• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

help help! I need some urgent treatment

B

bekki

Hi all,

I have a tooth (visible when i smile/laugh) that needs some urgent treatment. It already has a filling, but there is definately something wrong. I have had severe pain for 2 days and it feel just odd in my mouth and like it could drop out any second. I also seem to clench my jaw at night when sleeping which is not helping. (no grinding just clenched jaw but I wake up in pain with it)
I don't have a dentist so am waiting on my local one which is apparently lovely reopening in 20 mins then phoning. I've managed to convince myself that I will need three teeth out :( Terrified, mostly of having them out and no replacement - would I get an immediate, if temporary replacement? Argh! Help! :shame:

Hi bekki and welcome.

Relax you don't know what needs to be done wait and see what dentist will tell you. It is probably
not bad as you think. Even in worst case scenario there are brigades,crowns and all other procedures.

Right now you go to address that pain first. If you like that dentist then set next appointment for proper check
up and get x ray. He will then be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done.

Don't fear you won't get 3 extracted so fast. lets consider that worse case scenario.

If you have to get 3 out then dentist will make a plan and give you options. There is no need to do it right
away so you can be at ease about that.

I really doubt it will come to that. We had many people come here and expect that outcome and all
they have done is just few fixes. So I'm positive about this.

Thank you! It's not been right for ages, I can't bite with it, but over the last few days it's got far worse :( I can see it's not in great shape, although not too bad visually. Will they be able to sort my pain quite quickly? It's getting unbearable, more because it's constant than the severity, although it is quite bad. Thank you x

3 weeks till they can see me! :( I phoned 111 and they've referred me to some clinic who will call within 12 hours. I'm in massive pain and discomfort and quite terrified! argh!

Yeah dentist should be able to take care of your pain. If he puts medicine in your tooth it might react but simple
brufen can take care of that so no worries.

Thank you. The emergency care place just called and they have got me an appointment locally tomorrow afternoon. I still feel really really concerned that it's just going to somehow fall out :o

Thank you. The emergency care place just called and they have got me an appointment locally tomorrow afternoon. I still feel really really concerned that it's just going to somehow fall out :o

Hi there! Just caught up with your thread :) I'm guessing you're in the UK like me with phoning 111? In my experience, emergency dentists are normally quite good at dealing with people that are anxious. Sounds like you could have an infection with the severe pain you're describing. Normally, in the UK, they will fight to keep the tooth in your mouth, especially if it's at the front, so I wouldn't be panicking yourself at the thought of an extraction :) With the pain, they'll deal with that immediately. They won't be sending you home in pain. Once, I had to go to the hospital short notice without calling because I was in so much agony that I was actually trying to wiggle the tooth out myself (stupid, I know!) and the emergency dentist wasn't there, but as soon as I got home, my mum got a call that the dentist had gotten my message and I was to go right back up to the emergency department. He sorted the pain and I went back home happy! :jump:As what's been said before, try not to think about the worst case scenario, because it's rarely what's actually going to happen. I hope you're out of pain very soon ;D Let us know how you get on :XXLhug:

:Also, have you been taking any painkillers for this?

Hello! I am UK yes :) it s so much worse than this afternoon now! Dear God it hurts! My entire mouth I'd in agony and my face is puffy so definitely an infection. My appt is 1.30 tomorrow, got zero Work done today because it's just agony. Bf got my oragel which is great but wearing off fast. Swishing whisky around! Tried painkillers but not touching it. I'm so nervous, my main concern is that they will take them out with no replacement! Also the pain, as its currently so awful I can't imagine someone actually touching it! I should have got this tooth sorted 2 years ago so it's my own fault :( thankyou for sharing your experience, the dentist has some really good reviews so fingers crossed!!

Hello! I am UK yes :) it s so much worse than this afternoon now! Dear God it hurts! My entire mouth I'd in agony and my face is puffy so definitely an infection. My appt is 1.30 tomorrow, got zero Work done today because it's just agony. Bf got my oragel which is great but wearing off fast. Swishing whisky around! Tried painkillers but not touching it. I'm so nervous, my main concern is that they will take them out with no replacement! Also the pain, as its currently so awful I can't imagine someone actually touching it! I should have got this tooth sorted 2 years ago so it's my own fault :( thankyou for sharing your experience, the dentist has some really good reviews so fingers crossed!!

