, and was not good with shots. I screamed through every one, and had to be restrained at some points.

As an adult, I had to get blood drawn and still shake somewhat, but it isn't as bad. I still have a pretty big fear of dental needles, though. I have found that using nitrous (laughing gas) does help. It does not take away all the pain but dulls it, and helps you to be more relaxed. Being tense definitely makes the shots worse. My oral surgeon knows I have a terrible fear of the shots, and he waits until the nitrous has taken effect before he gives the shots, and then he talks to me to distract me while giving them. I have found that it isn't nearly as bad as it was when I was a kid. Things have improved since then.

( ive had a dentist in the past tell me that '' its only you who act like this, no one else'' so its great to find out that its not just me)

thats ridiculous for them to say something like that to you :( I think most people keep their dental anxieties to themselves. I "came out" to a group of close friends several years ago because I needed some moral support and I was really surprised to hear that one of my friends hasn't seen a dentist in over a decade because she's too afraid and another friend told me that she saves up for IV sedation for any work that needs to be done. I had NO idea and I chat with them weekly! My husband has dental anxiety too- sometimes I think his is worse than mine, but he's the type who doesn't want to talk about it. If I didn't schedule cleanings for him, he would never go. Its awful that the dentist made you feel like you're different or weird in some way with your needle fears. You are not alone!

Here in the states, dentists can offer an anxiety type pill that you take before your appointment. Perhaps someone here knows more? It could help get you there and take the edge off.

I know how teeth can become center stage in our lives and all the negative self talk that can happen. Please be kind to yourself and keep us updated. I hope you can get an appointment soon and can move on with life xx

Back