• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I survived my appointment!!! So relieved and proud of myself.

J

jbkb

So, I had an extraction about a year ago and have avoided the dentist since, lately because I've been dealing with a horrendous break up (escaping a toxic relationship). My self esteem has gone through the floor.

I went to my check up today and survived! I was early so had to wait around while the nerves got worse and worse. I sweat when I'm nervous :/ My friend texted me to say good luck and said 'you can do this!', which made me start crying, then I went in and told the dentist (who is super lovely) about having had a bad break up, which made me blush - so I was bright red, sweaty and crying to begin with, it was pretty mortifying!!

However my dentist was amazing and very sweet. She let me sit and calm down before I got in the chair. She even (kindly) said how I had gotten through both an extraction and two fillings with her before, and that was really great, and that I could do it again (get through a check up).

She took a look and said not only had my extraction site healed 'perfectly', but that my mouth is super healthy and no need for any treatments at the moment. I am SO RELIEVED.

I do have a chipped tooth which can be fixed if I wish, an old metal filling that can be replaced with a white filling; I can also consider a hygienist appointment to get rid of a few bits of stubborn plaque. And we talked through me getting an implant to fill my gap (it's not visible but makes it a little harder to eat - it's the first lower molar).

I decided while I feel confident, to book the hygienist. I'm going in two weeks. I've also decided to go for it and start arranging the implant once I get back from my holiday next month. Hopefully I won't chicken out of that.

I built this up to be HUGE in my head. I couldn't sleep last night and nearly considered cancelling the appointment (and paying the fee, whatever) whilst on my way there this morning. I feel honestly lightheaded with relief.

If you are putting off going - please go. It really may not be as bad as you think. What you imagine, and the constant worry, is almost always much worse.

I know it is easy to say, when you've done it and don't need any treatment. But last time I did this (made a long overdue appointment), I didn't get the all clear: I needed two fillings and an extraction. But I got through it. The feeling of taking control of your health and of facing your fears is actually really empowering. It's lifted my somewhat damaged self esteem.

Thank you to those who commented on my previous anxious post. I wish positive experiences to all of us *hugs*

So, I had an extraction about a year ago and have avoided the dentist since, lately because I've been dealing with a horrendous break up (escaping a toxic relationship). My self esteem has gone through the floor.

I went to my check up today and survived! I was early so had to wait around while the nerves got worse and worse. I sweat when I'm nervous :/ My friend texted me to say good luck and said 'you can do this!', which made me start crying, then I went in and told the dentist (who is super lovely) about having had a bad break up, which made me blush - so I was bright red, sweaty and crying to begin with, it was pretty mortifying!!

However my dentist was amazing and very sweet. She let me sit and calm down before I got in the chair. She even (kindly) said how I had gotten through both an extraction and two fillings with her before, and that was really great, and that I could do it again (get through a check up).

She took a look and said not only had my extraction site healed 'perfectly', but that my mouth is super healthy and no need for any treatments at the moment. I am SO RELIEVED.

I do have a chipped tooth which can be fixed if I wish, an old metal filling that can be replaced with a white filling; I can also consider a hygienist appointment to get rid of a few bits of stubborn plaque. And we talked through me getting an implant to fill my gap (it's not visible but makes it a little harder to eat - it's the first lower molar).

I decided while I feel confident, to book the hygienist. I'm going in two weeks. I've also decided to go for it and start arranging the implant once I get back from my holiday next month. Hopefully I won't chicken out of that.

I built this up to be HUGE in my head. I couldn't sleep last night and nearly considered cancelling the appointment (and paying the fee, whatever) whilst on my way there this morning. I feel honestly lightheaded with relief.

If you are putting off going - please go. It really may not be as bad as you think. What you imagine, and the constant worry, is almost always much worse.

I know it is easy to say, when you've done it and don't need any treatment. But last time I did this (made a long overdue appointment), I didn't get the all clear: I needed two fillings and an extraction. But I got through it. The feeling of taking control of your health and of facing your fears is actually really empowering. It's lifted my somewhat damaged self esteem.

Thank you to those who commented on my previous anxious post. I wish positive experiences to all of us *hugs*

I know you made this post over a year ago but I am new here and your post inspired. Go you. I am very impressed! Thank you for inspiring me!

Back