Hi again, toothache is definitely the worst pain to go through! Yeah, oragal is like that, kind of sucks because it wears off so fast. I'm trying to think of things that I used to do when I had the toothache like this. It's not anyone's fault, please don't blame yourself for being in pain. I used to alternate between ibuprofen and paracetamol, or even cocodamol when it was quite bad. I always used to find when I was in the waiting room to see the dentist, the toothache would disappear because I would get so nervous! :giggle: They won't just take your teeth out, please don't be freaking yourself out thinking that. Hopefully the dentist you see will get you out of pain asap, and you'll be able to think straight without that awful throbbing in your mouth!

Hi again, toothache is definitely the worst pain to go through! Yeah, oragal is like that, kind of sucks because it wears off so fast. I'm trying to think of things that I used to do when I had the toothache like this. It's not anyone's fault, please don't blame yourself for being in pain. I used to alternate between ibuprofen and paracetamol, or even cocodamol when it was quite bad. I always used to find when I was in the waiting room to see the dentist, the toothache would disappear because I would get so nervous! :giggle: They won't just take your teeth out, please don't be freaking yourself out thinking that. Hopefully the dentist you see will get you out of pain asap, and you'll be able to think straight without that awful throbbing in your mouth!

Thankyou! I just had half an hour pain free them it was back with an absolute vengeance... My whole left side of my face hurts! Everyone I've spoken to has basically said they'll take out the tooth and give me a creep replacement which isn't filling me with confidence so thankyou! I am just desperate for the pain to stop, my face is puffy but not hugely so and it's complete agony, all over my mouth and face. At least this situation has forced me into setting a dentist I suppose but I really hope the tooth is salvageable. I darent poke it too much but it doesn't seem wobbly and it seems ok from the front so fiangers crossed...

Thankyou! I just had half an hour pain free them it was back with an absolute vengeance... My whole left side of my face hurts! Everyone I've spoken to has basically said they'll take out the tooth and give me a creep replacement which isn't filling me with confidence so thankyou! I am just desperate for the pain to stop, my face is puffy but not hugely so and it's complete agony, all over my mouth and face. At least this situation has forced me into setting a dentist I suppose but I really hope the tooth is salvageable. I darent poke it too much but it doesn't seem wobbly and it seems ok from the front so fiangers crossed...

You'll be fine! Have these people you've spoken to been dentists? Most of us here have suffered with toothaches longer than we needed to, and eventually there comes a time when the pain gets so overwhelming we're left with little choice but to see a dentist. It is good to be going to the dentist, because they're the ones that have the power to help you get out of pain :) Dentists are amazing at saving teeth!, my front lateral incisor was so badly decayed that when he finished drilling, there was very little tooth structure left. I got a post put into it, then it was filled and shaped. It looks totally normal now! :jump:

I've also had agonizing toothaches and still have all my teeth!

Hi Bekki

Sorry to hear you are having this issue, tooth ache is probably the worst pain to put up with, generally nowadays the absolute last resort is to take a tooth out so fingers crossed it is treatable, I've just had a similar issue that has been root treated and is still there (minus the pain now ;))

Fingers crossed everything goes well for you, please keep us informed how you get on.

Kind Regards

Thanks everyone! It's not to bad this morning, but it's been like this first thing, it's starting to throb bit now lol. V nervous, thankyou for all your replies... I'm hoping it just needs antibiotics and a new filling. I feel an idiot for leaving it for so long as the tooth hasn't been right for a long time, but hopefully it will be sorted soon. I will be a wreck by the time I get to appointment!

Hi all, just an update. My dentist was amazing and very understanding so I will definitely be registering with him. He told me it's not the tooth I thought but the one behind it which is problematic. He xrayed it and he said it's an unusually small tooth and quite badly affected. There is an infection so I have anti biotics. He cleaned it up and gave me a temporary filling and I have to go back in a few weeks. He said most dentists would pull it but he might be able to save it and he will try but if it has to come out he will give me a bridge and no-one will be able to see it much anyway. It is a top tooth, 5th from the front so quite far back. Far from a nice experience but glad I'm getting it done at last!!!

Yay!!! So glad that you were able to get through the appt and that it was, overall, a positive experience. Keep up the great work!

Excellent, well done you:jump::jump:

glad it was a (reasonably) positive experience for you and your dentist sounds like a "keeper" It's good he will try to save the tooth as I said, extraction is always a last resort.

i know exactly what that sort of pain is like as I've recently had a similar issue with one of my upper teeth, my dentist did an amazing job of a Root Canal and it was completely painless and easy, hoping yours will go the same.

Please continue to post about your experience as it helps everybody on here :)

kind Regards

Back