• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm a nervous wreck - Can't get numb at the dentist what will help?

  • Thread starter Thread starter faith4jesus
  • Start date Start date
F

faith4jesus

Junior member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
13
As some of you may know (with the website name) I have a lot of Anxiety about the dentist plus to make matters worse I have trouble getting numb. It has taken me 8-10 shots to numb me up for a filling and between that my dentist does test drills asking me if it hurts. Believe me it does.

I have some fillings that need done plus I noticed a crack in a tooth last
night. I dread seeing my dentist again. I have seen him since I was 16 but
problems started when I started having problems getting numb.

My dentist has been kind and understanding over the years. The past few times he has given me pills to relax me (they kind of worked) but even the last time I clearly remember the shots and him drilling when I wasn't full numb. Even after a bunch of shots.

The pills he gave me were more like anxiety pills. The first time around he did use SLEEPING pills which helped a lot.

The problem with the pills he gives me he has to "monitor" me which means a pulse monitor. Now this costs us over $300 each time PLUS the cost of fixing the tooth.

We can't afford it!

I go in today at 3pm to get my broken tooth checked. I am a TOTAL MESS! I'm going on less than 4hrs of sleep, upset stomach due to the fear and I just hate being this way!

Please don't think I'm a big baby about pain. I deal with pain daily due to my bladder problem IC which is like a never ending bladder infection plus the bladder bleeds sometimes too. I also got IBS (stomach pain and awful cramps), I get migraines, awful painful joint pains and so on. Pain is with me daily. I can buckle down and take pain too. (Being sexually abused as a child I learned to block it out) so when I tell my dentist I can FEEL the drill I truely can.
I'm not a wimp or a baby about pain. It's part of my daily life. I hope to get this point across to my dentist too so he knows it is real.


I plan to ask my dentist about giving me some Valuim or something to help me relax where I won't have to be monitored which will cost less.



We are even thinking of changing dentist which I worry about too.



Can anyone help? I hate being like this.


I'm 34.


Ashley
 
This is a really common problem apparently, going by the number of posts here about it.

The most effective thing would be IV sedation, however that'll presumably cost you more than oral tablets did.
 
Sadly we can't afford IV sedation.

I wish we could.
 
Ashley, I am Dr. Thomas Karmen. I am very sorry to hear of your situation and I totally sympathize with you. I certainly wish I had a good answer for you and I can offer a little advice. Unfortunately there are people who have a resistance to our anesthetics. I've found that by using different anesthetics sometimes I have better results and in combination with nitrous oxide (laughing gas) things can be improved. Oral sedation is good but it doesn't do anything for pain, it only helps the anxiety which is a good thing because you're more resistant to pain if you aren't anxious. Hypnosis can be beneficial as well as accupuncture so you might explore those possibilities as well. There's no good cure for your problem but there IS help. You might have your dentist prescribe an oral pain medication which can act also as a sedative before your appointment. Good luck and if I come up with anything else I'll post it for you.:)
 
I just wanted to update - This is GOOD NEWS (I'm sure in a week or so I'll be back nervous)

I wanted share this update -

As you know I was a complete nervous wreck. I'm fair skinned & have some shades of red in my hair. Most people like me will know how funny your skin can be. My skin changes with my mood. So my face was BRIGHT RED and my arms were blotchy red due to be hurting and being scared. So I sure I was sight when I came into the dentist. lol


The nurse asked me how I was and I spoke honestly (which is hard for me being shy and quiet). I told her "Not too well. I wanted to talk to you and the dr. about some things." She said ok and looked a little worried.
Well, I was very up front and honest. I told her "You know I have fear of the dentist and it has gotten a lot worse of the years. I can handle the fear but now that it takes up to 10 shots I just can't take it. Esp. when he drills and I am not numb." I was near tears at this point. She nodded and looked at my record. "We've been doing pills to help with this and the first time worked great but the last time it didn't work too well. Plus it costs us $375 PLUS the fee for fixing the teeth."


To this the nurse JUMPED a bit in shock. I am serious. She was floored. She looked at me and then my records. "Do you mean $375 for all?" I told her "No. We pay $375 for just the pills and monitoring. We just can't afford that."


I went on to explain about the Valuim and how I have learned how that may help plus you just pay for the pills itself. I went on to say almost crying "I've been seeing him for 17yrs. I hate to find a new dentist, but we just can't afford this and I'm an nervous wreck as you can see."
She told me not to worry and they would work things out. Then she left for a moment.


I heard her and my dentist talking outside after bit and he came in. He looked at my tooth and said it needs fixed. He mentioned how he knows I like sedation and I stopped him right there.
I told him just what I told her.
He looked at that moment like he felt so sorry for me. I was shocked and honestly a little stunned. He told me he didn't think the valium would work for me and said he really wanted me to have something stronger.
Next he said "I will waive the sedation fee (the $375) for this tooth and we will talk about the other side soon ok? Don't worry."


TALK ABOUT WANTING TO JUMP UP AND HUG SOMEONE


Next while I was still leaned back in the chair him and the nurse went over what pills I had, what worked, UPPED the dose a lot and worked things out to fix the tooth. He also set me up with some pain pills to cover the pain I'm in now till it gets fixed.


Hopefully next week it will get fixed. They still have to make room for me but hope it is soon since I am in pain.


Let me say . . . I'm in shock still. I knew he was a great dentist but honestly I didn't expect that.


Thanks for those who said they'd pray. Never in my life did I think I could talk so honestly liek that to someone and most of all tell them in a way if you don't work out I'll find someone else who can help me. I am not that type of person.


Hopefully I can get in soon. My husband it will work out best the following week but I don't know if I can wait that long. Pray it is soon!


Thanks again for listening to me whine and my fears. ; )
 
Back
Top