Hi gillis42 I have just read your other thread, I was in your position of having to see a new dentist last year after leaving a nasty one. I was a total wreck, I couldn't sleep and when I did drop off I woke up having nightmares, I couldn't eat, I just felt sick and I was shaking all the time. Crying with fear and I felt really ill.
The day of my appointment came and I don't know how I got through the door and down some stairs to the dentist room, I was shaking, I had pains in my chest, my legs felt like jelly, I couldn't get my breath, felt faint, and couldn't talk, I couldn't even think what words to say other than I am terrified.
I must have looked a state because the dentist ask me to take a seat and that he wasn't going to do anything yet. He asked me details like date of birth and about my medical history and if I had any allergies, I was sat sideways on the chair so my feet were still on the floor, when he had finished he asked if he could have a look just with a mirror. I agreed and was still shaking but he was so patient and understanding, he had a look and took some x rays. That was all, all the time asking if I felt okay to do the x rays etc... no treatment or anything I had to go back for that, but the first visit really is a meet and greet and a look if you feel up to it, like letsconnect and others said in your other thread.
It is hard not to be totally stressed out by this but if you just get yourself to the appointment and let the dentist do the rest on that day, you may be surprised, do explain that you are nervous/petrified and only agree to what you feel you can deal with.
It will be okay, after you will feel so good, I was walking on air for days after my first appointment and others have felt that way too. Explain what you are afraid of.
Best wishes, it will be fine





















