• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help, getting full dentures and am terrified.

E

Emmlet2020

Hi all (newbie here) OK, so I'm 42 and just been reffered to get full dentures. I have researched everything lol and my dentist has talked me through everything to expect. It sounds horrific, not so much having all my teeth out but life in general with false teeth. I won't be able to eat properly and will be in pain for months by the sounds of it. He also told me that my temporary ones will be rubbish as they won't fit properly. He advised me to go without temps for 6 weeks and then get some teeth fitted as they will fit better. But I have read that gums can move for a good year after having all teeth extracted and I can't go that long with no teeth? Even 6 weeks, I would be so self conscious. I'm expecting the absolute worse. Just would be nice to hear I'm not the only one and you can get through this. Thanks all for reading. X

Hi Emmlet - you are definitely not the only one and yes, you can get through this. It’s very scary hearing about all the things that are going to happen but everyone is different, so one person’s experience may not be what you experience. Personally life for me is so much better with dentures. I won’t lie and tell you it’s easy and no big deal, but you can do it. Once your gums heal from the extractions you won’t generally be in pain anymore. For me it was about a week or two of sore gums. You should be able to manage with the temporary set - it will mainly take practice.

Thank you so much for your reply. X

Hi Emmlet2020 :welcome:,

you have go a lovely reply from @BoxerMom and I haven't much to add, but wanted to share a nice quote from @Gordon, one of our forum dentists (the original post is here):

"... probably the worst one was a 14 year old girl who had literally only black stumps left of all her teeth. We worked out she was getting through 5 2.5 litre bottles of Irn Bru and Cola every single day...

I had no option but to extract all of her teeth and get her into false teeth. She then gave up all the fizzy crap, lost about 2 stones right away and by the time we were all finished with her teeth she was a totally different young lady, better dressed, nice hair do and generally taking care of her appearance.

When I saw her again a couple of years later she was almost unrecognisable, in a good way! So self confident and happy with herself.

So even losing all your teeth isn't necessarily the worst thing that can happen :) "

Hope this gives you some hope. Things may look so scary for you right now, but chances are, that you will be really happy once you have your dentures. At any case, we are here to support you as you go through your journey!
:grouphug:

That's truly lovely. Thank you so much. I'm so glad I found this forum, idle searching on the Internet has been so negative. It's amazing to hear some positives. X

I only had very mild pain for several days after the extractions, and then no pain at all in the past 3 years since my extractions. I went without any teeth at all for almost a year, but I don't think that anyone knew, because I had learned to speak well with my mouth in an almost-closed position, never wanting anyone to see my ugly teeth before dentures. Most people though, prefer a temporary set, so if you don't want to be without teeth, you should let your dentist know that. I am so happy that I took the step to make my mouth healthy and beautiful again, and honestly wish that I'd done it years sooner! It does take some practise to eat with dentures at first, but not as long as you may think. I honestly can't think of anything that I can't eat now. Good luck with your journey, and I'm glad that your google search led you here.

Hi Emmlet, I know how you feel having been through a similar experience myself. Over the past two months I plucked up the courage after 30 years to go to the dentist, I knew dentures would be my eventual destination so I made peace with that a long time ago. I have had a deep clean and 7 top extractions and this week I picked up my top denture. I went without for 3 weeks (thank goodness for masks and working from home more often !). After the extractions I had no pain - just a little sore, it was a shock I have to admit and I didn't look because I really didn't want to. Although I have only had it for a few days it has been absolutely fine, my cheek is just a bit sore because the wire needs tweaking I think and I haven't quite got the courage to bite down on food properly yet but I know I will get there. I have to go through it all again with my bottom ones next year but for me I am so glad my horrible teeth are out :) Best of luck to you.

Hi all (newbie here) OK, so I'm 42 and just been reffered to get full dentures. I have researched everything lol and my dentist has talked me through everything to expect. It sounds horrific, not so much having all my teeth out but life in general with false teeth. I won't be able to eat properly and will be in pain for months by the sounds of it. He also told me that my temporary ones will be rubbish as they won't fit properly. He advised me to go without temps for 6 weeks and then get some teeth fitted as they will fit better. But I have read that gums can move for a good year after having all teeth extracted and I can't go that long with no teeth? Even 6 weeks, I would be so self conscious. I'm expecting the absolute worse. Just would be nice to hear I'm not the only one and you can get through this. Thanks all for reading. X
Doesn't sound very professional of him to say the temps will be rubbish. I had mine extracted in 2013 Its been 7yrs without teeth (not through choice) trust me 6wks is not a long time and right now everyone's wearing masks so they aren't going to notice. I know it may sound horrific (personally I didn't want to know the details) but everyone is different+it might not be as bad as you think. Good luck!

I really appreciate all of your comments guys. It's nice to know that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Will be expecting the worse but with the hope of a better life and hopefully a pain free one eventually. Big hugs and thanks to you all. Will be updating as my journey progresses xx

Do you have an actual appointment date yet? my next appointment isn't till mid Jan which just seems like forever away (10mth gap due to the obvious) but new year new place.

Do you have an actual appointment date yet? my next appointment isn't till mid Jan which just seems like forever away (10mth gap due to the obvious) but new year new place.
I just had my appointment to get reffered for teeth to be pulled etc. I now have to wait for the hospital to send an appointment and explain the procedure. I'm guessing it will be done in stages rather than all being pulled at once? Don't really know. Am hoping it won't be too long but I also have to get the fee together for it all. Just have to wait in anticipation. ?

I just had my appointment to get reffered for teeth to be pulled etc. I now have to wait for the hospital to send an appointment and explain the procedure. I'm guessing it will be done in stages rather than all being pulled at once? Don't really know. Am hoping it won't be too long but I also have to get the fee together for it all. Just have to wait in anticipation. ?
Are you nhs or private? Not necessarily mine were done in one go (i had G.A) hope you get an appointment soon but might be a while the way things are at the mo.

Are you nhs or private? Not necessarily mine were done in one go (i had G.A) hope you get an appointment soon but might be a while the way things are at the mo.
I'm nhs but still going to cost best part of £600.
I'm expecting to be waiting at least 2/3 months for my hospital letter. Maybey longer. But at least things are moving.

Doesn't sound very professional of him to say the temps will be rubbish. I had mine extracted in 2013 Its been 7yrs without teeth (not through choice) trust me 6wks is not a long time and right now everyone's wearing masks so they aren't going to notice. I know it may sound horrific (personally I didn't want to know the details) but everyone is different+it might not be as bad as you think. Good luck!
I have never heard of not wearing the immediates. They put them in right after extractions.

I have never heard of not wearing the immediates. They put them in right after extractions.
There were no immediates,the gums have to heal just wasn't expecting to wait this long.

Am nhs hun. Apparently the hospital won't do it there as I'm not classed an an emergency (all to do with covid). The wait is so long my dentist has suggested doing it there in stages. I have agreed.
Got my first appointment for extractions in May. And will be going every other week until they're all out. I'm not to worried about the extractions as such, but now it is all feeling real and in a few months I will have no teeth just dentures.
That's what scares me. I'm havi g nightmares about being in public and my teeth come flying out lol.
Cant believe I'm only 42 and it has come to this. ?
My own fault, years of smoking and not going to the dentist. But I'm just so scared of what is to come x

Back