• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I Need Help - Appointment Tomorrow

  • Thread starter Thread starter JJones86
  • Start date Start date
JJones86

JJones86

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 23, 2015
Messages
486
Location
New Mexico, USA
Hi all.

I really need help here. I just found out that my deep cleaning is going to be tomorrow, Tuesday morning at 11:30 am. I'm panicking here. I'm going to have the nitrous oxide, but I'm really scared. I've never had this done before and the idea of it terrifies me.

I'm so nervous, anxious and fearful.

I need support please.

How am I going to get through this?

JJ
 
Last edited:
Hey, you'll get through this! You know you can do it :hug:

Remember this dentist and his staff are all really good, they will take good care of you and let you have breaks as often as you need. Think of it as an opportunity to have another positive dental experience to help that process of building trust.

It can also help to break it down into steps and take one at at time - so for now, just aim to get to the appointment, then you can take it from there. One step at a time.

I've never had nitrous so can't help you with that, but I'm sure somebody will be along soon enough...
 
Hey, you'll get through this! You know you can do it :hug:

Remember this dentist and his staff are all really good, they will take good care of you and let you have breaks as often as you need. Think of it as an opportunity to have another positive dental experience to help that process of building trust.

It can also help to break it down into steps and take one at at time - so for now, just aim to get to the appointment, then you can take it from there. One step at a time.

I've never had nitrous so can't help you with that, but I'm sure somebody will be along soon enough...


Hi Tink.

Thank you for your reply and support.

I'm just so anxious, nervous and fearful right now. I'm almost in tears just thinking about it. That's how stressed out these things make me.

I know what you mean. I'm starting to get to know the staff. I probably drove them crazy today because I spoke to them about 3 times, on the phone, because I kept forgetting questions I had. I always forget things when I'm nervous.

I'm going to ask them to break it into steps tomorrow. It'll be good for me to do it like that as you say. Step 1 is getting to the appointment. Step 2 waiting in the waiting room and so forth.

I just can't control my emotions right now. I'm really terrified.

JJ
 
Last edited:
Good luck ssocea, try to take everything one step at a time and ask for scheduled breaks - that's what my dentist does for me, he counts 1,2,3 and then stops for a second so I can catch my breath as for some reason I hold my breath when he works on my teeth but I have been getting better. I also have a rinse break every 5 minutes where I can sit up fully and calm down. It makes me feel better knowing there is a pause coming up as I freeze up and can never raise my hand.

I've had 2 deep cleans now (we agreed to chop mine up into 4 sections of 30 minutes as I couldn't cope with 2 hours at once) and both have gone ok so far, certainly not had any pain at all but have been dreadfully nervous.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you
 
Good luck ssocea, try to take everything one step at a time and ask for scheduled breaks - that's what my dentist does for me, he counts 1,2,3 and then stops for a second so I can catch my breath as for some reason I hold my breath when he works on my teeth but I have been getting better. I also have a rinse break every 5 minutes where I can sit up fully and calm down. It makes me feel better knowing there is a pause coming up as I freeze up and can never raise my hand.

I've had 2 deep cleans now (we agreed to chop mine up into 4 sections of 30 minutes as I couldn't cope with 2 hours at once) and both have gone ok so far, certainly not had any pain at all but have been dreadfully nervous.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you


Hi.

Thank you for your reply and support.

Shorter appointments actually make me more nervous. That's why I chose to have the 2 hour appointment. They said the cleaning should take about 1 1/2 hours, but with my phobia and needing breaks, I asked for more time.

I'm having the nitrous oxide today. Have you ever tried it? I'm having a hard time finding people with experience with it.

Thanks.

JJ
 
Hi all.

A quick update here. I'm about to leave the house in 40 minutes.

I'm such a nervous wreck right now. I wish I could get my emotions under control.

I'm going to the orthodontist first to get my wires taken off my braces. Then I'll head over to the dentist's office for about 2 hours for my deep cleaning appointment. Then I have to go back to the orthodontist to have them put my wires back on.

I'm not coping right now. I wish I could settle my mind.

Thanks again for all of your replies and support. I'll post an update when I get back.

JJ
 
Last edited:
Good luck! Hope all goes well
 
Hi all.

I'm feeling relieved right now. Just got back from my dentist's appointment for my deep cleaning. I'm having a little gum tenderness and soreness, but this is normal and to be expected.

The hygienist showed me before and after pictures after we'd finished. I can't believe it. My teeth went from yellow to a shiny white. They look like they're brand new again. My gums went from a puffy red to a healthy pink. This was all just from one appointment.

I had the nitrous oxide even though I paid out of pocket. That stuff works miracles. I went from an anxious, nervous, fearful mess to completely relaxed. Honestly it feels like you've had too much to drink, but my anxiety was gone in just a few minutes. The hygienist told me that the procedure actually took 2 1/2 hours instead of two like we though it'd be. I couldn't believe it though, because it only felt like 15 - 20 minutes. I guess the nitrous makes you lose sense of time temporarily and they said that's how it is for some people.

I'm just so glad I went. That appointment prevented me from getting periodontal disease, which is irreversible and causes lots of problems.

Thank you all for your support.

JJ
 
Well done! So glad it went well for you, it is a really good feeling to see the results too. Hopefully this will help alleviate your anxiety for next time - I find I still shake like a leaf and I've had 2 visits so far but I've noticed that the anxiety comes on at a later point and I calm down quicker once there.

But for now give yourself a pat on the back - you got through a marathon of a session there and got a whole lot of work done successfully - very well done.
 
Well done ssocea! :jump:

So glad to hear it went well! I knew you could do it ;D
 
Back
Top