The last appointment I had was in 1974! I have been to the dentist twice after that due to needing to have a molar pulled one time and two molars the other. My fear started when I was 8 years old...I fell on a slide and shattered my front tooth. Being we were from a small town I saw the towns only dentest who must have been around 70 years old. I remember him giving me shots which hurt like hell. My next bad experience came when I was 14. I remember the dentist actually hitting me and yelling at me! He had given me gas and novacaine, and I still felt the drilling. He gave me a shot (in the arm) what I am sure was demerol, without notifying my mother in the waiting room. Since I was kind of drugged up my mom thought I was imagining the hitting. Turned out this dentist was later arrested for child abuse for doing the same thing to another child. Luckily he has lost his license. I wonder how many other people he scarred for life....